• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 8:56 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes

Stone veneer on porch columns

I wonder if anyone here put stone veneer on porch columns (from top to bottom). The paint on our porch columns are peeling off. I was told that I need to sand them first and then paint them. It will be very time consuming or costs a lot if I hire someone to do so. The issue is that it is not a permanent soluation as the paint will peel again eventually. I am thinking if I can just hire a contractor to put stone veneer on the porch columns. It will be expensive but should be one time expense and the stone covered columns will look a lot nicer. What do you guys think ?

Something like this:
Last edited by rdx on Oct 8th, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1200 posts
667 upvotes
Ripley
Consider vinyl. They look just like painted columns without the upkeep.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
zeddy wrote: Consider vinyl. They look just like painted columns without the upkeep.
I think mine are already vinyl from the builders (how do check and confirm), but there is paint on it.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1710 posts
910 upvotes
Toronto
Many stone finishes on homes look like lipstick on a pig. If done right and your house's original style suits stone, then go for it. If not, it'll look like you are trying to turn your cookie cutter house into an Edwardian manor on the cheap. If anything, go with a larger stone, not those tiny mosaic stones you linked in the pic. Those look dated minutes after application. If possible, I would try to match the brick or siding of the house and wrap the columns like that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5684 posts
3433 upvotes
You are going to spend thousands of dollars to avoid an hour of painting every 5-10 years?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3702 posts
2657 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
As hoponpop stated, adding this type of "feature" to your home can make it look absurd if it doesn't suit the style of architecture. You'd be better off hiring someone to case the columns in aluminum.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6564 posts
1116 upvotes
I think that attached picture shows exactly what you should avoid. The style doesn't match and the columns look out of place.