Shopping Discussion

StockTrack - Inventory Checker tool for some Canadian B&M stores

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 9:19 am
Apr 9, 2011
385 posts
242 upvotes
Markham Thornhill Os…
bylo wrote: I would think that depends on the specifics. If it's an expensive item, say a $1,000 BBQ, then unlikely the store will sell out in the time it takes to drive 100km. OTOH if it's some $100 item on sale at Costco (let alone something that's posted in Hot Deals) then your odds are poor.

How about calling the store, tell them it's a 100km drive, and ask them to set one (or a few) of that item aside for you to pick up? Don't say anything about price or discount, etc. that might encourage store staff to hoard.
Thank you for your answer. Wouldnt telling them the UPC or the Walmart item number automatically alert them to the price . Item is currently 49 compared to 150 . shows 15 in stock. Regardless i will call , before i leave and hope they will not take all of them lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5186 posts
10397 upvotes
Ottawa
Cerebros wrote: Thank you for your answer. Wouldnt telling them the UPC or the Walmart item number automatically alert them to the price . Item is currently 49 compared to 150 . shows 15 in stock. Regardless i will call , before i leave and hope they will not take all of them lol.
Is it Beats Solo3? I think they were all cleared back in July. But you might get lucky and find them if it's some walmart far-far-away.
Apr 9, 2011
385 posts
242 upvotes
Markham Thornhill Os…
seafish wrote: Is it Beats Solo3? I think they were all cleared back in July. But you might get lucky and find them if it's some walmart far-far-away.
Haha yea you got it
Mar 6, 2011
252 posts
86 upvotes
You’re most likely safe, but I have seen some items with 10+ available that is all phantom stock, so there is at least some risk
Aug 18, 2020
7 posts
1 upvote
Thanks OP to create this stocktrack. It is a fantastic tracking systems if it was not abused by someone. For example, some people bought all the extremely on sale items that made other customers got no chance to buy one and wasted car gas to shop around.

But for some very hot deals like Walmart’s special offers, both stocktrack and Walmart’s official websites indicated stocks available. When I went there, all stock disappeared. Definitely not always relating to online stock update delay issue, I saw the same number of inventory after 2 days for a hot item.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5186 posts
10397 upvotes
Ottawa
Penpan wrote: Thanks OP to create this stocktrack. It is a fantastic tracking systems if it was not abused by someone. For example, some people bought all the extremely on sale items that made other customers got no chance to buy one and wasted car gas to shop around.

But for some very hot deals like Walmart’s special offers, both stocktrack and Walmart’s official websites indicated stocks available. When I went there, all stock disappeared. Definitely not always relating to online stock update delay issue, I saw the same number of inventory after 2 days for a hot item.
It's called phantom stock.
Manual recounts are rare and there could be errors, lost or damaged items or theft. When you see stock haven't moved for a long time after it was discounted it's most certainly phantom stock. But sometimes it could be hidden at the back, just need to find CSR willing to search for it (but don't be a 'Karen' when asking and don't refer to stocktrack - this won't help and probably quite the opposite)
Apr 19, 2004
880 posts
371 upvotes
Earth
Those TV's that were discounted a lot awhile back..... Stock said 3 staff could not find it. I asked really nicely and the staff scanned every TV box looking for any deal and found the TV's they where in the wrong bay and with the new 2022 TV's that came in...
Aug 20, 2021
1 posts
@seafish What's the api that you use for the walmart tracker to find in store prices and stock? I'm interested in making a cool price walmart stock tracker too.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2712 posts
1099 upvotes
QC, Canada
Yimin123 wrote: @seafish What's the api that you use for the walmart tracker to find in store prices and stock? I'm interested in making a cool price walmart stock tracker too.
you know he barely make any money from ads and you want to steal his idea ?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
Hi seafish,

In the "Online price drop" section, at what time does "Today" start?

Is it Midnight Eastern time? 3 am? Does it vary per merchant?

TIA.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
seafish wrote: it's actually just shows drops that happened up to 24 hours ago
To catch those price drops as soon as possible, do you know by experience if there are better times than others?
For example, overnight, mornings or Mondays?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5186 posts
10397 upvotes
Ottawa
Temporel wrote: To catch those price drops as soon as possible, do you know by experience if there are better times than others?
For example, overnight, mornings or Mondays?
For Walmart it's usually between 9:30 pm and 11 pm, the source 0:30 am and 1 am (sometimes ~5 am). There're probably other stores regular price update but I didn't pay too much attention.
Apr 29, 2020
2 posts
Hi Seafish,

I am a fan of you work.
I send you a private message here, donate to the StockTrack etc...I am working on a huge personal project and i would like you to join my Team. I am living in Gatineau/Ottawa so we can meet whenever you are available. Have a great Weekend.
Jan 13, 2008
2 posts
1 upvote
Hi Seafish, Wanted to thank you for creating Stocktrack. Its a great tool to use. I got a $0.02 deal at Walmart for Lego and used self check-out when cashing out like has been suggested here.

One update for your search is that Walmart closed the Cedarbrae Mall store (Store 1152) (Article about closure).
Jan 13, 2008
2 posts
1 upvote
kdeals wrote: Hi Seafish, Wanted to thank you for creating Stocktrack. Its a great tool to use. I got a $0.02 deal at Walmart for Lego and used self check-out when cashing out like has been suggested here.

One update for your search is that Walmart closed the Cedarbrae Mall store (Store 1152) (Article about closure).

Also store 1137 Malton is also closed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5186 posts
10397 upvotes
Ottawa
kdeals wrote: Hi Seafish, Wanted to thank you for creating Stocktrack. Its a great tool to use. I got a $0.02 deal at Walmart for Lego and used self check-out when cashing out like has been suggested here.

kdeals wrote: Also store 1137 Malton is also closed.
Updated list of stores with what walmart has on their website. Now there're 402 stores (were 428, but some were not actually stores, but pickup locations)
Let me know if some are missing and I'll investigate.
Sep 3, 2020
420 posts
351 upvotes
seafish wrote: Updated list of stores with what walmart has on their website. Now there're 402 stores (were 428, but some were not actually stores, but pickup locations)
Let me know if some are missing and I'll investigate.
Great tool @seafish. Congrats.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
BeamerDreamer2000 wrote: @seafish - Is there any option to get an Email alert on price drop?
No, you would get hundreds of emails at all times of the day and night for stupid little knick-knacks that you don't care about. How long before you would unsubscribe?