Personal Finance

Stuck in the middle of a dispute between Paypal and Amex...am I SOL?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 7:02 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
2 posts
1 upvote

Stuck in the middle of a dispute between Paypal and Amex...am I SOL?

This is my first post ever for such an old account, but I really have no one else to turn to for guidance.

Back in Oct 2020, I tried to buy a 3080 off of Newegg's ebay store, the same day that order got cancelled by newegg. About 6 business days pass and I receive no email from newegg or ebay about when the refund would be issued.

I decide to contact amex to dispute the charge(my biggest mistake), they issue me a refund immediately. I get an email from paypal that a dispute was opened and it was decided in my favour.

A week passes and another refund is applied to my credit card, the original refund that newegg-ebay was supposed to send to me. I now have extra credit on my account.

Amex now sees the double credit, and issues a debit charge for the amount they initially credited me. From my perspective, the transactions are now balanced. 2 debit charges and 2 credit charges.

Come January, Paypal sends an email that since I was given double credit, they are owed that initial amount ($1340). The problem is that Amex never sent the amount they debited from me, to paypal. So I have been basically calling both paypal and amex trying to figure out how to bridge this gap, I reached out to Paypal Chargeback division and they are simply providing no assistance and saying because I initiated the dispute, its my responsibility. When reaching out to Amex, they agree and see the issue that Paypal was never paid, but they say that Paypal needs to reach out to Amex Merchant services in order to collect the amount owed. The problem is that paypal is refusing to do so and there is a negative balance now sitting on my paypal account.

I'm really not sure what to do at this point, I understand I made a big mistake of doing the dispute through Amex instead of paypal. I really don't want this amount eventually being sent to collections and my credit score taking a hit, should I continue trying to work this through with Amex?
4 replies
Dec 22, 2007
698 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga
stop calling them to figure it out. reply to the last email tell them to call amex and leave it at that. no explanations just simple one line.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
2 posts
1 upvote
DeletedMemories wrote: stop calling them to figure it out. reply to the last email tell them to call amex and leave it at that. no explanations just simple one line.
Well the issue here is that I just can't leave it at that. The negative balance on my paypal account will eventually be sent off to a collections agency, which will in turn ding my credit score even if I was to win the case against them(my understanding).
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1217 posts
1014 upvotes
Calgary
MOCAMBO wrote: Well the issue here is that I just can't leave it at that. The negative balance on my paypal account will eventually be sent off to a collections agency, which will in turn ding my credit score even if I was to win the case against them(my understanding).
If that happens, just send them a copy of your AmEx statement showing that it was repaid. Collection agencies/credit agencies will remove it if the debt isn't valid.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2544 posts
1328 upvotes
London
seems to me like u jumped the gun on filing a dispute with the cc.

ur first step should have been to contact newegg and ask why they didn't process the refund. newegg refunds take 7-10 working days.

second step would have been to contact ebay and ask them to dispute it then if that didn't work contact paypal. contacting amex should have been the very last step if all those other steps didn't get u a refund.

imo amex shouldn't have even accepted the charge back request it was to soon both visa and mastercard have a 15 day rule that u have to wait 15 days from the day of the promised refund. also they tell u to contact the retailer first.

as for fixing what happened id suggest screenshot your statement with your cc number blocked out showing that amex never gave the credit and send it to paypal though there facebook page and/or a bbb complaint hopefully they will reverse it.