Shopping Discussion

Which store does the most price gouging?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2020 1:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1713 posts
209 upvotes
Mississauga

Which store does the most price gouging?

Since the epidemic started.

I will start by saying SDM.
45 replies
Sep 8, 2006
871 posts
537 upvotes
Edmonton
redpattison wrote: Since the epidemic started.

Why SDM? Just throwing name out there with no reasoning is meaningless. SDM's regular price is always high but with 20x points and other promotions, their prices are ok, with some stuff cheaper than other places.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1945 posts
1869 upvotes
redpattison wrote: Since the epidemic started.

SDM has always been a rip off in general.
Nothing to with pandemic
I have not seen real price gouging yet.
Small increases in prices due to disruption during pandemic is normal.
Mar 24, 2016
741 posts
885 upvotes
scarborough
AMAZON

Alot of there prices are just ridiculous.

No wonder he's the richest man on earth
Mar 24, 2016
741 posts
885 upvotes
scarborough
Costco.ca

The differences in prices of the same item when purchased in-store versus on-line. I can understand that part it covers delivery charges

BUT

However if dont spend over $75 the also charge $3 per item.

Example paper towels are $5 more expensive if purchased on line plus an extra $3 if you dont spend more that $75
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
Crappy Tire. When your "sale prices" are actually the MSRP and your real regular prices are marked up worse than alcohol at a bar, that's gouging.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4055 posts
2188 upvotes
Toronto
explorer11 wrote: Costco.ca

The differences in prices of the same item when purchased in-store versus on-line. I can understand that part it covers delivery charges

BUT

However if dont spend over $75 the also charge $3 per item.

Example paper towels are $5 more expensive if purchased on line plus an extra $3 if you dont spend more that $75
I'm not sure this really fits into "gauging".
I can't wrap my head around what you would expect to be reasonable.
Clearly, they do not want to deliver small amounts, as the cost exceeds the return.

I'm very annoyed by CT and Walmart charging a $5 fee for when you order a single item for pick-up.
I'd understand if the order was large - but 1 item?
Total cash grab.
Mar 24, 2016
741 posts
885 upvotes
scarborough
shikotee wrote: I'm not sure this really fits into "gauging".
I can't wrap my head around what you would expect to be reasonable.
Clearly, they do not want to deliver small amounts, as the cost exceeds the return.

I'm very annoyed by CT and Walmart charging a $5 fee for when you order a single item for pick-up.
I'd understand if the order was large - but 1 item?

what i am saying that there is a difference already in the price of in-store and on-line. PLUS you get charged an extra $3 per item
so if you get 4 items and its still under $75 thats an additional $12 o top of their overinflated prices for shopping in line
Total cash grab.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10711 posts
1865 upvotes
Toronto
explorer11 wrote: AMAZON

Alot of there prices are just ridiculous.

No wonder he's the richest man on earth
Usually it's 3rd party sellers.

As an example I needed 2 new soldering tips for my hakko soldering station, each one was $40CAD + shipping on amazon.

On hakkos site I think I paid $6-$8 USD for each one and shipping was cheap.
Nov 4, 2011
612 posts
365 upvotes
YYZ
IMO individual sellers on eBay and Amazon. They were the ones who raised prices beyond cost (but did it to match demand).

Costs are up for many items, my go-to example is Purell hand sanitizer. There's been a 30% cost increase at a major office supply store but I don't believe they or any of the grocery stores have passed the cost on. Heck, we've even seen better deals, Purell at Loblaws was $6 pre covid for236 mL, they brought in a 1L size for $10 during covid and maintained the 236mL size at $6.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8556 posts
3954 upvotes
Markham
Should we first understand price gauge vs price increases?

It doesn't seem everyone understands it
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2744 posts
1943 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Crappy Tire. When your "sale prices" are actually the MSRP and your real regular prices are marked up worse than alcohol at a bar, that's gouging.
You're new here, I can tell. :)

What's the expression? "If it's not in the flyer, don't buy at the Tire..."

*Tyre is correct of course, but we're talking the company name.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4487 posts
3998 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: You're new here, I can tell. :)

What's the expression? "If it's not in the flyer, don't buy at the Tire..."

*Tyre is correct of course, but we're talking the company name.
I've posted the same expression many times but I say if it's not on the FRONT PAGE of the flyer, because that's the only place the prices are closer to fair market value. Like that "regular $40" power strip "on sale $10" which would sell for $5 or less at Dollarama. That item pretty much summarizes Crappy Tyre's scummy business model.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4902 posts
915 upvotes
Any of those small businesses that were importing ppe and selling for 400x profit during pandemic under the guise of supporting local first responders. One place a supplier for dentistry items was charging 90/box of masks when others were gouging at 60.

No Im not talking about your avg kijiji seller these were legitimate med to small businesses that I personally will never support again.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."