STIR/SHAKEN tech to identify spoofed calls officially kicks in today Nov 30

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2022 12:10 am
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't received any local spam calls so far...
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote: “Some consumers might see this offered in the coming months with a $1 or $2 per month charge, maybe more,” he said.

Awesome...
DAMN!!!!
Jan 27, 2020
1 posts
Woke up by fake canadian number robo call.

Now I'm calling Fido Mobile asking whether they have STIR/SHAKEN implemented.

After a surprisingly quick 10 minute wait, the customer agent confirms that "WE DON'T HAVE THIS CRTC THING".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
berrytree wrote: ...
Called STIR/SHAKEN eh? A bit of James Bond magic?
STIR = Secure Telephony Identity Revisited
SHAKEN = Secure Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens

Briefly, STIR is a set of technical protocols to help verify/authenticate the calling party’s identification, ensuring that the person/company calling you is actually the person/company you’re speaking with. It is focused mainly on end devices. SHAKEN are standards for how service providers manage STIR-authenticated calls in their networks. It is focused mainly on the actual deployment/implementation process of STIR across carrier networks/service providers.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Dave98 wrote: Has anyone actually noticed anything different yet? I know it's still early, this isn't completely rolled out yet, and this isn't actually meant to block these calls....

but I've still received a call with the first six digits of my number and other random calls on Telus and a Pixel phone.

Recently turned off call control just to test Pixel call screening
So I have Telus wireless, Telus home line, and Fido wireless. I don't have any proof, but I really do think something has changed. I've definitely noticed fewer spam calls since the end of November. It's still early...
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote: So I have Telus wireless, Telus home line, and Fido wireless. I don't have any proof, but I really do think something has changed. I've definitely noticed fewer spam calls since the end of November. It's still early...
Hmm, I have Telus and there's no difference, still spam calls. I think this technology is meant to verify callers. So when you get a call, it tells you "this caller is verified" or something to that extent. Later, the provider may have a way to block calls that are not verified

Also since I'm on iOS...it's currently useless....not sure if anything has changed since iOS13 for this
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/2087 ... ess-iphone
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
This is working really well. I just got a call this morning from border services telling me there is a package with my name as recipient containing something illegal and that I should speak to them to resolve the situation.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
I still get daily calls on Rogers...more garbage from CRTC and whoever think this will stop any spam
Dec 13, 2017
245 posts
220 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Started to get more calls than usual on Shaw. Sigh.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote: So I have Telus wireless, Telus home line, and Fido wireless. I don't have any proof, but I really do think something has changed. I've definitely noticed fewer spam calls since the end of November. It's still early...
Mid December and, in my case, it's definitely better. Still a few calls managed to get through but definitely not the worst ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
What in the world are these long phone numbers starting with 'V'? I've been getting several a day recently.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
46jimbo wrote: What in the world are these long phone numbers starting with 'V'? I've been getting several a day recently.
Those are calls originated from an Auto-dialer, so almost certain they are advertising, marketing or scam calls. They can also be spoofed with a "real number", so you will see the 10-digit number.

If you're on Telus for mobile, turn on their "Call Control" feature which will practically stops all robocalls. If you're not, then just ignore anything that starts with V... Better yet, don't answer any calls from numbers you don't know.

I myself go by "if it's important, they'll leave a message" motto now.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know of any cordless phones (for use on Rogers Home Phone) that support the STIR/SHAKEN protocol? I would like to upgrade my set at home since I doubt it is supported, though I can't find any info on this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Jruuu wrote: Does anyone know of any cordless phones (for use on Rogers Home Phone) that support the STIR/SHAKEN protocol? I would like to upgrade my set at home since I doubt it is supported, though I can't find any info on this.
STIR/SHAKEN does not require special phones or phone capability. It is implemented within the carrier networks. You don't have to do anything to benefit from it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
It does not work, I do not see the red X or green checkmark on my display for incoming calls yet. when will this happen?
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Still get spoofed calls from the those south asian duct cleaning trolls. They are moving to texts so it's about 2 calls and 2 text per week plus the chinese scammers with their Fedex/UPS scam. All calls come in as spoofed with my area code and first 3 numbers matching my own.
I am with Zoomer, if that matters, which is owned by Rogers. perhaps they still didn't do anything or can't do anything.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
never heard of Zoomer, nor have I seen any of their stores.

But I stopped getting calls, I still get the spam text thou
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)