Automotive

Are stores like Walmart selling Car Products as Essential or are those blocked off?

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 12:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6030 posts
688 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Are stores like Walmart selling Car Products as Essential or are those blocked off?

Haven't been to a Walmart in a few months but given the Ontario lockdown, would car care products, engine oils, filters, be considered essential and I can buy them if I go in store? Or do I have to order online for curbside pick-up?
--
I like detailing cars!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2004
1544 posts
295 upvotes
Ajax
Instore sections are blocked off. I just order online for curbside pickup.
Jul 24, 2008
165 posts
151 upvotes
Can't even buy wipers at costco anymore. Pretty stupid
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
I needed a battery for my car, but couldn't get the Kirkland one since Costco had 0 automotive products available, and it was too much of a hassle to go with any big box stores for car batteries, ended up going to a local automotive battery store and getting a better battery at a better price lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7234 posts
7892 upvotes
Toronto
SoroSuub1 wrote: I needed a battery for my car, but couldn't get the Kirkland one since Costco had 0 automotive products available, and it was too much of a hassle to go with any big box stores for car batteries, ended up going to a local automotive battery store and getting a better battery at a better price lol.
Which store and battery brand?

I need to replace a 7 year old battery this summer.

Tia
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Which store and battery brand?

I need to replace a 7 year old battery this summer.

Tia
Canadian Energy (cdnrg.com) at 160 Cochrane Dr, Markham, but also locations throughout Canada.

I got the EFB35 3x MixTech battery with 60 month warranty for $161 + HST (Group 35 battery), but they also had lower-priced batteries at $119 (G3572 with 42 month warranty) and $129 (EMX35 2x Mixtech with 60 month warranty) as well which have longer warranty and more CA and CCA than the normal "cheap" batteries you'd get from CT.

The Discover Battery is a company based in Richmond, BC with manufacturing in Korea... their MixTech battery product line was pretty unique and sounded promising. Their normal 'Canada Proof Battery' line is also white labelled at Princess Auto as the Pro.Point batteries.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6030 posts
688 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
SoroSuub1 wrote: I needed a battery for my car, but couldn't get the Kirkland one since Costco had 0 automotive products available, and it was too much of a hassle to go with any big box stores for car batteries, ended up going to a local automotive battery store and getting a better battery at a better price lol.
Which store? I find Costco's price to be the best I find usually and has good warranty for in store exchange
--
I like detailing cars!
May 12, 2014
918 posts
609 upvotes
Markham, ON
SoroSuub1 wrote: Canadian Energy (cdnrg.com) at 160 Cochrane Dr, Markham, but also locations throughout Canada.
+1 to this place, as this place is the manufacturer's outlet, the date sticker should be recent. I bought a battery here and the date sticker was for the month I picked the battery up.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
m4gician wrote: Which store? I find Costco's price to be the best I find usually and has good warranty for in store exchange
See my post above, and yeah Costco is my normal go-to for the warranty, but wasn't an option when I had to replace my battery a couple weeks ago due to the Ontario lockdown, and because Costco closed off non-essential goods to comply with the order.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12419 posts
2134 upvotes
GTA
We must obey our supreme leader. Just order at Canadian tire curbside pickup.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6482 posts
2723 upvotes
Ottawa
SoroSuub1 wrote: See my post above, and yeah Costco is my normal go-to for the warranty, but wasn't an option when I had to replace my battery a couple weeks ago due to the Ontario lockdown, and because Costco closed off non-essential goods to comply with the order.
You can probably order it online (I just got a battery from Costco.ca for my car).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9117 posts
7160 upvotes
Kitchener
qaz393 wrote: We must obey our supreme leader. Just order at Canadian tire curbside pickup.
Drug Fraud?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14118 posts
4732 upvotes
RFD
Rob_EV wrote: Drug Fraud?
Leave the Buck a Beer guy alone, let us drink our sorrows away.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
michelb wrote: You can probably order it online (I just got a battery from Costco.ca for my car).
I considered it, but I wanted a battery today, because I'd already boosted the existing one twice lol and I had already set aside the next weekday to change the sparkplugs (the sparkplugs are easier to change with the battery out in a boxer engine).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
Yeahhh it's not essential for you to be able to buy stuff to maintain or repair your own car but somehow it is essential for mechanics to do it for you, sell you the same parts for an upcharge, etc. :facepalm: This is the kind of horseshit brought to you by politicians who surely wouldn't know a thing about a car more than "taking it to the dealer" so yeah. And I mean let's not forget it's the kind of thing also brought to you by a guy that knows basically nothing about anything and was very likely the "Chris Farley-like class clown" when he was in school :rolleyes: (You kind of have to ask yourself who is more dumb though--this asshat or the people that were dumb enough to vote for him or even make him party leader to begin with?)

That bit aside, you can still get these things with store pickup for the most part but Walmart's online sucks donkey balls so good luck finding what you need there; maybe CT is a better bet or a parts store. Or just online parts places in general, they're better anyway and have better parts they're just a little less convenient or immediate...or at leas they were. Nowadays with perpetual "lockdowns" it's about even really.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
I'm sure the politicians just drive fleet cars managed by the City/Province/Federal, so does it matter lol.

But it's more than just the inconvenience of store pickup is that most of these systems are pretty crap from the big box stores, so it's really hard to get an item you need now. Costco is shipping only, Canadian Tire guarantees you for the next morning, and the Walmart website says 4-12 days (!?).

Only Princess Auto and Canadian Energy could get me a new car battery I needed for my car right now lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10902 posts
1560 upvotes
Guelph
SoroSuub1 wrote: Canadian Energy (cdnrg.com) at 160 Cochrane Dr, Markham, but also locations throughout Canada.

I got the EFB35 3x MixTech battery with 60 month warranty for $161 + HST (Group 35 battery), but they also had lower-priced batteries at $119 (G3572 with 42 month warranty) and $129 (EMX35 2x Mixtech with 60 month warranty) as well which have longer warranty and more CA and CCA than the normal "cheap" batteries you'd get from CT.

The Discover Battery is a company based in Richmond, BC with manufacturing in Korea... their MixTech battery product line was pretty unique and sounded promising. Their normal 'Canada Proof Battery' line is also white labelled at Princess Auto as the Pro.Point batteries.
Is the battery that you got AGM?
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 63-0-0 and counting.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: No, but they also sell AGM as well. MixTech is a different kind of tech to keep the lead-acid from settling, utilizing the car's movements and some electrolytes or something like that lol.
Yeah I dunno how well it works in reality but at least it's something. I mean liquid electrolyte would always be sloshed around inside a battery that's installed in a car but this is supposed to be a little different.

Does it work? Who knows, but I know what doesn't really improve longevity and that's AGM--totally not worth it IMO and I'd rather go for something like MixTech though really Costblo batteries are really all one needs as the warranty is decent and hassle free and you don't got to worry about paying insane money for them. They do have AGM as well but whatever, not going to spend 2x the amount for a year extra warranty on batteries that just don't live up to the hype IME.