• Jul 5th, 2021 1:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON

A strange and suspicious SMS from Fido

Today I received a strange SMS from what seems to be really Fido or someone with connection to Fido. It addresses me by my name and mentions my nearby Fido store. It reads: "Hi 'my name', it's 'some not very typical name' from Fido 'my local store name'. I'm reaching out on behalf of Fido. I wanted to let you know that as an essential service we are open..." Then it suggests that I should get a deal on Fido home internet. It ends: "For my store details or to opt out:" and it gives a link to some website with domain name casl.link appended with some random characters after a slash. Funny that CASL is Canada's anti-spam legislation. I didn't click on that link on the phone but on my desktop the link won't open. The webpage title shows "Dealer Information" and the webpage shows "Loading... If this message persists, please refresh the page." And that's it. This domain is registered at gandi.net https://whois.gandi.net/en/results?search=casl.link Everything is "REDACTED FOR PRIVACY" except "Registrant State/Province: Ontario" and "Registrant Organization: Statflo". Apparently Statflo | The Leading 1:1 Business Text Messaging Platform https://www.statflo.com/

The SMS came from a normal local number, not 4-5 digit short number. This number's CLEC is Iristel Inc. which is a VOIP provider. I assume the number could be spoofed. It's not a Fido number.

I ignore spam messages but this one addressed me by my name and mentioned my nearby Fido store that I visited maybe 5 or more years ago last time. My concern was why some local teenager from the store is looking at my records. I called Fido and they said it spam or phishing, they don't send such messages. I googled the name of the supposed employee together with my local store name and found a single post on Fido forums that stated "I currently live in 'my city' and I went to Fido Store at 'my nearby' Mall and ported my number. I always ask about the setup fee and the Gentleman named 'the same name as in SMS' told me..." Bingo! And the name of the employee is quite unique. I never heard such a name before, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

It looks like this employee is real and he works at my Fido store. Fido denied that their employees could send such messages. They took my information and will look into this (I doubt it will result in anything). To me it looks like some employee decided to send spam messages to Fido customers without authorization from Fido.

Did anyone receive something similar lately? Any thoughts about it?

P.S. Another thought. Fido may be essential but as I remember they were inside the mall without outside entrance. I don't know how malls work these days. They are not open until Friday or so. Is it possible they were open inside the mall all that time as the SMS claimed?
37 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14520 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: P.S. Another thought. Fido may be essential but as I remember they were inside the mall without outside entrance. I don't know how malls work these days. They are not open until Friday or so. Is it possible they were open inside the mall all that time as the SMS claimed?
Malls are open for essential services
"telecommunications providers or service, for cellphone sales, repairs or technical support only"

You would need an appointment with the Fido booth to enter the Mall, afaik

Shopping malls are only open:
  • for access to a business or place permitted to be open, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, health care services (such as a dentist’s office) and government and court services
  • for picking up purchases from a designated pickup area, by appointment only with limited exceptions
  • between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. for access to stores or services
  • between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. for delivery

From https://covid-19.ontario.ca/zones-and-r ... and-closed
Destiny is all
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
Dhanushan wrote: Malls are open for essential services
So, then all the information in the SMS checks out but Fido denies it. Rogue employee?..
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14520 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: So, then all the information in the SMS checks out but Fido denies it. Rogue employee?..
Probably, desperate for a signup commission :lol:
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3368 posts
1407 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a FYI that if this were phishing or something similar, typing the full URL into your desktop isn't a good idea either, since either it can load a page with malicious content, or just confirmed the recipient visited the link.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI that if this were phishing or something similar, typing the full URL into your desktop isn't a good idea either, since either it can load a page with malicious content, or just confirmed the recipient visited the link.
I am aware of that. I tried the domain name.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13975 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Probably, desperate for a signup commission :lol:
That was my first thought.
Sending automated SMS isn't that expensive. If they get literally one bite it'll pay for the SMS.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
death_hawk wrote: That was my first thought.
Sending automated SMS isn't that expensive. If they get literally one bite it'll pay for the SMS.
I am not sure if it's exactly automated. 1) It was sent to local people. 2) It had names and phone numbers of people. Maybe it's easy to write a script to do this but they would need access to the full Fido database to find local people. Does anyone know how much access to Fido records a regular Fido store employee has and how easy it is to sort customers by location? My first thought was it was Fido doing this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28410 posts
13975 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Maybe it's easy to write a script to do this but they would need access to the full Fido database to find local people. Does anyone know how much access to Fido records a regular Fido store employee has and how easy it is to sort customers by location? My first thought was it was Fido doing this.
It's easily scripted depending on how much access an employee has.
Hell they may not even need access. Just write down the name and phone number of every client they interact with then add it to their own script.

I don't think it was Fido themselves doing it. This sounds like a rogue employee.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Mar 15, 2006
38 posts
4 upvotes
Got a similar sms from Rogers. The SMS claims he works at a specific Rogers Store, which is in the vicinity of my residence but I definitely did not purchase anything from there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
death_hawk wrote: Hell they may not even need access. Just write down the name and phone number of every client they interact with then add it to their own script.
I was there over 5 years ago or maybe even 7. I don't even remember. I doubt anybody wrote done my name to use it 7 years later. It's definitely someone who has access to customer records.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
Bruticus wrote: Got a similar sms from Rogers. The SMS claims he works at a specific Rogers Store, which is in the vicinity of my residence but I definitely did not purchase anything from there.
That's a trend. Maybe it is Rogers/Fido who is doing it. They could just use names of store managers as store contacts.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4678 posts
4381 upvotes
Toronto
Most branded kiosks/stores aren't corporately owned. They're small companies that sort of license/franchise the brand. It might not be a rogue employee, but a directive from the small company itself, but not from Rogers/Fido.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6380 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
yeah it could be an independant rogers/fido store, they have their own policies and maybe this is allowed?
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25136 posts
21570 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alpovs wrote: Did anyone receive something similar lately? Any thoughts about it?
I did. However in my case there was an embedded bit.ly link. That's a flaming red flag that the text was fraudulent.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
bylo wrote: I did. However in my case there was an embedded bit.ly link. That's a flaming red flag that the text was fraudulent.
Were you greeted by your name and suggested to go to your nearest local store? The link looks fraudulent but the first two things plus your numbers were correct. Someone knows not only your name but where you live and your phone number. It made me wonder if it's not fraudulent.

Did anyone else get similar SMS?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25136 posts
21570 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alpovs wrote: Were you greeted by your name and suggested to go to your nearest local store?
Frankly I don't remember. The moment I saw that bit.ly link, in the trash it went. It was also interesting that this went to my Fido number even though my data-only plan doesn't support voice or text.

I agree that if they have your name and number then it's likely either an inside job by a rogue salesperson or their database has been hacked.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5468 posts
3484 upvotes
SW ON
bylo wrote: It was also interesting that this went to my Fido number even though my data-only plan doesn't support voice or text.
Do you mean you received it on your data-only number? I think they enabled SMS on those recently. I think I read about it but not 100% sure.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25136 posts
21570 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alpovs wrote: I think they enabled SMS on those recently.
Apparently enabled only for texts that come directly from Fido. That suggests it was legitimate. But then why the bit.ly link that screams scam?

The original 3GB/$10 data plan did/does support free incoming texts plus a la carte (and expensive) outbound and per minute voice.
The newer 4GB/$10 data plan supports none of this except for the aforementioned Fido-generated inbound texts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12046 posts
14520 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Apparently enabled only for texts that come directly from Fido. That suggests it was legitimate. But then why the bit.ly link that screams scam?
Other companies use bitly URL shortener in their text messages

I got them in Telus/Koodo, Cineplex SCENE, SHOWCASE text messages

Campaign Management & Analytics
https://bitly.com/pages/features/campai ... -analytics
Destiny is all

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)