Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2012
105 posts
12 upvotes
OTTAWA
bonterra wrote:
Oct 28th, 2013 12:20 am
What is it with cilantro? I have a big bag of frozen herbs, basil, tarragon, sage, savoury, oregano, parsley, dill, bay leaves....but cilantro... freeze it and it just loses all characteristic taste.
You're right about cilantro losing its taste when frozen, but I wouldn't say that it loses "all characteristic" taste. I think it does keep some faint taste if it is part of some kind of salsa, and the salsa is then frozen; or if it has been added to curry sauce and the sauce is then frozen.

Over time, I have learnt how to keep it in the fridge for longer than usual period and that is by washing the bunch, often just the roots if the leaves are fairly clean of sand or soil. The whole bunch is then put in a large enough container with water covering the root area. The whole shebang is then loosely covered with a plastic bag, secured around the container with a plastic band. This way I can keep a bunch for up to two weeks or more. This works well with watercress, asparagus and any other greens that need to be kept for a more or less long period in the fridge. The problem is that often there's not enough room on the fridge's shelves for everything.

BTW, you have fresh bay leaves? Where do you get them? The dry ones are pitiful really. A friend of mine bought a small plant in Montreal last summer. She promised to take me next year. I really want to get a plant of my own.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14795 posts
2802 upvotes
Toronto
HeavenLeigh wrote:
Oct 28th, 2013 1:18 pm
Lol!! I would eat that within a few days of buying just to be safe...I agree with also putting stuff in the freezer but sometimes those things get forgotten. I always do the smell test...I'm leery of chicken and milk after the best before date though...that's just the runs waitin to happen
LOL! The EXACT bread I speak of is the new Country Harvest bread with Spinach and some other veggies.
WHAT??? ONLY 340g? The expiry date isn't scaring me away now. The price is! lol
I think I'll pass thanks!
(Dempsters has the full 600g Veggie loaf, using carrot and Pumpkin as the "Veggie" for the same price as the Country Harvest 340g Veggie breads.)