• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 10:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1375 posts
1098 upvotes

String Trimmer - Advice needed

We had to throw out our 10 year old Weed Eater gas powered trimmer.

We now need a new one. My wife isn’t too keen on gas powdered as she could never figure out how to start it and I often had issues starting it. It was very frustrating and I was kind of glad when we tossed it.

I don’t want electrical

I’m between battery powdered or another gas one (hoping getting a decent brand will start more reliably)

There is a Dewalt 20V deal with a blower at HD right now. But as I check reviews people are complaining that the battery life is horrible. I really don’t want to trim my lawn over a whole day while I charge batteries over and over.

I live on a 64’ wide , 130’ deep lot with a good amount of fence line (corner lot)

Can someone recommend a trimmer option for us?

I don’t want to run an extension cord, that’s my big request.

Otherwise, someone battery powered or gas powered that will be reliable
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9741 posts
6133 upvotes
Edmonton
Easto wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 4:57 pm
We had to throw out our 10 year old Weed Eater gas powered trimmer.

We now need a new one. My wife isn’t too keen on gas powdered as she could never figure out how to start it and I often had issues starting it. It was very frustrating and I was kind of glad when we tossed it.

I don’t want electrical

I’m between battery powdered or another gas one (hoping getting a decent brand will start more reliably)

There is a Dewalt 20V deal with a blower at HD right now. But as I check reviews people are complaining that the battery life is horrible. I really don’t want to trim my lawn over a whole day while I charge batteries over and over.

I live on a 64’ wide , 130’ deep lot with a good amount of fence line (corner lot)

Can someone recommend a trimmer option for us?

I don’t want to run an extension cord, that’s my big request.

Otherwise, someone battery powered or gas powered that will be reliable
I got the Dewalt 20v trimmer last summer, as I've invested in the Dewalt 20v tool system already. So I've got a couple of the 5Ah batteries kicking around.

My lot is about the same size as yours (8500 sq ft), and I've never had an issue finishing the trimming I need to do on it. And with the 5Ah battery, I plug the same battery into my 20v blower to clean off the sidewalks afterwards, and still have 2 out of 3 battery level lights lit.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1375 posts
1098 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 5:38 pm
I got the Dewalt 20v trimmer last summer, as I've invested in the Dewalt 20v tool system already. So I've got a couple of the 5Ah batteries kicking around.

My lot is about the same size as yours (8500 sq ft), and I've never had an issue finishing the trimming I need to do on it. And with the 5Ah battery, I plug the same battery into my 20v blower to clean off the sidewalks afterwards, and still have 2 out of 3 battery level lights lit.

C
Well, that’s great news.

Checking the reviews on HD I saw some bad ones and I has my sights set on the Dewalt as I have the 20V drill and impact driver. Also the 40V hedge trimmer.

I don’t have loads and loads of trimming to do, but I need to do some.

The HD one is a 20V, 2.0 amp battery.

Curious how that compares to your 5 amp
Last edited by Easto on Jul 11th, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6746 posts
3031 upvotes
Paris
The 40v brushless Ryobi string trimmers will change your trimming life. I have used a few, including an Ego, greenworks, and 18v and the older 40v brushed Ryobi and the latest model is amazing. I don’t hate trimming anymore.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9741 posts
6133 upvotes
Edmonton
I would add that if you haven’t invested in a battery system yet, the Ego family looks pretty tempting. But the batteries also look quite big and bulky for a handheld device like a trimmer or blower (more suited for a lawnmower, kinda).

And the life of the 2.0Ah would be less than half of the 5Ah. Not sure that would be suitable for a large lot, especially as the batteries age.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1375 posts
1098 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 11th, 2019 6:15 pm
I would add that if you haven’t invested in a battery system yet, the Ego family looks pretty tempting. But the batteries also look quite big and bulky for a handheld device like a trimmer or blower (more suited for a lawnmower, kinda).

And the life of the 2.0Ah would be less than half of the 5Ah. Not sure that would be suitable for a large lot, especially as the batteries age.

C
Then I’m stuck factoring in the price of 5.0 amp batteries.
Jul 14, 2017
64 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
I have an Ego 15 inch 56 volt 2.5ah battery which I bought last year to replace my 18 volt B@D Grass Hog....this Ego has lots of power and easy to reload line. I highly recommend this trimmer.Trimmer weight is 6.7 lbs,add another 2.77 lb for the 2.5 battery,total of 9.47 lbs,which is a little heavy to be lugging around on a large lot,but I find it's performance outdoes the weight thing. Not cheap,but most good things are. Huck50
Last edited by Huck50 on Jul 11th, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 17, 2010
239 posts
220 upvotes
I highly doubt you need a 5 ah battery. I maintain a property slightly larger than yours. I have no problem trimming the entire property using an Ego trimmer with a 2.5ah battery.

I also have a Husqvarna 129L gas trimmer. Fantastic spring assist pull start. The engine will start just with the force of the spring. However, I found it is too powerful and difficult to control while edging. The Ego trimmer is lighter and very comfortable to use.

Makita MM4 4 cycle trimmers are good alternatives if you have some extra cash. It has pressure relief valve + spring assist for even easier start. The noise is minimal for a gas tool. I can have a conversation while it is idle and doesn't hurt my ears at full throttle. However, Makita trimmers are more expansive than other brands. But you may find a good deal at end of the season.
Last edited by bundy5555 on Jul 12th, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6220 posts
2494 upvotes
Alberta
Stihl FS 56 RC-E with an Auto Cut C 25-2 head is what I have. It has Easy2Start and is the best thing ever. Lift up on the pull rope slowly about 8-12" and it starts, you don't even have to give it a big yank, a little kid can start this thing. Auto Cut head is super easy to load and you don't have to take it apart. A bit on the heavy side but you can always buy a shoulder strap for it. I had the Stihl FS 40 C-E with a curved shaft that I gave my dad. It also has Easy2Start. He's 86 and has no problems starting it. Curved shaft is lighter and actually easier to use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1375 posts
1098 upvotes
I might check out EGO

Do they typically go on sale?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11786 posts
6100 upvotes
Toronto
I have a similar sized lot, I've tried kobalt and worx battery trimmers and I couldn't get through my lot. I have all ridgid tools so getting investing into another battery system was not in the cards. Back to gas.

If you have the funds and have no battery system yet, battery would probably be the best option but there are lots of excellent gas units out there with easy start like echo, stihl etc... Just stay away from cheap gas units.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1375 posts
1098 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 8:34 am
I have a similar sized lot, I've tried kobalt and worx battery trimmers and I couldn't get through my lot. I have all ridgid tools so getting investing into another battery system was not in the cards. Back to gas.

If you have the funds and have no battery system yet, battery would probably be the best option but there are lots of excellent gas units out there with easy start like echo, stihl etc... Just stay away from cheap gas units.
I’d do gas again, but I need a reliable unit and one that’s easy to load the string. In addition, I don’t want to drop $400-$500 on a trimmer either.

Trying to figure out a reliable reasonable priced trimmer.

I’m sure Stihl and Echo are great. Most the commercial guys around here use them, but they also trim multiple properties a day.
Jul 17, 2010
239 posts
220 upvotes
Easto wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:36 am
I’d do gas again, but I need a reliable unit and one that’s easy to load the string. In addition, I don’t want to drop $400-$500 on a trimmer either.

I’m sure Stihl and Echo are great. Most the commercial guys around here use them, but they also trim multiple properties a day.
Buy outdoor power tools off season. You can find ton of good deal 50% to 80% off the regular price.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6220 posts
2494 upvotes
Alberta
Easto wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:36 am

The Stihl FS 56 RC-E is $269.95. It comes with a AutoCut 25-2 head but I had the dealer change it out for a AutoCut C 25-2 with no additional charge. I paid less than that when it was onsale.

AutoCut C 25-2

New AutoCut C 26-2