• Jul 28th, 2020 12:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2560 posts
706 upvotes
Ottawa

Studdable tires to be used with no studs in Ontario

Hello all, probably a silly question, but I need some help.
Need to buy new set of tires and found a great deal (very slightly used). However, the tires are studdable and I have no intention to use any studs on them (and I can't as I am in southern Ontario).
Any disadvantage of buying studdable tires?

here is the link to specific tires I am after: Link to tires

TIA!
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8687 posts
4929 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Have used both Winterforce and Altimax Arctic [both are studdable tires] without studs and worked fine.

Note that once tires are used I don't think you can even consider to stud the tires.

These will most likely be fine for deep snow but not as good on ice as studless winters or studded winters BUT still much better then all seasons.
2022: BOC raised 7 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9992 posts
7942 upvotes
Kootenays
Using studdable tires without studs would not present any problems. Once studdable tires have been used at all, you can't ad studs, as there will be bits of grit in the stud holes that the stud can push through the tire, creating leaks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37869 posts
23965 upvotes
Center of Universe
In have I*Pike RW11 that can be fitted with studs and have no issues using them here in Ottawa.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Thing about studdable tyres is a lot of them tend to actually rely on being studded to offer the performance they're designed to. Studless winters OTOH are designed from the getgo without studs in mind. What this means is in a lot of cases if you don't stud them they're not going to perform as well as a comparable studless design. This is not true in every single case but it's something to keep in mind. In short I would tend to stay away from studdable tyres when you know you can't stud them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2560 posts
706 upvotes
Ottawa
thank you, great input!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2560 posts
706 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: In have I*Pike RW11 that can be fitted with studs and have no issues using them here in Ottawa.
thanks, fellow neighbour ;-)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)