Cell Phones

Storing a cell number with the least hassle to active it with cell carrier later

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2022 2:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3429 posts
5424 upvotes
GTA North

Storing a cell number with the least hassle to active it with cell carrier later

Ok I need to store an active cell number for possibly a year or two or more.

I would like to know what is the easiest and cheapest service to do this WITH the easiest way to port the number back out any cellphone carrier.

Currently with Bell Mobility. I did check some threads on RFD and people said they had a nightmare going from porting out from Number Barn or VOIP.ms . Someone said something Zoomer not allowing porting from VOIP numbers IIRC.

I would like to activate my stored number with the least issues possible in the future.

EDIT:

I need this done by Wednesday but hope this post can help others in the similar situation.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
9 replies
Dec 1, 2018
159 posts
253 upvotes
Freedom has $25per year plan I think
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3429 posts
5424 upvotes
GTA North
Sid7643 wrote: Freedom has $25per year plan I think
That deal is over according to a poster here as the thread was leaked to Freedom Mobile.

freedom-mobile-retention-prepaid-25-tal ... 585873/37/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38177 posts
24361 upvotes
Center of Universe
SpeakOut.
$25 gets you a full year.
Jun 21, 2008
956 posts
435 upvotes
mississauga
vkizzle wrote: SpeakOut.
$25 gets you a full year.
I did this with a number from fido tablet plan, and topped up with $25, but somehow I ended up with $45 in the account
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29317 posts
14825 upvotes
I ported a couple numbers from voip.ms without issue. Well a minor issue because voip ports aren't instant. Mine took 2-3 days.
The fine print at Speakout says they can take a day too so depending on how fast you need the number active, they may not be the best either.
But Speakout (and voip.ms) are the cheapest.

The plus side is that there's no silliness of the 90 minute "YES" SMS when porting out from voip.ms
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3429 posts
5424 upvotes
GTA North
death_hawk wrote: I ported a couple numbers from voip.ms without issue. Well a minor issue because voip ports aren't instant. Mine took 2-3 days.
The fine print at Speakout says they can take a day too so depending on how fast you need the number active, they may not be the best either.
But Speakout (and voip.ms) are the cheapest.

The plus side is that there's no silliness of the 90 minute "YES" SMS when porting out from voip.ms
What do you mean by the 90min yes sms?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29317 posts
14825 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: What do you mean by the 90min yes sms?
When you port a cell phone number, the losing carrier sends you a "Do you want to port this number? Reply YES to proceed" This text expires 90 minutes after they send it.
Not bad if the port happens immediately but I've ported to voip a few times and they process ports first thing in the morning. So a 7AM EST text shows up after 4AM PST on a random day and random time between tomorrow and 5 days from now.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3429 posts
5424 upvotes
GTA North
death_hawk wrote: When you port a cell phone number, the losing carrier sends you a "Do you want to port this number? Reply YES to proceed" This text expires 90 minutes after they send it.
Not bad if the port happens immediately but I've ported to voip a few times and they process ports first thing in the morning. So a 7AM EST text shows up after 4AM PST on a random day and random time between tomorrow and 5 days from now.
So if you don’t click YES then the number port does not happen right? I can see that being a problem if a telecom/voip company has technical problems or whatever and texts not showing up till how’s later.

Reminds me of what a friend mentioned years ago about Freedom Mobile and text messages showing up later. Add in if you are busy running errands and such you might not catch the text and I am guessing you have to call or contact the company again so they can resend you a confirm to number port message again?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29317 posts
14825 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: So if you don’t click YES then the number port does not happen right? I can see that being a problem if a telecom/voip company has technical problems or whatever and texts not showing up till how’s later.
Nope. I've had to pay for 3 ports (1st ones free as well as a retry, if you screw that up, you gotta pay for the 3rd one) because the text came at 5AM PST.
I ended up setting my SMS notification to the most annoying alarm I could find and I still missed one twice.
It's not a technical issue, the port works after you respond. It's just how porting works with landlines/voip because their port department doesn't seem to be manned all day.
Reminds me of what a friend mentioned years ago about Freedom Mobile and text messages showing up later. Add in if you are busy running errands and such you might not catch the text and I am guessing you have to call or contact the company again so they can resend you a confirm to number port message again?
Funny story.... it was freedom where I had the most issues. I'm pretty sure one text just failed to deliver because I was like WTF is taking so long until the gaining carrier was like do you still want to port? It said failed.