• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2009 1:53 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 6, 2008
318 posts
76 upvotes

strong weed killer

Any idea on where a person can get weed killer for about 2 acres application.

Is all the good strong (toxic) stuff now outlawed?
Or can I still buy old stock somewhere?
I think I read whatever is on store shelves can still be sold until stock is depleted.

Or should I go across the border and buy in NY state? Can I bring that in?

(Apologies to the earth. I would feel more "green" if our lawn wasn't such a complete and total weedy mess.)
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1351 posts
15 upvotes
babinni wrote: Any idea on where a person can get weed killer for about 2 acres application.

Is all the good strong (toxic) stuff now outlawed?
Or can I still buy old stock somewhere?
I think I read whatever is on store shelves can still be sold until stock is depleted.

Or should I go across the border and buy in NY state? Can I bring that in?

(Apologies to the earth. I would feel more "green" if our lawn wasn't such a complete and total weedy mess.)
Environmental answer - better get used to it, maybe you'll pick it you this year and next but sooner or latter it won't be available.

Cross border - Don't see you having a problem as it's a provincial reg.

Available stock - I went through the gardening section the other day at CT. Normally I have difficulty breathing in that isle. Not so this year. You can't smell anything however there was lots of Round Up. All other toxic chemicals were gone, replace by "Green" products.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2004
4205 posts
87 upvotes
... yes, the "good stuff" is harder to find. Stores can still sell to get rid of inventory, but legally you can't use it (useless it's for a golf course, correct me if I'm wrong).

Try some of the smaller "mom and pop" hardware stores - like the older Home hardware and Rona stores in smaller areas. My local Rona had a table full of various stuff for a $1, but that was a month ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1351 posts
15 upvotes
masterc wrote: ... yes, the "good stuff" is harder to find. Stores can still sell to get rid of inventory, but legally you can't use it (useless it's for a golf course, correct me if I'm wrong).

Try some of the smaller "mom and pop" hardware stores - like the older Home hardware and Rona stores in smaller areas. My local Rona had a table full of various stuff for a $1, but that was a month ago.
You make a good point in that obtaining it is half the battle. There are informant lines so neighbours can complain and they will. I'm sure there will be no warnings on this and violators will be fined. The OP has a fairly large lot in a rural area so that will likely not be an issue. If my neighbour used it more than once, I'd call.