Real Estate

Stouffville Developments (Fieldgate, Opus, Deco, Mattamy, Sorbara, Starlane, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 10:11 pm
Tags:
Penalty Box
Apr 1, 2010
278 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Stouffville is very close to Markham, easy access to 404 and two Go stations and more amenities and stores. Nashville has nothing in terms of stores and not really convenient for transportation especially along major Mack east to the 400 The 427 extension will help but it's just a pure bedroom community that's not that convenient to get anywhere
All Nashville has going for it is close to Brampton if you have family there and Stouffville > Vaughan
You're joking right? I'm not saying Stouffville sucks, I like it when I drive through. But cmon its a reaaaaal stretch to say it's better than Vaughan for the cited reason. Vaughan's basically the north central core of the GTA with easy access to everything and many more amenities. Stouffville is still 10 mins east and north from that hustle and bustle, not exactly easy access, and with only 2 main arteries to get in and out . But that's exactly why it's attractive to people who move/live there. To each their own, but to compare Stoufville with Vaughan is like apples to oranges.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3617 posts
2879 upvotes
delsouls wrote: You're joking right? I'm not saying Stouffville sucks, I like it when I drive through. But cmon its a reaaaaal stretch to say it's better than Vaughan for the cited reason. Vaughan's basically the north central core of the GTA with easy access to everything and many more amenities. Stouffville is still 10 mins east and north from that hustle and bustle, not exactly easy access, and with only 2 main arteries to get in and out . But that's exactly why it's attractive to people who move/live there. To each their own, but to compare Stoufville with Vaughan is like apples to oranges.
We're talking Nashville though and you'll hit very little traffic on Stouffville road to 404

And as a community to live in, Stouffville is way better than Vaughan from community services perspective and level of service and way less traffic congestion all around
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3077 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
I guess "easy access to 404" can be subjective for different people.

I looked at Stouffville twice (7 and 2 years ago), because of affordability and how new the houses were. I just couldn't convince myself to live there, due to it not being close to 404 or 407. It's about 15-25 minutes drive to either highways (not factoring in bad weather and accidents). And due to the lack of retail, restaurants and amenities I feel I would commute to Richmond/Markham quite frequently, which is a lot of wasted time. And when I was researching a while back, there's no HWY planned to this area, so the local roads for getting out/into town will only get more congested as it grows in population (people looking for value).

In the end I valued time more than the house value, so I considered somewhere else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8585 posts
1292 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: I guess "easy access to 404" can be subjective for different people.

I looked at Stouffville twice (7 and 2 years ago), because of affordability and how new the houses were. I just couldn't convince myself to live there, due to it not being close to 404 or 407. It's about 15-25 minutes drive to either highways (not factoring in bad weather and accidents). And due to the lack of retail, restaurants and amenities I feel I would commute to Richmond/Markham quite frequently, which is a lot of wasted time. And when I was researching a while back, there's no HWY planned to this area, so the local roads for getting out/into town will only get more congested as it grows in population (people looking for value).

In the end I valued time more than the house value, so I considered somewhere else.
I've always said this in the past if Stouffville was actually part of Markham, people would be flocking there. It does ultimately come down to what each individual or family wants in their house and the location. Those working in the DT Toronto core can easily move to Stouffville because the Go train takes you to your job. Those who need peace and quiet but close to Markham for retail and food will have no issues either to live in Stouffville but those who want a lifestyle similar to those living on the danforth will hate Stouffville because it won't offer the same amenities. To each their own but Stouffville is great in general for the size of the house you get and the price you pay compared to Markham/Toronto/Richmond Hill. For about a mil, you get a detached double garage house is (believe it or not) a really good deal LOL. Markham house prices are getting ridiculous. It's just not worth paying hundreds of thousand dollars more for a house. 2500 to 3000 sq ft house in Stouffville can be had for $1M to $1.2M vs same sized house in Markham for $1.5M to $2M. Of course there are pockets in Markham where prices are lower but they are lower for a reason.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3077 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
bobbings wrote: I've always said this in the past if Stouffville was actually part of Markham, people would be flocking there. It does ultimately come down to what each individual or family wants in their house and the location. Those working in the DT Toronto core can easily move to Stouffville because the Go train takes you to your job. Those who need peace and quiet but close to Markham for retail and food will have no issues either to live in Stouffville but those who want a lifestyle similar to those living on the danforth will hate Stouffville because it won't offer the same amenities. To each their own but Stouffville is great in general for the size of the house you get and the price you pay compared to Markham/Toronto/Richmond Hill. For about a mil, you get a detached double garage house is (believe it or not) a really good deal LOL. Markham house prices are getting ridiculous. It's just not worth paying hundreds of thousand dollars more for a house. 2500 to 3000 sq ft house in Stouffville can be had for $1M to $1.2M vs same sized house in Markham for $1.5M to $2M. Of course there are pockets in Markham where prices are lower but they are lower for a reason.
Again, if house value is what one is after, Stouffville is defiantly it. Houses are big, new, affordable, and relatively close to everything (subjective). Just not close enough for me.

I work downtown (mostly from home), so the GO would be useful. But I value the time I go out for errands and just everyday life (eat, dropping kids off for extracurricular , shopping, etc). Traveling 15-25 minutes one way to get into Markham, Richmond or the Highway is considered fast to some people. I just like it quicker.

That said I agree that if Stouffville was part of Markham, people would flock there. But it's not Markham. Markham generates a lot of revenue from the abundant of businesses, condos and houses within it, which it uses back on the community. Markham's property tax is 2nd lowest in Ontario for a reason.

And the high prices you're seeing for houses in Markham are usually centered around good ranking schools. That's a different discussion/argument, that I won't get into. That was never that important to me, because my friends and I grew up in a very bad neighborhood (gang filled) and we all turned out doing well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8585 posts
1292 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: Again, if house value is what one is after, Stouffville is defiantly it. Houses are big, new, affordable, and relatively close to everything (subjective). Just not close enough for me.

I work downtown (mostly from home), so the GO would be useful. But I value the time I go out for errands and just everyday life (eat, dropping kids off for extracurricular , shopping, etc). Traveling 15-25 minutes one way to get into Markham, Richmond or the Highway is considered fast to some people. I just like it quicker.

That said I agree that if Stouffville was part of Markham, people would flock there. But it's not Markham. Markham generates a lot of revenue from the abundant of businesses, condos and houses within it, which it uses back on the community. Markham's property tax is 2nd lowest in Ontario for a reason.

And the high prices you're seeing for houses in Markham are usually centered around good ranking schools. That's a different discussion/argument, that I won't get into. That was never that important to me, because my friends and I grew up in a very bad neighborhood (gang filled) and we all turned out doing well.
Agreed with all your points.

House value is probably one of the most important criteria in the decision to purchase unless people are sitting on boatloads of cash. I wouldn't buy in Toronto anymore because the prices are crazy for a small house and who wants to pay double land transfer taxes?

I 100% agree with the lack of amenities compared to a Markham or Richmond Hill and I hope that changes as the town expands. Let's hope a decent sized mall opens up and more restaurants open up as well.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Penalty Box
Apr 1, 2010
278 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: And as a community to live in, Stouffville is way better than Vaughan from community services perspective and level of service and way less traffic congestion all around
Come on now ... ok what community services are you talking about?
  • Vaughan - multiple hospitals, TTC subway (Yonge expansion coming), multiple Go lines, 407/400/427, York U, Humber, Wonderland, Vaughan Mills, Costcos, etc.
  • Stouffville - Giant Tiger

Obviously it's gonna be more congested, but plenty of ways to get around it, and less than you think, except rush hour on the north/south arteries pre-covid. But that's what Waze is for.

Not knocking the place, but again, it's apples to oranges.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8585 posts
1292 upvotes
delsouls wrote: Come on now ... ok what community services are you talking about?
  • Vaughan - multiple hospitals, TTC subway (Yonge expansion coming), multiple Go lines, 407/400/427, York U, Humber, Wonderland, Vaughan Mills, Costcos, etc.
  • Stouffville - Giant Tiger

Obviously it's gonna be more congested, but plenty of ways to get around it, and less than you think, except rush hour on the north/south arteries pre-covid. But that's what Waze is for.

Not knocking the place, but again, it's apples to oranges.
Ya, I'm not sure what Statsguy is looking at but comparing a town to a city is not a fair comparison. Vaughan is huge while Stouffville is a baby in comparison.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
May 31, 2017
101 posts
118 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: I guess "easy access to 404" can be subjective for different people.

I do these drives every day. It takes me exactly 8 minutes to get to the 407...and 15-17 minutes to the 404 (and I drive across the town for the 404 too so it adds a couple minutes). Same times morning or evening for the past 15 years. It’s not 15-25 minutes to each highway and it hasn’t gotten worse over the population growth. It is 25-35 minutes to Hwy 7 and 404 in the morning rush hour...bad weather could add 10-15 minutes. It is 35-40 minutes to downtown (ACC area) in no traffic and 75 minutes in typical traffic but most commute on the GO if they work down there. The north end of Markham has some added amenities roughly 6-8 minutes south of town. Markville Mall is 20 minutes away. Yes, the town needs more retail but almost everything you need is relatively close.

And Markham is not hundreds of thousands more for a home...sure, like any town there are pockets of higher prices but compare apples to apples and they’re quite close the past few years. Markham used to be 20% more and now it’s 5-8%.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3077 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
BatCountry wrote: I do these drives every day. It takes me exactly 8 minutes to get to the 407 [...]
How many km above the speed limit does it take to achieve that time? 3-5km?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4502 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
Stouffville is nice. lots of restaurants now. pretty much every fast food chain you can think of is there now.
Full-time Realtor
Jan 29, 2007
262 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
BatCountry wrote: I do these drives every day. It takes me exactly 8 minutes to get to the 407...and 15-17 minutes to the 404 (and I drive across the town for the 404 too so it adds a couple minutes). Same times morning or evening for the past 15 years. It’s not 15-25 minutes to each highway and it hasn’t gotten worse over the population growth. It is 25-35 minutes to Hwy 7 and 404 in the morning rush hour...bad weather could add 10-15 minutes. It is 35-40 minutes to downtown (ACC area) in no traffic and 75 minutes in typical traffic but most commute on the GO if they work down there. The north end of Markham has some added amenities roughly 6-8 minutes south of town. Markville Mall is 20 minutes away. Yes, the town needs more retail but almost everything you need is relatively close.

And Markham is not hundreds of thousands more for a home...sure, like any town there are pockets of higher prices but compare apples to apples and they’re quite close the past few years. Markham used to be 20% more and now it’s 5-8%.
lol ya careful, there's been cops camping ninth line and 19th ave / elgin mills lately. sneaky sneaky..
Dec 18, 2006
420 posts
424 upvotes
Lived in Stouffville for about 5 years and so far so good. Used to commute to Scarborough for work and only took about 25-30 mins to get to 401/markham rd during rush hour. There are side roads I take with probably less than 5 traffic lights between stouffville and Work. It depends on which side of stouffville you live in. West side (close to markham rd) you definitely can hit 404 in about 10 mins at speed limit. I live on the east end of stouffville and 407 is around 10 mins. If you go with flow of traffic then you can get there even quicker lol
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1050 posts
492 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: Markham generates a lot of revenue from the abundant of businesses, condos and houses within it, which it uses back on the community. Markham's property tax is 2nd lowest in Ontario for a reason.
Abundance of business? Not really. Generating plenty of development charges revenue from all the farmland being developed into residential.

Low taxes for now because everything is relatively new. Their reserves are incredibly low and will need to be topped up significantly (currently it looks like they're actually falling further behind). Good thing they have lots of property tax revenue coming in from all the additional properties being built and plenty of room to increase property taxes.
May 31, 2017
101 posts
118 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: How many km above the speed limit does it take to achieve that time? 3-5km?
Typically I'm about 10km over the limit going to the 407 and about 15km over to the 404...neither is excessive for the speeds on the roads being travelled there.