StockTrack - Inventory Checker tool for some Canadian B&M stores

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 2:44 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20696 posts
14531 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
seafish wrote: Stock counts are never 100% accurate in any inventory system (unless you do recounts often and on regular basis). But it's what their system reports.
For example, how to account for shoplifting or people who grab an item off the shelf to look at it then put it back in the wrong place?

I recall seeing a post a while back where someone who knew some item was going to be on sale soon went to the store, grabbed the item and purposely put it back behind other items on a different shelf, hoping to come back when it was on sale and retrieve it from its hiding spot.

I wonder how often stores do stock counts? That must be an awfully expensive (and boring) task for big box stores (and their associates.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3632 posts
3231 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bylo wrote: For example, how to account for shoplifting or people who grab an item off the shelf to look at it then put it back in the wrong place?

I recall seeing a post a while back where someone who knew some item was going to be on sale soon went to the store, grabbed the item and purposely put it back behind other items on a different shelf, hoping to come back when it was on sale and retrieve it from its hiding spot.

I wonder how often stores do stock counts? That must be an awfully expensive (and boring) task for big box stores (and their associates.)
The retail store I used to work at only a full-store count once per year in late January/early February. I actually enjoyed it more than regular shifts (mostly because no customers, got to wear shorts and slippers, listen to music). It did take the whole night but I didn't care because they gave us a premium for working overnight and I always got like 3-4 hours of OT as well >_>

There was a team that did do cycle counts but even still the stock was never 100% accurate.

E: Also shopifting doesn't get caught if the person isn't spotted or if they don't leave the packages behind. If you find an open package that gets processed by AP (they take it out of stock but it gets credited as a known loss and not just missing inventory).
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15210 posts
3922 upvotes
Markham
is it possible to add stock alert?
like for items showing out of stock at certain store location
select a location and select an item
and we get alert when item is back in stock
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1352 posts
495 upvotes
Toronto
If you can add inventory notification to Walmart, thay would be amazing
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
Mar 6, 2008
92 posts
55 upvotes
I bought some masks from Walmart the other day and I’m trying to check stock in other stores, but I’m just getting a not sold status. The correct price is showing up though, so the item seems to exist. Is the items perhaps too new to show up properly?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4752 posts
8770 upvotes
Ottawa
missdiva wrote: I bought some masks from Walmart the other day and I’m trying to check stock in other stores, but I’m just getting a not sold status. The correct price is showing up though, so the item seems to exist. Is the items perhaps too new to show up properly?
Try not to enter the last digit from barcode (it's a check digit and in one of the Walmart API it requires to omit it)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2868 posts
404 upvotes
There's not-insignificant costs involved in running the service, and it'd even more costs if you wanted to do something like outbound price alerts - Perhaps a premium subscription service? I think being able to track-and-alert across your suite of stores would make your tool even more handy.
Mar 6, 2008
92 posts
55 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Try not to enter the last digit from barcode (it's a check digit and in one of the Walmart API it requires to omit it)
Omitting the last digit results in status not sold, this time with no price. The UPC is 628005815377. Could this be an issue with an item that is perhaps not going to be restocked?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
4752 posts
8770 upvotes
Ottawa
missdiva wrote: Omitting the last digit results in status not sold, this time with no price. The UPC is 628005815377. Could this be an issue with an item that is perhaps not going to be restocked?
Seems to be not in their inventory system. This also happens sometimes with DVDs and BDs.
Maybe it's through third-party supplier and inventory is tracked outside Walmart?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1437 posts
467 upvotes
Calgary
@seafish Are you planning on releasing the functionality for Lowe's, or is it still in testing?
Apr 12, 2013
529 posts
404 upvotes
BC
Afternoon Seafish, and another huge thanks for the service.

Q: Have you had any success with the alerts system please?

As an alternative to email, would a simple app with queries and notifications via Android/ios work?

Cheers
Aug 26, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Hi @seafish , huge fan of your work. Just curious if you know about US website brickseek and any plans for making it look similar to it in terms of functionality? I would gladly pay for that service too if you have it in the future.
Cheers!
Sep 8, 2003
259 posts
287 upvotes
Me too @seafish

Anyway in the API to see (and tell us) if items are marked as deleted. I'm tired if seeing items available only to go the store and they tell me that they aren't available and have been marked as "deleted"

The most recent example is this item at the Thornhill Walmart Store #5831 https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=65577201926

Thanks!
Digital Improvements
Most posts are via my mobile, so sorry for any duplicate posts, poor spelling/grammar, lack of photos and other details.