Automotive

Stop trading your car to the dealership!!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 4:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13394 posts
1223 upvotes

Stop trading your car to the dealership!!

For the first time in a long time, I'm in search of a used vehicle. By far, my biggest frustration is the lack of private sales for newer vehicles. Kijiji and Autotrader are infested with dealerships and lots. You realize that when you sell to a dealership or lot, they are tacking on 50% to the value of your car.. Why not take 25% for yourself, and pass the other 25% to a buyer? That way, everyone wins.

I'm finding it nearly impossible to find any decent private sales, and it's because people insist on letting dealerships rip everyone off. When you filter autotrader for private sales, you eliminate 90% of the options. Trade-ins are the worst, because they get you coming and going. Before you trade your car in for $8000, sell it to me for $10,000 instead. That way I don't have to buy it from a dealership for $12,000.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
65 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15635 posts
4386 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
it's because people don't want hassle. they just want to drop off the keys and pickup the keys to their new car.

like would you want some random taking your car out for a joy ride only to pass and potentially break stuff without any liability? I wouldn't.

that and saving the hst on the value of the trade in makes it a bit more desirable to trade in...
Last edited by nasa25 on Nov 9th, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1047 posts
710 upvotes
Ottawa
Also, you save sales tax on trade-in amount, no?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7798 posts
1875 upvotes
Brampton
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:05 pm
it's because people don't want hassle. they just want to drop off the keys and pickup the keys to their new car.

like do I want some random taking my car out for a joy ride only to pass and potentially break stuff without any liability? I wouldn't.

that and saving the hst on the value of the trade in makes it a bit more desirable to trade in...
Seriously by the time it's all said and done and you factor in the last part the hassle of going to Kijiji/AT just to get all those tire kickers and weirdos call you up. It's easier just to Trade it in.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18769 posts
4053 upvotes
Toronto
most buyers will want safety to ensure they are not buying a problem
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8997 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
Syne wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:02 pm
For the first time in a long time, I'm in search of a used vehicle. By far, my biggest frustration is the lack of private sales for newer vehicles. Kijiji and Autotrader are infested with dealerships and lots. You realize that when you sell to a dealership or lot, they are tacking on 50% to the value of your car.. Why not take 25% for yourself, and pass the other 25% to a buyer? That way, everyone wins.

I'm finding it nearly impossible to find any decent private sales, and it's because people insist on letting dealerships rip everyone off. When you filter autotrader for private sales, you eliminate 90% of the options. Trade-ins are the worst, because they get you coming and going. Before you trade your car in for $8000, sell it to me for $10,000 instead. That way I don't have to buy it from a dealership for $12,000.
What used vehicle are you looking at? Ya kijiji and autotrader is filled with used car dealers, little private sales.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15635 posts
4386 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
tebore wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:10 pm
Seriously by the time it's all said and done and you factor in the last part the hassle of going to Kijiji/AT just to get all those tire kickers and weirdos call you up. It's easier just to Trade it in.
yup if I'm selling a beige corolla it's one thing. Just get brampton on the line and that thing sells in one day

If you're selling a car with a more niche market then

a) it'll take longer to sell
b) if it's a luxury vehicle with expensive components, the probability of something breaking is more than minimal as the potential buyers will be pushing the car to its limits most likely
c) you're gonna have a shitload of tire kickers unless you price the thing exceptionally low

not worth it
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28238 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, the theory that you can get a much better deal by selling privately may not be all true.
As others have said, it takes effort. It takes time. I takes a lot of patience and it takes weeding out the serious from the tire kickers and those piss off emails fro some guy at sea or out of country so hold it till he gets back. And in the end, you may not get what you are asking anyway.
I traded my car in because, in the end, I got what I thought I could get privately. I visited some dealers several times, they knew I was a serious shopper and waited till the end of the month of the quarter and got what I wanted.
So, sorry OP, getting a deal is getting a deal and the supposed "stealerships" are stealing your used cars too. :)
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10144 posts
701 upvotes
Mississauga
Selling on Kijiji just seems like way too much hassle. You've got to be available to deal with prospective buyers, most of which will be tire kickers. Then there are the various scam artists, and if you're really unlucky, the guy you go on a test drive with may end up murdering you and disposing of the body!
Oct 16, 2007
983 posts
240 upvotes
A lot of people dont want the hassle of showing their cars. Other people may not have the driveway space to have 2 cars as they wait for one to sell. Its mostly a convinence thing.
- Insert Soemthing here so you will be able to recoginze me.
Jul 5, 2011
983 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
Sure if you have the free time to deal with:
  • Test pilots and people with little intention of buying
  • Lowball offers galore and people trying to "steal" your vehicle
  • Arranging appointments and test drives only for the people to bail or never show up
  • Scammers, thieves, shady individuals and the like
  • Phone calls, emails, text messages, more phone calls
  • The hassle of performing the safety or the possibility of reconditioning requested by the only guy willing to pay near what you're asking... "I'll buy it but I want these 3 panels fixed" - now what do you do?
  • Having to accompany the buyer to Service Ontario and witness the ownership transfer, otherwise be at risk of having the vehicle left in your name / used inappropriately
  • Having the vehicle break down / have a major issue shortly after the sale and having the new buyer harass you for compensation or similar
  • Dealing with your listings on multiple websites and making sure they stay current, etc
  • Time, lots of time & having to be available almost anytime for potential buyers
  • Finding the car / the deal / etc you want in your new vehicle and having to postpone the purchase to sell your car
  • Even worse, signing the new deal then having to try to sell your car afterwards (as mentioned)
Sorry op, but the delta between wholesale and retail isn't even close to the 50% you stated and for the vast majority of people it just isn't worth it to sell privately.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Dec 28, 2010
280 posts
92 upvotes
Dealerships offer car loans and most of the time some warranty. That weighs against the risk of buying a lemon on Craig's or Kijiji.
Actions speak louder than words
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5108 posts
662 upvotes
Easier to trade your car in to a dealership

Safer to trade your car into a dealership (Tim Bosma?)

Also not many good places to search for used cars anymore. Autotrade and Kijiji are just endless walls of dealer ads. Wish there was a was to isolate FSBO ads
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7341 posts
1055 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:08 pm
Also, you save sales tax on trade-in amount, no?
Yes, thats why ops "Before you trade your car in for $8000, sell it to me for $10,000 instead" isnt enough for the seller to endure what could be a massive hassle. In ON that 8K to a trade is worth $9040 to the buyer compared to cash. Is the other $1k worth it to deal with all kinds of flakes, the problem with timing - do you end up with the second car, insured, while you try and find a buyer at your price. Most don't think its worth it.