Home & Garden

Stone on top of brick on exterior of house? What's this called and how much does it typically cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2021 2:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
5393 posts
3033 upvotes
Parry Sound

Stone on top of brick on exterior of house? What's this called and how much does it typically cost?

See how the bottom half of the house has a ledge and then stone underneath.. I want to add that to my house which is currently all brick.

1) How much does this typically cost per sqft (or whatever measurement they use)?

2) Do they remove the bricks or do they just put the stones on top?

3) What's this called? Brick siding? I'm not sure what to search for on Google..

4) Any recommendations/referrals?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2034 posts
1772 upvotes
GTA
You'll have to call around a few masonry companies and get quotes for your area. It will vary depending on location and what your scope of work is. IIRC the good stuff I was looking at was around $60/sqft for just mateirals, list price. That said, there is a huge range in material pricing.

In most cases there would be no bricks under the stone, but you could see what the options are and what the resulting looks/offsets will be. Again, consult a professional, or two, or three.

Stone exterior, stone veneer siding, something along those lines should steer you in the right direction.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1043 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: 3) What's this called? Brick siding? I'm not sure what to search for on Google..
The overall term for non-structural stonework is stone veneer. 'Stone veneer <your city name>' is a reasonable place to start looking for companies that do this kind of work.

I'm not sure if it's feasible to add stone veneer onto an existing brick wall. You might run into problems with available weight capacity on the existing wall (especially if you have brick veneer rather than structural brick) or moisture management issues (brick must be allowed to drain or it will disintegrate). Get opinions from several experienced brick/stone people before you go ahead with this project.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3631 posts
1856 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea I think this is one of those builder upgrade options that has to be done from the start.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3528 posts
1114 upvotes
Ancaster
Bricks where the stone will go have to be removed. I've always called that a stone skirt.

Many homes get it as a feature just for the front and wrap around the side walls about a foot or so.