• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 4:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto

Strange brake noises

My family bought a new automatic car (2 months old now) that I sometimes drive and I noticed more recently this noise when I switch between reverse and drive and vise versa. Even when I reverse after parking.
Car has an auto electronic parking brake so it activates as I put the car in park or take it out of park. Happens whether in a parking lot or on my driveway that is slightly steep.

Here's are the timestamps of the noise: 0:09, 0:19, 0:29, 0:38 (this is me having my foot on the brake and switching between drive and reverse).

Just wondering what kind of issue this could be and how it could have happened to prevent it from happening again (if its something I did) because that doesn't sound normal... It can't be anything wear and tear related. Any help much appreciated. Its obviously under warranty but not sure if it would be covered for whatever this is.
Last edited by Electrah on Sep 25th, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Make and model?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Electrah wrote: My family bought a new automatic car (2 months old now) that I sometimes drive and I noticed more recently this noise when I switch between reverse and drive and vise versa. Even when I reverse after parking.
Car has an auto electronic parking brake so it activates as I put the car in park or take it out of park. Happens whether in a parking lot or on my driveway that is slightly steep.

Here's are the timestamps of the noise: 0:09, 0:19, 0:29, 0:38 (this is me having my foot on the brake and switching between drive and reverse).

Just wondering what kind of issue this could be and how it could have happened to prevent it from happening again (if its something I did) because that doesn't sound normal... It can't be anything wear and tear related. Any help much appreciated. Its obviously under warranty but not sure if it would be covered for whatever this is.
That does sound like the brake actuating. sounds normal . If its new have the dealer check it out if its normal.
----
Pay it forward.
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
365 upvotes
In my owner's manual it says sometimes the car will check the ABS module on occasion when starting off, and it is not something to be concerned with. When my car does this it sounds just like the noise recorded around the 38 second mark.

What make/model vehicle are you driving OP?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I know on my Camry when I move from forward to reverse there is click noise from the slider pins. This is normal and a way I can see if my brakes are cleaned/serviced and nothing binding. Yours sounds more like an actuator.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: Make and model?
nffclsr wrote: In my owner's manual it says sometimes the car will check the ABS module on occasion when starting off, and it is not something to be concerned with. When my car does this it sounds just like the noise recorded around the 38 second mark.

What make/model vehicle are you driving OP?
2020 Corolla. If I don't leave my foot on the brake and just let it quickly reverse or drive, it won't make any noise.. only when I am holding the brakes and switching between the two. I honestly can't remember if it's always been like this or not cause my music or AC might have hidden the noise.

I could take it to the dealer and ask, just would be nice to know what it could be and I am not sure if its worth whatever they would charge me to inspect it
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Electrah wrote: 2020 Corolla. If I don't leave my foot on the brake and just let it quickly reverse or drive, it won't make any noise.. only when I am holding the brakes and switching between the two. I honestly can't remember if it's always been like this or not cause my music or AC might have hidden the noise.

I could take it to the dealer and ask, just would be nice to know what it could be and I am not sure if its worth whatever they would charge me to inspect it
Doesn't sound "normal" to me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
Press down on brake harder, does it still make this noise?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
vaportech wrote: Press down on brake harder, does it still make this noise?
Its better, but then when I eventually gradually lift my foot off the brake it makes the noise again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
Electrah wrote: Its better, but then when I eventually gradually lift my foot off the brake it makes the noise again.
You have a sticky brake pad. I would say if you did a brake service it would go away.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Take it to the dealer...........................................
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
FYI if anyone ever has this issue- I took it to the dealer and was told that there aren't any concerns, and may be because its still new. Said to rack up more km and come back if its still there. Only at 3000km and under warranty so we'll have to see.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)