Fashion & Beauty

Storied apparel brand Brooks Brothers files for bankruptcy as it seeks a buyer and closes dozens of stores

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 11:34 am
8 replies
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
Unbelievable. Such a renown brand is going down.

However, it was getting too expensive, and some of the stuff "on sale" was of some dubious quality.

Last summer I was in the USA, walked into Brooks Brothers to look at the suits, and I was shocked at the prices.

About 5 years ago, I got an amazing deal (in Chicago) for a suit. The 2019 prices for the suits are like double what they used to be. The quality is not the same. What the heck happened?
8303 upvotes
Markham
This work from home really impact some suit brand

Wondering how well tip top hold now
Apr 29, 2007
887 posts
604 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sorry to hear. My favourite jacket is a Brooks sack.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
Too bad but not really a surprise given the move to business casual wear over the last few years. Covid just sped up what was just a matter of time. Too bad, had some good things in the past.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3865 posts
1018 upvotes
I’m sure worst case scenario the brand and some of product lines get bought.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2029 posts
521 upvotes
Hamilton
maple1 wrote: Too bad but not really a surprise given the move to business casual wear over the last few years. Covid just sped up what was just a matter of time. Too bad, had some good things in the past.
This.

Between retail apocalypse and more places not requiring a suit they were going to be squeezed. My wife has a couple of pieces from them but I don't think they were an amazing deal when discounted. Full retail seemed high.

Also I found their staff service (Milton outlet mall) to be quite poor. I actually said something when we were finally checked out.

Downside is that we're running out of places to get clothes.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2294 posts
1635 upvotes
GTA
Never really liked their stuff. Found it overpriced and elitist. Sad to see JCrew go. I liked what they had.