StockTrack - Inventory Checker tool for some Canadian B&M stores

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2022 1:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1583 posts
615 upvotes
GTA
I wish they would add lululemon to this website. It would be nice to see all stores with stock (based on their website) vs searching city by city.
Sep 18, 2008
148 posts
95 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Do you use the Chrome extension? If so, feel free to test it out yourself. After clicking on the StockTrack button, the page automatically refreshes with several tracking IDs appended to the URL. Here's an example of what was appended to a URL after the page refreshed on a fresh browser install (no previous cookies, no other extensions except StockTrack):

Walmart: ?cmpid=xxxxx&utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=always_on&utm_content=10&utm_id=xxxxx&siteID=xxxxx&wmlspartner=xxxxx

Home Depot: ?irclickid=xxxxx&irgwc=1&ir_linkd=xxxxx&ir_webid=xxxxx&ir_sid=stocktrack.ca&ir_affid=ONLINE_TRACKING_LINK&ir_affname=Skimbit%20Ltd.&eid=Online%20Tracking%20Link_affiliate_inmpact__EN______575189_

You'll see the same for other sites like Best Buy and Canadian Tire. Note the use of the term affiliate and aff. The same tracking is appended if you click on a product link from the StockTrack website (and there is a disclaimer on the site to that effect).

I assume you're saying it makes no sense because the purpose of StockTrack is to get you to buy in-store. But when an affiliate cookie gets set, it could potentially be valid for 7 days, 30 days, whatever the affiliate program allows. So if you were to make an online purchase later on, affiliate commission would be paid out.

Now I might be wrong about all this and if so, I'm sure @seafish has an explanation as to what's going on. And to be clear, I have no issue with @seafish making money off StockTrack. But I do take issue with a Chrome extension quietly redirecting to affiliate links without any transparency or disclosure.
If you have an issue with something that you don't like for something that is provided for free. You have two options:

1) Don't use it

Or

2) Make a site yourself and do it how you would like.

You're not owed anything whatsoever for a free to use service that isn't forced upon you.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 14th, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8083 posts
13926 upvotes
Montreal
psyko514 wrote: Do you use the Chrome extension? If so, feel free to test it out yourself. After clicking on the StockTrack button, the page automatically refreshes with several tracking IDs appended to the URL. Here's an example of what was appended to a URL after the page refreshed on a fresh browser install (no previous cookies, no other extensions except StockTrack):

(...)

Now I might be wrong about all this and if so, I'm sure @seafish has an explanation as to what's going on. And to be clear, I have no issue with @seafish making money off StockTrack. But I do take issue with a Chrome extension quietly redirecting to affiliate links without any transparency or disclosure.
Ah! There's a post that deserves an answer. I applaud. Thumbs Up Sign

I hope seafish has a look at it.
Sep 8, 2010
328 posts
55 upvotes
Chambly
anyway to get inventory count at walmart instead of just available or limited?
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
10316 posts
11930 upvotes
Toronto
mcu wrote: anyway to get inventory count at walmart instead of just available or limited?
Posted on January 13th by the OP
seafish wrote: Unfortunately, Walmart stopped reporting stock numbers, only status. Sad news, but nothing can be done about this. Will have to use just status at stocktrack as well. Update coming soon.
Nov 27, 2020
16 posts
32 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Do you use the Chrome extension? If so, feel free to test it out yourself. After clicking on the StockTrack button, the page automatically refreshes with several tracking IDs appended to the URL. Here's an example of what was appended to a URL after the page refreshed on a fresh browser install (no previous cookies, no other extensions except StockTrack):

Walmart: ?cmpid=xxxxx&utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=always_on&utm_content=10&utm_id=xxxxx&siteID=xxxxx&wmlspartner=xxxxx

Home Depot: ?irclickid=xxxxx&irgwc=1&ir_linkd=xxxxx&ir_webid=xxxxx&ir_sid=stocktrack.ca&ir_affid=ONLINE_TRACKING_LINK&ir_affname=Skimbit%20Ltd.&eid=Online%20Tracking%20Link_affiliate_inmpact__EN______575189_

You'll see the same for other sites like Best Buy and Canadian Tire. Note the use of the term affiliate and aff. The same tracking is appended if you click on a product link from the StockTrack website (and there is a disclaimer on the site to that effect).

I assume you're saying it makes no sense because the purpose of StockTrack is to get you to buy in-store. But when an affiliate cookie gets set, it could potentially be valid for 7 days, 30 days, whatever the affiliate program allows. So if you were to make an online purchase later on, affiliate commission would be paid out.

You are not charged anything extra for Seafish making a few pennies off of affiliate commission - there's really not an issue here. This is a website he hosts and has created to make life easier for the rest of us. If you have a gripe with supporting him *at no extra cost to you*, then you should probably make your own website or go back to searching for this information manually.
May 28, 2015
135 posts
73 upvotes
Milton, ON
Anyway to see which store has a certain item on sale for a low price or do i have to check the nearest 100 stores to me?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6292 posts
2301 upvotes
Montreal
SmallTowner wrote: You are not charged anything extra for Seafish making a few pennies off of affiliate commission - there's really not an issue here. This is a website he hosts and has created to make life easier for the rest of us. If you have a gripe with supporting him *at no extra cost to you*, then you should probably make your own website or go back to searching for this information manually.
As I mentioned previously, I have no issues with him making money of these tools. I take issue with the lack of proper disclosure. Anyone who cares about their privacy should care about a Chrome extension that redirects you without notice to affiliate programs.

It's industry standard to disclose such behaviour and possibly required by both the affiliate programs he participates in along with the Chrome Web Store.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1293 posts
1203 upvotes
Toronto, ON
psyko514 wrote: As I mentioned previously, I have no issues with him making money of these tools. I take issue with the lack of proper disclosure. Anyone who cares about their privacy should care about a Chrome extension that redirects you without notice to affiliate programs.

It's industry standard to disclose such behaviour and possibly required by both the affiliate programs he participates in along with the Chrome Web Store.
But there's a disclaimer right there?
"StockTrack may receive a small commission for items purchased through links found on our site."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8083 posts
13926 upvotes
Montreal
psyko514 wrote: As I mentioned previously, I have no issues with him making money of these tools. I take issue with the lack of proper disclosure. Anyone who cares about their privacy should care about a Chrome extension that redirects you without notice to affiliate programs.

How much privacy do you expect shopping on the Internet at places like Home Depot, Best Buy or Walmart?

This isn't the CRA or your bank.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6292 posts
2301 upvotes
Montreal
sn00ch wrote: But there's a disclaimer right there?
"StockTrack may receive a small commission for items purchased through links found on our site."
On the website, yes. Not in the Chrome extension.
Mar 5, 2010
701 posts
458 upvotes
Ottawa
That's pretty shitty that they removed the walmart stock numbers but will have to make due.
Pretty sure most of the people using the tool have massively benefited and at least the pricing is still there so that's something useful.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3828 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
stocktrack isnt working for me. does anyone know why?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4256 posts
7461 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
Sprite_TM wrote: stocktrack isnt working for me. does anyone know why?
It is up now, so it's a problem on your end. Try a private window. If that works then clean your cookies and cache
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3262 posts
1291 upvotes
Ottawa
psyko514 wrote: Does the Chrome plugin refresh the page using referral codes after clicking a button?
Yes. It seems to.

I tested this by:

1) Finding the direct product link (without any additional parameters in the URL) for 2 different online stores.
2) Running a new instance of Google Chrome Portable
3) Installing only the extension
4) Pasting the first of 2 item links.
5) Click the SttockTrack button.
6) The first tab with the item details performs a redirect to the stocktrack click.php endpoint (aka similar to the manual steps in step #8) which then redirects you to the same page but with additional parameters (same as your other list). # of cookies on the site goes from 34 -> 66.
7) A new window opens with StockTrack.
8) Click the link to the item's web page (in bottom left). The URL it takes to is the same as in #6, with a different clickID (at least for when I tested with HomeDepot)

But of course, you probably already figured that given the lack of response.

To everyone else keep complaining about psyko514's concerns - would you still be ok if a javascript cryptominer was present on the page?
After all you're consuming a free service and somehow that's been a prevalant justification here.

The point of this is just disclosure. Look at the "Privacy Practices" tab for similar extensions. There's a reason they felt the need to list/disclose it.

Rakuten - Web history, User activity, Website content
Honey - Personally identifiable information, Financial and payment information, Location, Web history, Website content
Shopback Button - Web history, User activity
(popular coupon code site) Deal Finder - Personally identifiable information, Location, Web history, User activity
Dec 2, 2017
63 posts
459 upvotes
@seafish Is there a way that we can add favorite items to the main page so we can see when the price drops? Thanks.