Structural upgrades from builder

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2021 9:46 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes

Structural upgrades from builder

We purchased a new 30 foot home. It comes with standard 11 foot ceilings on the first floor and a finished rec room in basement. Now we have to make a decision on what structural upgrades we want to make but the prices seem outrageous. Anyone have suggestions on what we should splurge on or avoid doing with the builder or even avoid doing altogether? I attached pics of price list and options we need to decide on.
Images
  • A2D02502-31BD-42C1-94AA-A90602E20DDD.jpeg
  • FE3D7EFC-6C73-4609-AF11-89104B52542C.jpeg
52 replies
Dec 25, 2006
309 posts
94 upvotes
Who is your builder and what area is this development in? Some of the prices are high relative to other builders. I would consider the following, depending on your budget/tastes/needs:
- 9ft second floor
- higher interior doors (this will compliment your amazing 11ft ceilings on main floor. Hopefully there are not too many doors as it is expensive per door)
- higher exterior door (single door is fine and this will give nice curb appeal)
- smooth ceiling per floor
- garage door opener receptacle
- chimney hood fan
- gas line for rough-in stove (because your basement is getting a rec room)
- water line for fridge (if you use the fridge water or ice maker)

In terms of what to skip, I would pass on all the electrical options as you can get it done yourself, especially pot lights which can be done for a fraction of the cost. The garage door opener receptacle is the exception as it makes life easy and is a neat job since garages are usually finished these days. The bathroom options are all very expensive in my opinion especially the options to convert a tub to shower. Good luck with your purchase.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
The prices are very high! That’s why I’m wondering if it’s even worth it to do some of these changes in the first place. Builder is Medallion. I know with the smooth ceilings, we could save at least 5K doing it ourselves afterward prior to move in. But again, no experience with any of this makes it a hard decision. And are 9ft ceilings on second floor worth the 14k price? Plus the higher doors to go with it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35811 posts
9154 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That is just highway robbery. I got most of that stuff included. Who charges for a receptacle for the garage door opener?

How much do they charge for a conduit pipe? Is this a semi?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11739 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
Gee wrote: That is just highway robbery. I got most of that stuff included. Who charges for a receptacle for the garage door opener?
I’m 99% sure that is code if you build a garage now that you must put a plug in. That one is weird.

I’d think about the 8 foot ceilings in the basement. The patio door to a garden door lines up with our prices, but they are putting in junk doors.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35811 posts
9154 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jerico wrote: I’m 99% sure that is code if you build a garage now that you must put a plug in. That one is weird.

I’d think about the 8 foot ceilings in the basement. The patio door to a garden door lines up with our prices, but they are putting in junk doors.
Doors I understand. That is definitely an upgrade.

My builder included 8 foot ceilings in the basement, the main floor had 10 foot ceilings, the only option for me was upgrading the second floor. Which I didn’t do and now regret. But to get 10th ceilings on my second floor, it was ~12,000$

There were no other structural upgrades. Everything was included. Unless you consider hardwood floors a structural upgrade. But they haven’’t used floors to enhance the structure of a building for over 60 years
Oct 25, 2014
165 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd do all 3 ceiling height upgrade and smooth ceiling if you have the money.
These are things you can't really do afterward, and the price for those ceiling upgrade aren't that outrageous

The rest you can skip or do it yourself after closing for same or lower cost.
Mar 9, 2019
225 posts
118 upvotes
I hope the house is somewhat cheaper than comparables in the area because some of those cost are either high or should come standard in todays market. ie. garage door opener plug?? EVERYONE has a automatic door opener now a days and for 150 each. They couldn't have just added that to the base price and called it standard.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2340 posts
3079 upvotes
I'd pay them to do smooth ceiling, easier to get it done now before moving in. Higher ceilings up to you, can't do that after the fact lol. Pot lights are easy to do after.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
All height upgrades and smooth ceilings for sure..how big is the house ? Hard to tell if 4300 is expensive if we don't know the sqft.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16300 posts
13811 upvotes
GTA, ON
Anastormi wrote: We purchased a new 30 foot home. It comes with standard 11 foot ceilings on the first floor and a finished rec room in basement.
11 foot?!

Where do they build homes that come with standard 11' ceilings? Normally it's 8 or 9.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea .. I've see 10 .. but 11 is odd since framimg lumber std size is 8,10,12
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1603 upvotes
Alliston, ON
It looks like this is the Lytton Park development in Whitby
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14736 posts
4869 upvotes
GTA
Surprised that so many people would pay for the smooth ceiling. If it's not painted, shouldn't be that hard to DIY?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
To get it true you need to skim coat the whole ceiling .. not just the drywall joints... I had someone do it.. then sand and then prime and paint... it's messy and quiet involved..
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14736 posts
4869 upvotes
GTA
TLSRULZ wrote: To get it true you need to skim coat the whole ceiling .. not just the drywall joints... I had someone do it.. then sand and then prime and paint... it's messy and quiet involved..
Maybe better to just skim coat right over the ceiling instead of scraping it off then? Asking...not an expert
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3473 posts
1654 upvotes
Mississauga
You can't do that as it crumbles when you touch it. So it would get into the skim and not look good. You have to take it off.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
14736 posts
4869 upvotes
GTA
TLSRULZ wrote: You can't do that as it crumbles when you touch it. So it would get into the skim and not look good. You have to take it off.
I guess skim coat will only work for old painted ceiling which isn't going to crumble so easily
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
Basement ceilings 100% and the $870 rough-in for the basement bathroom. You'd spend a lot more than $870 to break up concrete in the basement and run drains/vents etc. to a bathroom down there later.

Smooth ceilings everywhere (f'n popcorn).

Then maybe the ceiling height on the 2nd floor.

That's it.

I'd NEVER pay a new home builder to upgrade bathroom finishes. Chances are within 10 years you're going to discover they didn't waterproof your shower properly, it's been leaking for 8 years and you have to gut the thing anyhow.
Sep 10, 2020
42 posts
28 upvotes
Hi Anastormi,

We also bought from same builder in lytton park whitby. I have opened up thread for same reason at:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/community/f ... hp?t=24767

Ours is 45 ft lot but these upgrades are so costly. I am more interested to know people's experience with Medallion because they are asking to pay 50% upfront for these upgrades over 100k deposit. Have you been to your appointment or not yet?

FYI - I have also asked for cost for stair's staining, crown-moulding and master bedroom's tray ceiling along with having additional bath in basement. Here is what they have quoted;
Staining Stairs - $7200
Crown moulding 1st and 2nd floor except bath and laundary - $15000
Additional basement bathroom - $13000
Master Bed Tray Ceiling - $3300

Our experience with previous builder was way more affordable and 100% mortgage finance, here we are so confuse what to pick and what to leave. Last but not least, we need opinion on walkout basement, out lot is deeper (130ft), so is it worth spending 25k to get walkout/walkup basement from builder? Note we don't have any plan to rent it however may use in future for our long term guests such as family from states or other countries who may visit for couple of weeks or parents to live for over month.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)