Parenting & Family

Stroller & Car Seat Thoughts

[OP]
Dec 21, 2010
384 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

Stroller & Car Seat Thoughts

Hello, I was wondering if I could tap into some of the knowledge on this forum for these two items, without being able to see strollers / car seats in person yet to test out due to COVID restrictions.

Details:
-First Baby due in late October (so baby may not go out in stroller for walks realistically for first 6 months during the cold months, so is a basinet/stroller even needed?).
-I have an old bucket car seat (from sister) that could be used, for carrying baby (in hand) to doctor appointments early.
-SUV driver, in a house, will not be using public transit, no city usage, not carrying up stairs, and likely only going for medium walks in subdivision starting at 6 months.
-I am considering buying an independent car seat to stay full time in car (from hospital birth to finish), and not move it back and forth into a stroller. (tip my sister gave me, thoughts?)

May have a 2nd baby eventually. I think I am good with going with a "one prominent seat type", and if a 2nd baby comes down the line, reevaluate my options afterwards. Interested in new or used models as well.

Thank you kindly.
9 replies
Apr 3, 2018
207 posts
151 upvotes
Buy an infant car seat too, especially the first few month will be in winter. Even thought you will only use it for 4 to 6 month. You don't want a screaming baby in cold garage while you are trying to buckle them up. Also hospital won't let you leave without one.

You can also use the stroller in the house to calm the infant down.

Bassinet is good for the first few weeks and as a second portable day bed.
Last edited by theposter on May 31st, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3748 posts
784 upvotes
Babies sleep so much the first year that the bucket seat was convenient to move them around.

bucket seat = something like chicco keyfit 30 taht they outgrow relatively fast.

Who wants to wake a sleeping baby getting them out of the car? not this dad. lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2615 posts
1867 upvotes
GTA
As someone who just had a baby, I definitely advise on an infant seat. Makes it easy to get baby in and out of car and to walk with from hospital, to appointments and such. In my limited time with a child, trying to get an infant into a permanent car seat who is crying is a very difficult thing to do as it only intensifies the situation and puts a rush on the activity that can be quite stressful.

I have a graco snugride 35 click and connect. Easy to use once you figure the thing out.
Please don’t confuse my kindness for weakness.
May 21, 2012
294 posts
231 upvotes
Burlington
I'm a car seat tech (CPST). It is a myth that you need an RFO (removable infant) car seat to leave the hospital. There are some nurses that will try to make that rule, so if you do plan to use a convertible from birth, it is best to contact the hospital ahead of time and get the OK in writing. (A car seat that stays permanently in the car and can rear face and later forward face is called a convertible car seat.) Note that not all convertible car seats will fit a newborn, even if the weight/height limits on the seat are appropriate.

It is a personal decision as to whether you want the convenience of an RFO/infant car seat. Often people who babywear will skip the RFO. Also, a newborn should not spend a lot of time in the car seat. The angle of the car seat is a compromise between the flat surface on which a newborn should sleep and safety in a car collision. In addition, when placed on the floor/in a stroller, the angle of the car seat may not be correct. The is something I didn't think to check before I did the car seat tech training.
Jan 20, 2012
927 posts
568 upvotes
Toronto
Baby was born in the summer and we skipped bassinet and used reclined flat seat on stroller for walks in the 1st few months. Infant seat was very useful to move the baby everywhere without disturbing the baby. In the winter, I can wrap the seat with clothes to protect from cold instead of bundling my son crazy so I don't have to remove too much of clothing when getting indoor.
Jul 17, 2012
9 posts
Ottawa
Inclemental wrote: Baby was born in the summer and we skipped bassinet and used reclined flat seat on stroller for walks in the 1st few months. Infant seat was very useful to move the baby everywhere without disturbing the baby. In the winter, I can wrap the seat with clothes to protect from cold instead of bundling my son crazy so I don't have to remove too much of clothing when getting indoor.
May I ask which stroller/car seat combo you bought?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4124 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
NeedaSuit wrote: Hello, I was wondering if I could tap into some of the knowledge on this forum for these two items, without being able to see strollers / car seats in person yet to test out due to COVID restrictions.

Details:
-First Baby due in late October (so baby may not go out in stroller for walks realistically for first 6 months during the cold months, so is a basinet/stroller even needed?).
-I have an old bucket car seat (from sister) that could be used, for carrying baby (in hand) to doctor appointments early.
-SUV driver, in a house, will not be using public transit, no city usage, not carrying up stairs, and likely only going for medium walks in subdivision starting at 6 months.
-I am considering buying an independent car seat to stay full time in car (from hospital birth to finish), and not move it back and forth into a stroller. (tip my sister gave me, thoughts?)

May have a 2nd baby eventually. I think I am good with going with a "one prominent seat type", and if a 2nd baby comes down the line, reevaluate my options afterwards. Interested in new or used models as well.

Thank you kindly.
We've gone through this with 2 kids, and I would 100% recommend a travel system stroller with removable/click-in infant car seat. Doesn't matter if winter or summer, you will definitely be in situations where you have to drive the baby somewhere and transport them. A removable car seat you can plop into a stroller and back in a few seconds is incredibly convenient as opposed to having to unbuckle the infant, move them to a stroller, buckle them in again, and repeat when going back to the car. Especially when it's freezing cold out or raining, or when the kid is asleep in the car or stroller and you don't want to wake them and start a crying fit.

If you have an older car seat from a relative, just be mindful of the expiration date if you intend to use it in a car. Most have something like a 7-10 year expiry from manufacture date. I've heard hospitals sometimes check and won't let you leave with an expired car seat, but not sure if this is true or actually enforced.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7212 posts
1455 upvotes
Scarborough
the Graco travel system from walmart also works fine and is more reasonable/cheaper at around $200-300.