• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2020 8:01 am
Tags:
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA

Storing tire under deck in winter?

Is storing tire outside during winter in GTA area may cause any tire life issue?
I used to store in basement but this year thinking to store outside either under deck or in backyard shed.
Thx
9 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12887 posts
13083 upvotes
No, unless you are throwing them away next season anyway.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
I would continue to store in the basement if I were you. You are free to store outside but keeping them outside of the elements and away from UV is always best. Yes they are obviously exposed to this stuff when they are on the car, but at least you are using them then so you are putting the wear on them. Merely storing them outside may lead to the compound going bad before the tread wears out. Shed is okay though; however directly outside is not a great idea. You can avoid the UV issue by simply storing in opaque bags but if they are just left on the ground animals like mice, etc. may choose to make homes out of your tyres/wheels not to mention possibly chewing them up.

It's up to you but if you have the space for them in the basement, I'd just deal with the short hassle of lugging them down and up again, once per season.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Store them inside.
Under the deck will be damp, and will promote rusting in steel wheels and corroding in aluminum wheels.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Nov 1, 2015
625 posts
309 upvotes
BC
Rust is the main issue storing them outside
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
I store mine in a cheap metal shed (the only place I can) with their individual plastic bags for last 5 years and haven't had a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8423 posts
4666 upvotes
Durham
a3dview wrote: Is storing tire outside during winter in GTA area may cause any tire life issue?
I used to store in basement but this year thinking to store outside either under deck or in backyard shed.
Thx
???? OUTSIDE under a deck or in an uninsulated shed??? GOSH!

Make a space in the corner of your garage and have them raised off of the concrete floor.

IMG_20201021_130221.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Sep 1, 2010
160 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
jdmfishingonly wrote: ???? OUTSIDE under a deck or in an uninsulated shed??? GOSH!

Make a space in the corner of your garage and have them raised off of the concrete floor.

IMG_20201021_130221.jpg
Some suggest standing side by side, rather than laying over each other.....
Apr 28, 2013
344 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I keep winters outside all winter, and 'regular' all seasons out all winter. High end summer tires I keep inside. Never had a problem.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)