Real Estate

Stouffville Developments (Fieldgate, Opus, Deco, Mattamy, Sorbara, Starlane, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 10:11 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Apr 4, 2017
470 posts
360 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: While Toronto pricing is quite high,$1.2m can definitely get you a decent detached home, and probably larger lots! I think there's a thread on here that highlighted a few options. The huntingwood area is one example. Calling Stouffville 'close' to Toronto is a joke. There are plenty of farm fields in Markham that are closer to Toronto!

If that is what you wanted, draw a 50km driving route to Toronto and you'll find plenty more value. You're past Ajax to the East, into Burlington in the West. Stouffville is not only the most expensive for what you get, but is the worst direction to head in. Along the 401 gets you on either deeper in the Golden horseshoe, closer to Kingston/Montreal, hospitals, the airport or the Muskoka's.
I'll take Stouffville over Ajax, Whitby, Pickering, Mississauga any day. There is a reason that places like Stouffville, King City, Georgetown, Bolton keep high values. They are villages and towns as opposed to bland suburbs like Markham Pickering etc. The community in Stouffville is amazing, plus it's very diverse (as opposed to your Bramptons, Markhams, Richmond Hills where if you aren't of the dominant ethnic group, you are in trouble)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
It is nice, but would not put it anywhere near King City, which has some real preserved village areas. Have you seen Stouffville change? They've doubled housing stock from 2011 to 2016. Don't think such a significant change isn't going to result in something different from Markham or Brampton. Georgetown doesn't remotely claim to be a Toronto suburb. Not at all a valid comparison.

In any case, one poster mentioned moving a bit further to pocket $600k. Definitely makes sense, same if you have family in the area, but for people to move as a whole, paying $1.2m for Stouffville is definitely not in line with the values of people who frequent redflagDEALs.
realtycoon wrote: I'll take Stouffville over Ajax, Whitby, Pickering, Mississauga any day. There is a reason that places like Stouffville, King City, Georgetown, Bolton keep high values. They are villages and towns as opposed to bland suburbs like Markham Pickering etc. The community in Stouffville is amazing, plus it's very diverse (as opposed to your Bramptons, Markhams, Richmond Hills where if you aren't of the dominant ethnic group, you are in trouble)
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1094 posts
290 upvotes
I recently moved to Stouffville from Ajax, I also work downtown Toronto. I can say so far that the community I've moved into in Stouffville has a lot more diversity, and have found that people have generally been a lot more friendlier in the area compared to Ajax. Stouffville is missing a lot of the closeby amenities that Ajax did have (Costco, specific fast food chains, ethnic grocery varieties), however the drive to RHill or Markham from Stouffville isn't bad (~20 minutes).

In terms of commute, its give or take a similar drive time (+/- 5-10 Minutes depending on whats going on on the roads). That being said, I do dread going down 404 (especially southbound mornings between 16 & 7 stretch), I find there is a lot more sudden stopping for no apparent reason versus when I used to drive on the 401.

I think it really is to each their own, I came to the GTA from being raised in London, On., lived in NE Brampton, North York, Ajax, and Stouffville, and just feel more at home in Stouffville versus the other GTA places I've lived.
Chickennbeans wrote: It is nice, but would not put it anywhere near King City, which has some real preserved village areas. Have you seen Stouffville change? They've doubled housing stock from 2011 to 2016. Don't think such a significant change isn't going to result in something different from Markham or Brampton. Georgetown doesn't remotely claim to be a Toronto suburb. Not at all a valid comparison.

In any case, one poster mentioned moving a bit further to pocket $600k. Definitely makes sense, same if you have family in the area, but for people to move as a whole, paying $1.2m for Stouffville is definitely not in line with the values of people who frequent redflagDEALs.
Jan 29, 2007
263 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
I rarely take the 404 as i take the go train to downtown which i really convenient and +1 hour of sleep as i get the best spot on the train. If i hopped on the train at like unionville, no chance of getting a good spot.
Steven91 wrote: I recently moved to Stouffville from Ajax, I also work downtown Toronto. I can say so far that the community I've moved into in Stouffville has a lot more diversity, and have found that people have generally been a lot more friendlier in the area compared to Ajax. Stouffville is missing a lot of the closeby amenities that Ajax did have (Costco, specific fast food chains, ethnic grocery varieties), however the drive to RHill or Markham from Stouffville isn't bad (~20 minutes).

In terms of commute, its give or take a similar drive time (+/- 5-10 Minutes depending on whats going on on the roads). That being said, I do dread going down 404 (especially southbound mornings between 16 & 7 stretch), I find there is a lot more sudden stopping for no apparent reason versus when I used to drive on the 401.

I think it really is to each their own, I came to the GTA from being raised in London, On., lived in NE Brampton, North York, Ajax, and Stouffville, and just feel more at home in Stouffville versus the other GTA places I've lived.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8587 posts
1298 upvotes
Steven91 wrote: I recently moved to Stouffville from Ajax, I also work downtown Toronto. I can say so far that the community I've moved into in Stouffville has a lot more diversity, and have found that people have generally been a lot more friendlier in the area compared to Ajax. Stouffville is missing a lot of the closeby amenities that Ajax did have (Costco, specific fast food chains, ethnic grocery varieties), however the drive to RHill or Markham from Stouffville isn't bad (~20 minutes).

That's a very fair assessment. You still drive to DT Toronto for work from Stouffville? Wouldn't taking the Go train save on time and money?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1094 posts
290 upvotes
bobbings wrote: That's a very fair assessment. You still drive to DT Toronto for work from Stouffville? Wouldn't taking the Go train save on time and money?
Still drive just because I need to drive the S/O to work on the way to downtown. I have an arrangement for parking downtown which makes it a lot more affordable to park there.

Not going to lie... I miss being able to take a naps on the Go Train though, way better than driving 404.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8587 posts
1298 upvotes
Steven91 wrote: Still drive just because I need to drive the S/O to work on the way to downtown. I have an arrangement for parking downtown which makes it a lot more affordable to park there.

Not going to lie... I miss being able to take a naps on the Go Train though, way better than driving 404.
That's a pretty brutal drive, not gonna lie. Hopefully your work gives you flex time or at least you can work from home sometimes.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 6, 2020
5 posts
2 upvotes
Does anyone know when the first closing dates are for Trailways (Sorbara) or City Side developments are. City Side looks like it has closed on a few houses but Trailways looks a few months (if not more) out from that.
Nov 27, 2014
5 posts
Toronto
I bought at Cityside last year at the launch. 40' - 2900 sq feet for 1,059,000 - contemporary style. Now similar houses just 12 mins south are going for 1.6 million and smaller houses and smaller lots.

Btw did anyone get a Deco? how much did the Colorado go for. I like that model?
[OP]
Jan 30, 2008
654 posts
148 upvotes
Summer2020 wrote: Does anyone know when the first closing dates are for Trailways (Sorbara) or City Side developments are. City Side looks like it has closed on a few houses but Trailways looks a few months (if not more) out from that.
A neighbour bought in Trailways and has a Jan closing. Phase 1
Feb 7, 2009
172 posts
22 upvotes
Wow some of these prices are approaching Kleinburg pricing (resale detached). I was debating on stoufville, what do you think of this site compared to New Kleinburg?
[OP]
Jan 30, 2008
654 posts
148 upvotes
shocker wrote: Wow some of these prices are approaching Kleinburg pricing (resale detached). I was debating on stoufville, what do you think of this site compared to New Kleinburg?
A lot of people don't get Stouffville but a lot of people who live here move to a second home within the neighborhood because they love it so much. close to all the bigger towns around but don't have to deal with actually living there. So smaller town feel with access to bigger towns and relatively straightforward access to downtown (even if longer drive).
Just my opinion.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8587 posts
1298 upvotes
shocker wrote: Wow some of these prices are approaching Kleinburg pricing (resale detached). I was debating on stoufville, what do you think of this site compared to New Kleinburg?
The two locations are so far away unless you work dt Toronto, your work location may be more important in terms of where you buy. If you’re closer to the west end then maybe kleinburg but if you’re more East than maybe Stouffville. Also, if price is a factor, then Stouffville is probably cheaper. What about being closer to family and friends? Lots of variables. My family and friends are all in the north east end so it’s personally better i stay in Markham/Stouffville.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3622 posts
2885 upvotes
I'll choose Stouffville easily over Nashville (I don't consider the stuff they're selling really kleinburg)

Stouffville is very close to Markham, easy access to 404 and two Go stations and more amenities and stores. Nashville has nothing in terms of stores and not really convenient for transportation especially along major Mack east to the 400 The 427 extension will help but it's just a pure bedroom community that's not that convenient to get anywhere

All Nashville has going for it is close to Brampton if you have family there and Stouffville > Vaughan
May 31, 2017
103 posts
118 upvotes
I've lived in downtown Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Etobicoke and Stouffville over the past 20 years...Stouffville is my personal favorite of the bunch.
Without traffic I can drive downtown in about 35-40 minutes. Good community vibe with lots of events (Strawberry festival and Canada day weekend, Ribfest, food truck nights, etc), great parks throughout, nice community center, nice new rink, indoor soccer/turf center, etc. It's a great little town that has held onto a small town vibe even if it is 50K people.

The only real downside to Stouffville is that they still need some more amenities...I'm talking retail and perhaps a couple more restaurants - though it HAS improved in the past year it still needs more.
I mean seriously, how can you not get KFC (not even delivered) in a town of 50K people? Some of the owners holding the buildings in the core and the folks sitting on the land on Main st. between 48 and 9th have probably held up progress...even the Ford Dealer, the NAPA shop, the crap on the south side near Captain Georges Fish and Chips, all should be getting developed. Those are my only real gripes about the town - basically a bunch of greedy landlords that have held up progress...property values will jump further once they give the downtown an update and get some more retail/restaurant amenities...if those landlords aren't careful they'll lose their opportunity to companies that will set up on the North end of Markham instead.