[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1200 posts
2171 upvotes
Alberta

STIR/SHAKEN tech to identify spoofed calls officially kicks in today Nov 30

CTRC News Release
"As of today, telecommunications service providers will certify whether a caller’s identity can be trusted by verifying the caller ID information for Internet Protocol-based voice calls. This new technology will help reduce the frequency and impact of caller ID spoofing. As service providers continue to upgrade their IP networks and offer compatible phones to their customers, more and more Canadians will be able to see the effects of STIR/SHAKEN."

New caller ID law now in place to help fight wave of spam and spoof calls
CBC Nov 30

STIR/SHAKEN is not intended to block calls, but to flag the Caller ID as verified or unverified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN
https://telnyx.com/resources/shaken-stir-explained
36 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1956 upvotes
Up to one-quarter of all calls on mobile networks in Canada are spam right now

Canada's telecommunications regulator is bringing in new laws that will force phone companies to do a better job of identifying who is calling, to help users inundated by nuisance phone calls from telemarketers.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said in a news release Tuesday that phone companies must now implement a technology on their networks that does a better job of weeding out so-called spoof phone calls, which are calls that look like familiar Canadian phone numbers they may want to answer, but are in fact unsolicited spam and nuisance calls from dodgy companies.

Earlier this month, CRTC chair Ian Scott announced that the regulator was going to compel the phone companies to do more about cracking down on such calls, which he said make up as much as 25 per cent of all phone calls on mobile networks in Canada right now.

"Most people likely perceive spoofed calls as a nuisance," Scott said in a speech to a telecom conference earlier this month.

"The truth is, they're more than that. They're gateways for criminals to dupe hard-working people out of their money and their sensitive data. And they're relentless," he said, citing data from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission that suggests there are more than 2,100 robocalls being made to phone users in the U.S. every second of every day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-s ... -1.6267961
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1956 upvotes
Ohh thanks @Dhanushan

Called STIR/SHAKEN eh? A bit of James Bond magic?

To be honest, I don't care who posts it. I'm so excited. I really hope it works.

These spam calls are criminal and anything that can stop them is welcome.

Let's hope it's effective!!!
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
3097 posts
411 upvotes
Markham
It seems that the info is created by the orginator or its service provider and your provider will verify it as trustworthy or not.

I guess no service provider have the ability to fake authentication. :twisted:
Mar 7, 2011
203 posts
165 upvotes
Moronto
Bond's "license to kill" would probably be a better tool to use against these scum. j/k!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5078 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA
Has anyone actually noticed anything different yet? I know it's still early, this isn't completely rolled out yet, and this isn't actually meant to block these calls....

but I've still received a call with the first six digits of my number and other random calls on Telus and a Pixel phone.

Recently turned off call control just to test Pixel call screening
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20535 posts
5990 upvotes
GTA
Got what I assume is a spam call this morning, Call Screening worked excellent as usual.

Ever since I got call screening on my Pixel 2 a few years ago, I get spam calls in clusters and then it stops for a month or two, resumes, and stops.
Jun 21, 2008
559 posts
148 upvotes
mississauga
i got 3 three calls from the CRA saying my SSN has been suspended, in the GTA my oh my /s
Mar 29, 2021
45 posts
35 upvotes
Yeah, I got one 'spam' call and my wife got two today. I guess it is working 'great'.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1956 upvotes
I just saw a Global TV piece on this.

So it doesn't work for overseas calls??????

And it was implemented 2.5 years later than it should have been.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1956 upvotes
Yes, it is very dsiappointing.

Apparently if anyone uses a landline or calls from overseas, it doesn't work. And it was implemented 2.5 years later than it should have. Then the CRTC didn't say that telcos couldn't charge for this service.

What is the point of this?
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4205 posts
1178 upvotes
Mississauga
“Some consumers might see this offered in the coming months with a $1 or $2 per month charge, maybe more,” he said.

Awesome...
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12143 posts
14634 upvotes
Toronto
New technology will help fight spam calls, CRTC says
Destiny is all
May 26, 2020
215 posts
108 upvotes
So much for that. Received 3 today already.
Nov 1, 2018
58 posts
30 upvotes
Don't get this mistaken, but this is far from a reality yet. All this means is that the CRTC gave the providers until the 30th to implement a strategy to meet their regulations and to support STIR/SHAKEN. Proposing a strategy and building the architecture are two very different things.

This protocol has been in the US for a couple years now since the TRACED act was passed and is still very much in development and not standard across the board because STIR/SHAKEN providers need to be authorized by the FCC.

That being said, this is a fairly simple type of strategy to prevent scam calls. Caller presents a certificate which gets referenced with a database and all the recipient will see is a GREEN or RED light indicating the legitimacy.