None
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 15, 2014
2461 posts
1246 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Street parking in Toronto?

I'm confused about street parking, particularly in downtown Toronto.
Is it allowed if there aren't no parking signs?
Do you have to pay?

If a sign says "No parking except by permit 12:00am-7:00am".. does that mean you can park there during other times if you don't have a permit?
And if a sign says "Pay parking enforced Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 8am-6pm".. does this mean you can park for free there during other times?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45474 posts
8472 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
TheImp wrote: I'm confused about street parking, particularly in downtown Toronto.
Do you have to pay?

If a sign says "No parking except by permit 12:00am-7:00am".. does that mean you can park there during other times if you don't have a permit?
And if a sign says "Pay parking enforced Mon-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 8am-6pm".. does this mean you can park for free there during other times?
YEah. You nailed it with those.
Tricky part is... Watch out for signs prohibiting parking/stopping during rush hour times.
Some borough's have their own by law... E.G. North York, Etobicoke is no parking from 2am-6am or something I forgo... But double check on the websit
Also... You can't park in the same spot for more than 3 hours, unless you have a permi.
Jan 8, 2012
67 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Also... You can't park in the same spot for more than 3 hours, unless you have a permi.
The three hour limit is only enforceable by complaint. So if you are parking on a residential street all day it is possible that you are in someones favourite spot and may get a ticket. But otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. There is a cemetery near me and when I have guest staying overnight or I have a rental car I park there with no issues.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45474 posts
8472 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Bobster66 wrote: The three hour limit is only enforceable by complaint. So if you are parking on a residential street all day it is possible that you are in someones favourite spot and may get a ticket. But otherwise it shouldn't be a problem. There is a cemetery near me and when I have guest staying overnight or I have a rental car I park there with no issues.
Yep! Its by complaint in the area's no one cares about. If youre near some sort of attraction, hospital, or near downtown... You can get dinged for it randomly by enforcement when they chalk your tires.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8292 posts
2026 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote: I'm confused about street parking, particularly in downtown Toronto.
Do you have to pay?

There is a three hour general parking limit everywhere in the City. While this is not always enforced, it can be if local residents complain or if the car isn't moved. From the City website:

"Within the City of Toronto, an unsigned maximum three-hour parking limit exists on public roads unless there is signage posted indicating otherwise (eg, maximum 1 hour parking, maximum 15 minute parking, etc.)

Signs advising visitors to the city of this general, unsigned regulation are posted at the access points to the city and when exiting from a Provincial highway.

To request enforcement of the three-hour limit, call the Toronto Police Service, Parking Enforcement Unit at 416-808-6600."

Other than that, there are plenty of unrestricted parking areas in the city but it varies widely.

Regarding your two questions, the answers are yes and yes, other than the three-hour limit.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8756 posts
1659 upvotes
Vancouver
You visiting a friend? If they live in that area and have underserved guest parkin (aka everyone) city of toronto has 24hr and 72 hr permits that are a pretty good deal. Otherwise you have to be careful and read the signs and sometimes the most valuable info is what the signs don't say (aka when it's free)

3 hr rule applies, how it's enforced varies. Just be very careful with rush hour routes, no standing and other critical signs. Fyi I see cars get towed from my building rush hour zone out front and the tows follow parking enforcement, takes just over 4 minutes to lift your car. Consequence is $200-$450 with city tickets and tows. All legal, all rates set in stone on city contract. not really any shadyness just fixed fees.

Post where you're looking to park and perhaps someone can chime in with a cheap place to park. Green p lots have awesome rates

Oh another thing is, no mercy for holidays. Canada day is friday, it's a holiday, it's not sunday rates, it's not "oh well it's canada day rules" it's friday and enforced as such, which, includes rush hour zones
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
736 upvotes
When we lived at our old house (Leaside) we had to park on the street as we had a mutual drive and the old shared garage had been removed as it could no longer be insured. We would all get 2 or 3 tickets each year. Not a huge deal.

As for rush hour areas...be careful. When we first moved into Toronto ('98) we were parked on Bloor while shopping for futons. Didn't realize that they towed at 4:00 PM. We came out of the store at 4:05 and our car was already gone! Sure was a "welcome to Toronto" day.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3483 posts
972 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Have a question , what does this sign specifically mean? No parking 24hr except by permit

Does it mean without a permit, you can't park here 24hrs..? But I can still park there for the 3 hours?
Images
  • IMG_20170820_151507.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5562 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: Have a question , what does this sign specifically mean? No parking 24hr except by permit

Does it mean without a permit, you can't park here 24hrs..? But I can still park there for the 3 hours?
No it means you cannot park here unless you have a permit
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3483 posts
972 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
killoverme wrote: No it means you cannot park here unless you have a permit
Thanks for the update. I was gonna leave my car there on the street and walk over to CNE I until I saw multiple cars being ticketed. I've parked here for the last few years and I've never had a problem I has a closer look and noticed they changed the signs for the CNE event. Here's a photo of a (temporary) sign, over a sign + photo of ticket someone's ticket lol .
Images
  • IMG_20170820_155303.jpg
  • IMG_20170820_155121.jpg
  • IMG_20170820_153246.jpg
  • IMG_20170820_153255.jpg