Off Topic

Store Broken Into - Have Some Questions

[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes

Store Broken Into - Have Some Questions

I own a small business that was broken into yesterday night. The culprit was caught by police and the money stolen was returned. Unfortunately, my store front window (50 by 58 inches) is completely broken. The police said that they will try to get the culprit to pay for the damage, but nothing guaranteed.

Should I go through insurance to fix my window? I'm assuming my monthly premium will increase, is it worth it? Is there any way I can get the culprit to pay for the damage?
Last edited by IHavocI on May 7th, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
643 upvotes
IHavocI wrote: I own a small business that was broken into yesterday night. The culprit was caught by police and the money stolen was returned. Unfortunately, my front store window (50 by 58 inches) is completely broken. The police said that they will try to get the culprit to pay for the damage, but nothing guaranteed.

Should I go through insurance to fix my window? I'm assuming my monthly premium will increase, is it worth it? Is there any way I can get the culprit to pay for the damage?
How much to fix the window? Price quotes?
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes
Sgtalpowell wrote: How much to fix the window? Price quotes?
Police officer estimated around 1500 for glass and installation. I called a bunch of places and only 1 quote so far, 2000 for the glass and installation. Almost every place I called does not do commercial windows.
Jul 5, 2004
24748 posts
4042 upvotes
Sue the person in court for damages as well as your loss prevention costs. The Bay is known for doing that
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1926 posts
1449 upvotes
Canada
IHavocI wrote: I own a small business that was broken into yesterday night. The culprit was caught by police and the money stolen was returned. Unfortunately, my front store window (50 by 58 inches) is completely broken. The police said that they will try to get the culprit to pay for the damage, but nothing guaranteed.

Is this on the news?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14158 posts
14863 upvotes
The Bay sues civilly as a disincentive to future thievery, the strict monetary payback on these suits isn't worth it.

Don't waste your time in civil litigation, not for the pittance you're paying after insurance. I guarantee you're wasting your time, Chet from the Country Club did not cause this damage, and Cletus has no money.

Not to make this political, but petty thefts are up because the CERBers are out and about with spare time on their hands. Be cautious and observant during the shutdown.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: Is this on the news?
I highly doubt it. It's a very small business and it wasn't too major to make a news worthy story.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Sue the person in court for damages as well as your loss prevention costs. The Bay is known for doing that
What is the Bay?
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
10239 posts
106 upvotes
Oakville, ON
IHavocI wrote: What is the Bay?
Hudson Bay Company. Been around for centuries.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes
king_george wrote: Hudson Bay Company. Been around for centuries.
Okay. I thought he was referring to a completely different Bay, not Hudson's Bay.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Sue the person in court for damages as well as your loss prevention costs. The Bay is known for doing that
Good luck with that, these punks don't have money for a cigarette never mind a $2k window. OP use your insurance, thats why you have it for, otherwise don't have insurance and put your monthly payment into your bank account.

Criminals are never made to pay damages, thats why they go to jail.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5721 posts
961 upvotes
IHavocI wrote: Police officer estimated around 1500 for glass and installation. I called a bunch of places and only 1 quote so far, 2000 for the glass and installation. Almost every place I called does not do commercial windows.
I work in claims - whats your deductible? Whats your claims history ?
speak with the broker and ask them how your insurer responds to single claims ( each insurer will treat a claim differently in terms of rates )....obviously less claims the better

Also as far as getting money , good luck , mostly its a crap shoot but you could try and speak to the officer and see if the punk has any funds..if he does do a small claims court action yourself ( if you are paying for the claim )
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5721 posts
961 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: Good luck with that, these punks don't have money for a cigarette never mind a $2k window. OP use your insurance, thats why you have it for, otherwise don't have insurance and put your monthly payment into your bank account.

Criminals are never made to pay damages, thats why they go to jail.
Use your insurance for bigger claims - not every one...I've had two claims recently from the same business ( one was broken glass, one was flood , I advised the insurer to either to get off risk or increase the deductible substantially , at least one of which they are likely to do )

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!

[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
655 posts
379 upvotes
rb wrote: I work in claims - whats your deductible? Whats your claims history ?
speak with the broker and ask them how your insurer responds to single claims ( each insurer will treat a claim differently in terms of rates )....obviously less claims the better

Also as far as getting money , good luck , mostly its a crap shoot but you could try and speak to the officer and see if the punk has any funds..if he does do a small claims court action yourself ( if you are paying for the claim )
13 years, no claims. Deductible is $1000. My broker said that I will likely be losing my no claims discount which is 10% (equals to a $10 increase).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5721 posts
961 upvotes
IHavocI wrote: 13 years, no claims. Deductible is $1000. My broker said that I will likely be losing my no claims discount which is 10% (equals to a $10 increase).
if its $2000 plus for the window and increase is $10 ( per month I assume) go for it....BUT be wary if you have a second claim soon underwriters may look hard at the risk

Ole Gunnar IN!!!!