Travel

strategies for travel timing after covid?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 5:11 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2007
331 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto

strategies for travel timing after covid?

i'm sure i'm not the only one, but i'm dying to get some variety from my home office and travel, and hoping to plan a trip as soon as possible. i'm thinking of booking a trip to mexico (cdmx & oaxaca) in october with my partner (current aeroplan promo has 20k pts & buddy pass which seems quite good).

what are people doing in terms of planning trips with respect to timing & refund assurance if things flare up again? airline tickets seem to be fairly flexible with "no change fees" with a free change to tickets and airbnb/hotels are fairly easily refundable.

any strategies that folks are using/considering to plan upcoming travel?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4060 posts
2544 upvotes
Ottawa
Yeah October is weird. Canada should be fully back to normal. Will we be is another question. We will have increasing cases and hospitalization from our 20% not vaccinated. Mexico is likely to have a 5th wave by then as they don't look likely unless Americans help big time to be able to vaccinate a substantial population by then. So will you as a vaccinated traveler have to quarantine on return to protect the chance you bring it back and start a wave among your unvaccinated neighbours. I would argue no but if our hospitals are full that has other impacts. So yeah cancellation is essential. No change is probably ok for somewhere like Mexico. You could go spring 2023 if things get dicey. I'd book hotels or nothing at this point. Lokcing yourself into an Airbnb seems like a hassle. On the other hand expect a surge of travel this summer as people are mostly like you itching to get out of town. I think most will be cautious about unvaccinated places which doesn't really make sense as living normally you will be exposed anyway over the next year or two so you need to trust your vaccine regardless.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
I have a trip for July 1. Each day is like ….. to Morocco

I have another one August 1. Each day is like … to Senegal

October 14 next trip…. Complete faith I’m going to Ghana

All my trips are refundable so not to worried
[OP]
Nov 15, 2007
331 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Energie11 wrote: I have a trip for July 1. Each day is like ….. to Morocco

I have another one August 1. Each day is like … to Senegal

October 14 next trip…. Complete faith I’m going to Ghana

All my trips are refundable so not to worried
sounds amazing... i'm jealous.

did you pay the premium for a fully refundable ticket, or did you go "no change fees" instead?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9121 posts
3012 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a trip booked for Hawaii in December. I can change my flight if need to. But I believe US is getting back to normal. I want to plan a trip in new year to Japan; keeping an eye on their travel conditions and will book as soon as they reopen to tourists
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9968 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I have one for end of November but it's also refundable. Also my destination is Iceland and pretty much all of what I want to see there is outdoor stuff.

Realistically, it'll probably be case-by-case for each destination. I assume either in fall or winter Canada will relax its quarantine rule for the fully vaccinated so it's more a question of where you're going and what the situation is like over there.
Last edited by uber_shnitz on May 27th, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1556 posts
800 upvotes
I will likely travel for work to US starting in Sept, at least two weeks after my Aug second vaccine dose. I suspect by then there will not be a need to quarantine on return if fully vaccinated by then.
No International personal trips this year because even if we (Canada) are vaccinated, there is too much risk traveling to countries that are not at the same level. Ticket refunds and changes are an annoyance but more of a concern is lockdowns, testing, quarantines in other countries. Might drive to the US with family on a personal trip in Q4.
Cancun area for example is one level away from lockdown right now and will likely see another wave later in the year, unless the US ships a lot of their excess vaccines to Mexico.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
344 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
uber_shnitz wrote: it's more a question of where you're going and what the situation is like over there.
This is only what matters IMO.

I've got hundreds of thousands of miles to I'll just book on those and change as needed. I'm certainly not going to spend a dime in the US after they screwed us and now with all the trade rhetoric. You would think trump is back. I'd rather flush my tourist dollars in the toilet than give them to Murika.

Maybe some EU countries. Some have a great roll outs and the EU has not screwed Canada during the pandemic.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
673 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I can't even imagine travelling anywhere by plane now or in the future. You might as well ask when am I going to the moon.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23567 posts
22526 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
For 2021, we are planning to stay in Canada
IF & WHEN the Provinces / Federal Govt announces that it’s ok to travel between Provinces / Regions
Hoping that might be September
(Federal Guidelines are saying most likely as we near / get to Herd Immunity with Shots # 2 ... minimum 50% vaccinated )

But like everything else Covid
It’s an ever evolving situation
And needs to be watched / monitored

So as of today ... we’ve not bought any plane tickets / made any reservations
IF we did ... they would have to be changeable or refundable (like Air Canada )

2022 ... would love to start serious travelling again

Winter Vacation:
Not gonna go on a cruise
And prob not gonna go to Florida / USA either
Cuz I still believe that once their borders reopen ... they’ll prob see the variants they’ve missed out on (or new ones)
And without herd immunity there ... less than 70% vaccinated as per recent projections
They’ll be ripe for breakouts of said new variants
Don’t honestly know WHEN we’ll go back to America

So our winter vacation ... will prob be to another warm country that gets their vaccination roll out on target
Something else we are therefore monitoring
If we do go away ... it will prob be a last minute decision

2022 in general ...
More vacations in Canada
I got family we haven’t seen since 2019
Both down east & out west

Any travel abroad will go to whoever is doing the best when the time comes
Right now if I was predict
My guesstimate is ... we’ll end up in the UK, or a Commonwealth Country
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26977 posts
11426 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Since developed countries have the highest vaccination rates we are likely to reopen soonest, but countries with low vaccination rates are not going to be safe to travel to. So you should only consider travelling to countries that have covid under control. That is not going to be Mexico.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10463 posts
644 upvotes
New-Brunswick
What do we think prices will look like on flights over the coming year? I'm debating booking Europe flights now even though we're only travelling in 11 months because I'm concerned prices may go up in price significantly as everyone rushes to vacation when the world re-opens. Some countries will probably take a lot longer to reopen so I imagine Europe will be a very popular destination and prices could reflect that.

The downside to this though is the flights will no doubt change before then as they bring back their 'normal' schedules, especially when you fly out of the small regional centers like we would.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1556 posts
800 upvotes
Feneant wrote: What do we think prices will look like on flights over the coming year? I'm debating booking Europe flights now even though we're only travelling in 11 months because I'm concerned prices may go up in price significantly as everyone rushes to vacation when the world re-opens. Some countries will probably take a lot longer to reopen so I imagine Europe will be a very popular destination and prices could reflect that.

The downside to this though is the flights will no doubt change before then as they bring back their 'normal' schedules, especially when you fly out of the small regional centers like we would.
Prices will go up once everything opens. Just look at the US where flights to some destinations are double what they used to be even pre pandemic. You are better off booking and then changing if reqd.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9968 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
At the end of the day nobody can really predict the future. I made a similar thread to discuss pricing asking if people would wait or buy any "pre-season" deals and there wasn't much of a consensus given the generally unstable climate. At the end of the day you do what you think is most appropriate for yourself and your family/community.

Some countries in EU and Asia are accepting fully vaccinated travelers even though they themselves aren't vaccinated so it's a bit of a tossup if you want to take that offer or not.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2452 posts
1963 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Booked with Aeroplan this past March for travel to FL during March Break 2022. Figured demand will be higher than normal and we’re limited to a specific flight each way. Points were roughly the same as our 2019 trip and held off until the larger plane was assigned before phoning back to select preferred seats…which the agent completed at no charge ($400 savings). All in all I’m confident we’ll travel as planned.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
13752 posts
4120 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Canadians appear to be very timid both about domestic travel and about borders.

Canadians Anxious About Travel; Support Closed Borders and Vaccine Passports

Regarding any kind of vacation...
An April study by Ipsos found that 82% of Canadians perceive either a large or moderate risk by taking a vacation. Fifty four per cent said a holiday would present a large risk, while 28% said it’s a moderate risk. That’s the second highest rate for any country in the world.
Regarding borders, either internal or international...
The study also found that Canadians support border closures more than residents of any other country. A full 86% of Canadians said they strongly or somewhat support closing the border to anyone from another country, while 76% said they support the idea of closing the border to anyone from another province, state or region.
According to this site, Canadians are the sixth most internationally travelling citizens in the word (behind Hong Kong, Norway, Finland, and Denmark) with an average of one outbound trip per year.

Countries That Travel The Most

(As an aside, Americans have an average of 0,2 outbound trips annually!)

I expect that when Canadian covid vaccination rates increase, and hopefully both covid cases and deaths drop, we will see a sudden shift in opinions and Canadians will be rushing to make international travel plans for this winter.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored