Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2015
158 posts
115 upvotes
Delta, BC

Store credit only offered for recalled item at Ikea

Tried to return some recalled lights at Ikea today and they only offered me store credit. I wanted cash back but a supervisor said they needed a receipt since they didn't know if it was purchased at Ikea, if I was the original purchaser or how I paid for the item. The recall is for lights sold since 2002 and all her excuses were irrelevant since it is an Ikea-only product and it didn't really matter if I originally bought it or not if it has been recalled. They were treating it if it was a return without a receipt.

The info on the recall notice states "LOCK and HYBY ceiling lamps can be returned to any IKEA store for a full refund. Proof of purchase (receipt) is not required for a full refund. "
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1255 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
write a email to ikea and explain the situation.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
436 upvotes
BC
What IKEA store was it? I dealt with one of the BC ones and the manager was rather rude. Luckily I only dealt with that one once - the rest were OK.
Go Raptors, Go!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5781 posts
5284 upvotes
neilc6 wrote: Tried to return some recalled lights at Ikea today and they only offered me store credit. I wanted cash back but a supervisor said they needed a receipt since they didn't know if it was purchased at Ikea, if I was the original purchaser or how I paid for the item. The recall is for lights sold since 2002 and all her excuses were irrelevant since it is an Ikea-only product and it didn't really matter if I originally bought it or not if it has been recalled. They were treating it if it was a return without a receipt.

The info on the recall notice states "LOCK and HYBY ceiling lamps can be returned to any IKEA store for a full refund. Proof of purchase (receipt) is not required for a full refund. "
So show them the recall notice?
[OP]
Jan 3, 2015
158 posts
115 upvotes
Delta, BC
This was at the Coquitlam Ikea. It surprised me that the staff handling returns didn't know the policy for recalled items and handled it like a return without receipt. I stated it was a recall and they indicated I needed a receipt for a refund. I did bring a copy of the recall notice but didn't reread it until I got home. I previously returned a recalled safe at Canadian Tire and got a cash refund on the full price even though it was currently on sale. I have sent an email to Ikea and am waiting for their response.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12432 posts
3632 upvotes
GTA
Post on Facebook/Twitter, companies hate that.
Nov 26, 2013
140 posts
13 upvotes
neilc6 wrote: This was at the Coquitlam Ikea. It surprised me that the staff handling returns didn't know the policy for recalled items and handled it like a return without receipt. I stated it was a recall and they indicated I needed a receipt for a refund. I did bring a copy of the recall notice but didn't reread it until I got home. I previously returned a recalled safe at Canadian Tire and got a cash refund on the full price even though it was currently on sale. I have sent an email to Ikea and am waiting for their response.
Was not surprised by the attitude of the Ikea Coquitlam staff. The staff at that Coquitlam store need to improve on customer service/courtesy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7726 posts
1607 upvotes
Don't see anything wrong if it is a full refund but in credit since it IS without a receipt.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4045 posts
1993 upvotes
I don't see anything in the recall notice about giving a full "cash" refund.
Did you pay in cash? I doubt it as not very many pay in cash.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
pootza wrote: I don't see anything in the recall notice about giving a full "cash" refund.
Did you pay in cash? I doubt it as not very many pay in cash.
What does it matter if it was paid for in cash or not? In the end, it's money regardless if the credit is given in cash or debit/credit card.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4045 posts
1993 upvotes
colossk wrote: What does it matter if it was paid for in cash or not? In the end, it's money regardless if the credit is given in cash or debit/credit card.
But THE FULL REFUND was given in credit ... store credit.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1199 posts
219 upvotes
Vancouver
If you dont have a receipt, usually stores give the refund in store credit.

They/you cant prove that it was originally paid in cash. Especially nowadays, the majority of consumer purchases are made on credit.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
So if it was bought used (kijiji etc) and recalled, the store should give cash refund on store value?
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
it's normal to give store credit on recalled items if there is no receipt.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13541 posts
2337 upvotes
City of Vancouver
A company sells a defective product that they shouldn't have sold in the first place if they had done their research, wastes a customer's time and money, and risks the health of the customer, but offers them mere store credit to force the customer to come back and buy more stuff...

Shame on you, Retailer/Company.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14864 posts
4370 upvotes
"Full refund" means not partial. It doesn't mention anything about the tender of the refund.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Nov 4, 2011
653 posts
414 upvotes
YYZ
As a hypothetical situation, what would happen if you originally paid with a gift card. Would the company be obligated to give cash back? I would call IKEA directly and see what they say.
[OP]
Jan 3, 2015
158 posts
115 upvotes
Delta, BC
As an update, Ikea customer service emailed me back and said they would give me a refund though I would need to return to the store with a reference number. Recalled items by law can't be given away or resold and are recalled because they pose a safety risk. Giving a cash refund to get the defective product back is probably a lot cheaper long-term for the company than having the product causing death or injuries and the resulting lawsuits.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4045 posts
1993 upvotes
Becks wrote: A company sells a defective product that they shouldn't have sold in the first place if they had done their research, wastes a customer's time and money, and risks the health of the customer, but offers them mere store credit to force the customer to come back and buy more stuff...

Shame on you, Retailer/Company.
Maybe you can direct your rant at the government agency that let this product into Canada to threaten our families. I thought they were here to protect us from terrorists and crappy products?