• Sep 22nd, 2020 10:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1072 posts
564 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Stokke Tripp Trapp high chair

I'm planning on getting the Stokke tripp trapp high chair for my baby.. wondering what are some thoughts on it? Is it worth it for the complete? or just high chair will suffice?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
What do you mean by complete? The infant insert and straps? Cushion? Tray?

Have used it with three kids. It's great. First two used the infant insert 5-8 months or so. Straps till at least 1.5 yrs. With last kid we used a cheap IKEA chair for the 5-8 months and put the kid right into it at 8 months with only straps. Actually even with the insert it is not ideal for very small kids. I don't know if the straps are essential. It controls them but if they will quickly learn without them if you are patient and don't mind a bonk or two.
Never had the seat cushion and don't think the tray is needed either. Others swear by trays to keep the food contained and also some kids can push themselves to tip over at at table though now provide an extender to prevent this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1072 posts
564 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fogetmylogin wrote: What do you mean by complete? The infant insert and straps? Cushion? Tray?

Have used it with three kids. It's great. First two used the infant insert 5-8 months or so. Straps till at least 1.5 yrs. With last kid we used a cheap IKEA chair for the 5-8 months and put the kid right into it at 8 months with only straps. Actually even with the insert it is not ideal for very small kids. I don't know if the straps are essential. It controls them but if they will quickly learn without them if you are patient and don't mind a bonk or two.
Never had the seat cushion and don't think the tray is needed either. Others swear by trays to keep the food contained and also some kids can push themselves to tip over at at table though now provide an extender to prevent this.
When I'm looking there is the Tripp Trapp complete high chair with the cushions and tray, where as the normal one seems to be only the chair without cushion and tray. Trying to decide which one is needed. My wife thinks the tray is not necessary, but I am having some doubts since our dinner table is glass. Don't want her to be throwing stuff on to the table if we put her right up to the dinner table.

The infant insert is probably not needed for me now since my daughter is 7 months already.. Thanks for the input! I think I will go with the regular tripp trapp high chair instead of the complete set.
Jan 16, 2009
379 posts
151 upvotes
Vancouver
These things last forever. I am using a hand me down that's close to 15 years old, it's still sturdy and all. Bought the infant tray insert (no cushion ) cause you need it for under 1.5, then they get too big and won't fit. Over 2 year old they can climb up by themselve and eat with us at table without seatbelt.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
patrickkc wrote: When I'm looking there is the Tripp Trapp complete high chair with the cushions and tray, where as the normal one seems to be only the chair without cushion and tray. Trying to decide which one is needed. My wife thinks the tray is not necessary, but I am having some doubts since our dinner table is glass. Don't want her to be throwing stuff on to the table if we put her right up to the dinner table.

The infant insert is probably not needed for me now since my daughter is 7 months already.. Thanks for the input! I think I will go with the regular tripp trapp high chair instead of the complete set.
She absolutely will be throwing stuff on the table either way. I actually found my small glass table I had at the time easier to clean than a tray. Now a wood table with cracks between each plank much more annoying.
Feb 10, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Any leads on where to get it for a good price? There are some on kijiji but still for about $200+
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2565 posts
1738 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
presencegirl wrote: Any leads on where to get it for a good price? There are some on kijiji but still for about $200+
I have seen the “complete set” on sale at West Coast Kids and Dearborn baby in the last week.
Aug 20, 2006
198 posts
10 upvotes
We have been using it for both our kids. The older one is now 3.5 years old using just the chair and the younger one is about 1.5 (still barely fitting into the infant seat).

I would say the tray with infant seat is useful to keep things in one place and prevent baby from knocking over other things on the dining table.

We use the cushions as the seat is made of wood to cushion them a bit. Overall would recommend highly and anticipate getting a few more years of use out of it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11191 posts
3455 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think they have wheels, not too inconvenient to move the chair around?
They are nice chairs but kinda heavy.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1298 posts
1673 upvotes
Salesperson was very convincing when we were shopping for a high chair for our 2nd kid. We were about to walk out with one until we came to our senses that 500 bucks for a high chair was a bit too much.
We bought a 4moms for like $150 cheaper and are very happy with it. Lots of stuff to buy for a new born and that extra money can go somewhere else.
Of course if money is no issue then get whatever floats your boat.