• May 20th, 2021 12:04 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
855 posts
137 upvotes
BC

Stone wall installation questions

Hey All,

We're planning on getting a stone wall installed with 65 inch tv and 60 inch fire place.

I have a couple of questions:

1) would it be too much for fire place and TV both to be plugged in under one electric circuit? Our fire place is 120 V / 1400 W / 4,777 BTU. We have not ordered the TV so no clue on the voltage
2) If we should/need a new electrical circuit, how much does it cost to install a new circuit. I guess one circuit would be for the fire place, which is already there at the bottom of the wall but we would need a new one in the middle where the TV would go.
3) what is a reasonable quote to get the stone wall installed.

Open for advice or suggestions from those that have gotten it installed.

Thank you,
8 replies
Nov 22, 2018
174 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
when I did my basement reno, I put a single circuit in for a fireplace only
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1420 posts
1145 upvotes
GTA
Pursuit2013 wrote: 1) would it be too much for fire place and TV both to be plugged in under one electric circuit? Our fire place is 120 V / 1400 W / 4,777 BTU. We have not ordered the TV so no clue on the voltage
2) If we should/need a new electrical circuit, how much does it cost to install a new circuit. I guess one circuit would be for the fire place, which is already there at the bottom of the wall but we would need a new one in the middle where the TV would go.
3) what is a reasonable quote to get the stone wall installed.
1) Do the load calculations for 80%. If more stuff is plugged in you probably have issues. Do you know what else is on that circuit, is it 15A or 20A, etc etc?

2) If its mostly unfinished $200-300 probably, but again, just call a few electricians in your area. If its unfinished it will basically be the cost of them to show up plus materials. If it has to be run through finished spaces, you're going to pay more.

3) Cost of material + $5-15/sqft for labour. Might be a premium if its smaller, also if you go with slabs or cast stone, the skys the limit. Again, call around and ask for some quotes.

As per a lot of these threads and questions - the reason you won't get a good answer or many replies is because your scope is so poorly defined no one can really help you.
Dec 6, 2020
565 posts
570 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: 1) would it be too much for fire place and TV both to be plugged in under one electric circuit? Our fire place is 120 V / 1400 W / 4,777 BTU.
Devices that draw that much power should be on dedicated circuits.

You can probably get away with running both the fireplace and the TV on the same circuit, but if you plug a cable box and a gaming system into the same circuit, you will likely trip the breaker. You will definitely trip the breaker if someone plugs a vacuum cleaner into the same circuit as the fireplace.

It will cost a lot more to retrofit a new circuit once the stone wall is built, so you should get this done right the first time so you don't have to spend a lot to get it fixed later.

Run a new circuit for the fireplace and relocate the existing receptacle to power the TV.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
855 posts
137 upvotes
BC
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: 1) Do the load calculations for 80%. If more stuff is plugged in you probably have issues. Do you know what else is on that circuit, is it 15A or 20A, etc etc?
Thanks. Yes, looking into it separate circuits make sense to me.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
855 posts
137 upvotes
BC
middleofnowhere wrote: Devices that draw that much power should be on dedicated circuits.

You can probably get away with running both the fireplace and the TV on the same circuit, but if you plug a cable box and a gaming system into the same circuit, you will likely trip the breaker. You will definitely trip the breaker if someone plugs a vacuum cleaner into the same circuit as the fireplace.

It will cost a lot more to retrofit a new circuit once the stone wall is built, so you should get this done right the first time so you don't have to spend a lot to get it fixed later.

Run a new circuit for the fireplace and relocate the existing receptacle to power the TV.
Thanks. There's a circuit placed in the bottom left side of the wall, I was thinking of using that for the fire place and getting a new circuit or relocating another one for the TV. Would that work?
Dec 6, 2020
565 posts
570 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Thanks. There's a circuit placed in the bottom left side of the wall, I was thinking of using that for the fire place and getting a new circuit or relocating another one for the TV. Would that work?
A circuit is not the same thing as a receptacle (outlet). You have to consider the power draw from all other devices on the same circuit (not just the same receptacle) when estimating loads.

Reusing an existing receptacle for the fireplace wouldn't be a good idea unless there's nothing else on the circuit but that single outlet. If you add the fireplace to an existing circuit that serves other loads, the breaker will trip if you turn on anything non-trivial while the fireplace is running. It doesn't matter if the 'something else' is an entertainment center (TV+cable box+game rig) on the same receptacle or lighting elsewhere in the house on the same circuit.

The underlying concern here is not adding the TV to any random circuit, it's adding the fireplace to a circuit that serves other loads. The fireplace can't get along with other loads and should have a circuit dedicated to itself with no other receptacles, lights, or other devices.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2013
855 posts
137 upvotes
BC
middleofnowhere wrote: A circuit is not the same thing as a receptacle (outlet). You have to consider the power draw from all other devices on the same circuit (not just the same receptacle) when estimating loads.

Reusing an existing receptacle for the fireplace wouldn't be a good idea unless there's nothing else on the circuit but that single outlet. If you add the fireplace to an existing circuit that serves other loads, the breaker will trip if you turn on anything non-trivial while the fireplace is running. It doesn't matter if the 'something else' is an entertainment center (TV+cable box+game rig) on the same receptacle or lighting elsewhere in the house on the same circuit.

The underlying concern here is not adding the TV to any random circuit, it's adding the fireplace to a circuit that serves other loads. The fireplace can't get along with other loads and should have a circuit dedicated to itself with no other receptacles, lights, or other devices.
This was immensely helpful. Thank you