• Sep 12th, 2019 4:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15958 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto

Stopping The Sale Of Over-Face Value Tickets On RedFlagDeals

I was looking up the bump rules for my tickets and I happen to catch a post that says,
Ticket pricing rules have been updated
Tickets are no longer required to be sold for at or below asking price. It's become too difficult to us to regulate this based on dynamic pricing.

Buyers can decide whether they want to pay the price or not. If you feel a price is too high, simply ignore the thread and move on. Do not thread crap because you feel tickets are being listed for too high a price.
I'd ask that you re-consider this change. This is a real shame. RedFlagDeals has always been the place (in my mind) where tickets have to be sold at face value or less. You come with your best offers, or you don't come at all.
With traffic the way it is ALREADY regarding ticket sales and the fact that sites like Kijiji are closing up shop for selling tickets (announced this week in Toronto), I'm not sure WHY the site has chosen to go this route?

Yes, it is absolutely difficult to track this, however users needed to prove that they were selling their tickets fairly or their ad was flagged by other users. This whole process works because we were self moderating (IMO), other than stepping in to remove the ad. If we've made a mistake and they argue that, then the ad will ultimately go back up.

But allowing ANY PRICE for ANY TICKETS is just going to become a free-for-all. That's what other sites are about - Not RedFlagDeals!

Please, re-consider this. This is a shame that this rule change has taken place and I hope it can be reversed. Our ticket BST was unique in that we had that rule. Now, we are just becoming like everyone else. Prepare to be flooded with professional scalpers and scammers.
RedFlagDeals addict
5 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23826 posts
3386 upvotes
It wasn't self policing as much as you think it was. We were policing it regularly and we were doing so without the required information of knowing what face value truly was. It was simply too difficult and time consuming to enforce. No sense in having a rule that's not enforceable. I can tell you though that this isn't necessarily a permanent change. That BST section will be monitored to see the effect the rule change has.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
3927 posts
2398 upvotes
Burnaby
DaVibe wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2019 10:58 pm
Stopping The Sale Of Over-Face Value Tickets On RedFlagDeals

I was looking up the bump rules for my tickets and I happen to catch a post that says,

I'd ask that you re-consider this change. This is a real shame. RedFlagDeals has always been the place (in my mind) where tickets have to be sold at face value or less. You come with your best offers, or you don't come at all.
With traffic the way it is ALREADY regarding ticket sales and the fact that sites like Kijiji are closing up shop for selling tickets (announced this week in Toronto), I'm not sure WHY the site has chosen to go this route?

Yes, it is absolutely difficult to track this, however users needed to prove that they were selling their tickets fairly or their ad was flagged by other users. This whole process works because we were self moderating (IMO), other than stepping in to remove the ad. If we've made a mistake and they argue that, then the ad will ultimately go back up.

But allowing ANY PRICE for ANY TICKETS is just going to become a free-for-all. That's what other sites are about - Not RedFlagDeals!

Please, re-consider this. This is a shame that this rule change has taken place and I hope it can be reversed. Our ticket BST was unique in that we had that rule. Now, we are just becoming like everyone else. Prepare to be flooded with professional scalpers and scammers.
Dynamic pricing for tickets are just auctions. This new rule just formalizes that RedFlagDeals welcomes ticket scalpers.

Instead, the BST rule for tickets should state that if a ticket doesn't have a face value, its sale is not allowed through the RFD-BST forum. This or not allowing ticket sales whatsoever on RFD (by posting threads on RFD-BST or through signatures or reply posts.)
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15958 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:52 am
It wasn't self policing as much as you think it was. We were policing it regularly and we were doing so without the required information of knowing what face value truly was. It was simply too difficult and time consuming to enforce. No sense in having a rule that's not enforceable. I can tell you though that this isn't necessarily a permanent change. That BST section will be monitored to see the effect the rule change has.
I'm a believer that with straight forward, firm rules, our problem would be solved.

Event, Date, Ticket form (paper, e-ticket), retail per ticket and your price. Without a user speaking to the face-value of the tickets and the fact that their tickets are AT or BELOW the posted face value, their ad is subject to being deleted.
Any mod, with no ticket knowledge, could do this job with as little as 1 hour a day (I'm being generous but I would imagine that the back-end of RFD might take longer than it seems).
Heck, I would volunteer my own time if I wasn't so busy. But quite frankly, with these rules in place, it shouldn't take much time.

There is much room here, but that's fine. The rules are in place to keep scalpers under control, otherwise we are going to get FLOODED.
Season ticket holders pay substantially less for their tickets and sell them at retail costs (or below) here on RFD - Great, who cares.
Someone can't make a concert or decides to sell, they sell at or below cost to the RFD audience - amazing!
Someone who belongs on another site, finds RFD and posts up their Drake-sold out OVO concert tickets, 3x the asking price - NOT HERE!

I think with a rule in place, the users of the site have to follow the rule. There are many users, such as myself, who go through ads and when they see things, they flag them. Then the ad is removed.

Could an ad slip through the cracks and get some posted views for hours, maybe days, before someone see's it? Sure, that could hypothetically happen.
However, the rule is there so that when it is found, something can be done about it, rather than "Well, I guess this is out of our hands"

No, RFD has been at or below face value for years. Simply saying "it's hard to track" is not something I am going to accept.
Again, lack of time, but I'd be willing to volunteer time in getting this up and running, if someone wanted to call me on that. I will gladly take time, per day, to review ads in the ticket section. The amount of NEW content is not very high and I think any reasonable mod could do this with the right tools.

Please, please, please re-consider this rule. The status quo worked well! The rule sits and the users will police it. At the very least, the rule is there, so when someone see's something, they can flag it and a mod deletes it.

Edit: So yes, I am absolutely volunteering myself as mod of the ticket section, because I am so passionate about keeping the site running smoothly, especially when it comes to this. I've recommended RFD ticket section to so many friends and family. With these rule changes, I can no longer do that.
RedFlagDeals addict
May 21, 2018
284 posts
230 upvotes
I agree. Its nice to have a place to search for tickets at or below face value. I'm sick and tired of having to stumble upon a pair of leaf tickets just to watch a hockey game. I would also volunteer as MOD to help with this.

Its simple enough. Just need the volunteers to take the time to do it.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15958 posts
3099 upvotes
Toronto
I've also been a part of groups that enforced photos with posts, proving face value. No proof, post is deleted.

I have to say, purchasing Raptor tickets here on RFD was a real challenge because people would message me with ticket prices 10x above retail. I'm not kidding.

I ended up taking my business elsewhere and purchased from a re-seller site.

In Ontario, with Kijiji removing itself from allowing ticket sales and Facebook not allowing it at all, we are limited in the amount of locations tickets can go up (currently, I would actually say there is no good location).

As the remaining sites are for re-sellers (Craigslist, eBay, Stubhub, etc.), it was nice that RFD was not participating in that (previously). This will bring the wrong type of traffic to the site IMO.

Again, I would love to help moderate this section for this purpose.
RedFlagDeals addict