• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2014 7:35 pm
[OP]
May 1, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON

Students as employees just not cutting it these days

I have had such a bad experience hiring students.
They apply
They get interview time
They don't show up
Quit before start date after accepting job.

I suppose there are so many job opportunities out there to choose from.

Ok out of my system now :)
18 replies
Jan 29, 2009
601 posts
78 upvotes
You're obviously not very good at selecting the right students then.
[OP]
May 1, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON
Could be, I was open to giving them an opportunity to get experience.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2488 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
MylaBrugmans wrote: Could be, I was open to giving them an opportunity to get experience.
i actually think it's probably the nature of the job you're offering in relation to the wage you're willing to pay

the fast food industry hires students all the time at minimum wage working them under stress and they never seem to have a problem finding people, if people pick that over your job offering then maybe it's not them it's you
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
If so many people are ditching you, it's probably you, not them.
Jul 29, 2013
494 posts
181 upvotes
So what exactly are you hiring for, that might help, I need a job and 10 others I know atleast need jobs, many with degrees.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
A lot of students are kids sitting at home eating mommy and daddy's food and have their life (education, car, etc.) paid for. Not to mention funded roof over their head too. For them whatever chump change they make at their part-time income is 100% disposable.

With that mentality they obviously don't care as much about the job as they don't even need it.
Even if these kids don't find a job after graduation their parents will keep them fed.

I went to university for countless people like that for years. Makes you sick to your stomach because they really don't have working hearts.

On the flip side you have broke students taking out loans and having trouble finding work, but one common characteristic they tend to share is they are afraid of hard work- sometimes away from their family and friends- and that is why they're still broke. Or they have work offered to them and they still decide to be picky, even if the money is good (who said you had to do that work forever anyways? Could always just find another better job later... lol)

And then you have students who fit neither of those categories... and those are the ones who leave/work hard to make a better future for themselves.

I was 20 when I bought my car and new truck myself and didn't need to ask my parents for them. Now I am funding my training to hopefully double my income and I didn't need to ask my parents for the thousands of $$$ for the courses either. Though I had to make sacrifices. I remember having to work multiple series of menial jobs at once to buy my first car, it sucked.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Banned
Nov 30, 2013
3 posts
I suppose I have higher expectations. I suffered a massive stroke at the age of 23. This killed me. When I woke, I found I was completely paralyzed on my left side. I had to learn everything again. Learn how to sit, roll over in bed and eventually walk.

Today I am that person who is in the gym each day. I work my butt off each day in everything I do.

My journey has been more difficult than most. So I get a little frustrated.

This is my published story http://westgtastroke.ca/resources/stories/

The job is based out of north west Brampton. Message me privately if you want to know more with your email and cell number. I'm looking for people with a no quit attitude and great personality who love the outdoors.

Enjoy your weekend, Off to work then gym :)
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2012
1379 posts
179 upvotes
AB
MylaB865 wrote: I suppose I have higher expectations. I suffered a massive stroke at the age of 23. This killed me. When I woke, I found I was completely paralyzed on my left side. I had to learn everything again. Learn how to sit, roll over in bed and eventually walk.

Today I am that person who is in the gym each day. I work my butt off each day in everything I do.

My journey has been more difficult than most. So I get a little frustrated.

This is my published story http://westgtastroke.ca/resources/stories/

The job is based out of north west Brampton. Message me privately if you want to know more with your email and cell number. I'm looking for people with a no quit attitude and great personality who love the outdoors.

Enjoy your weekend, Off to work then gym :)
Why does this sound like a door to door sales job?
Jul 29, 2013
494 posts
181 upvotes
lmao, abuse of personality disability sympathy to lure people into ***** job? either manual labor under correct rates or door to door commission based work thats all a bunch of bs monopolizing on poor broke students. exactly why you decided to post in a student forum regarding jobs.

you should be *****ing ashamed.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16772 posts
2444 upvotes
FirstGear wrote: A lot of students are kids sitting at home eating mommy and daddy's food and have their life (education, car, etc.) paid for. Not to mention funded roof over their head too. For them whatever chump change they make at their part-time income is 100% disposable.

I went to university for countless people like that for years. Makes you sick to your stomach because they really don't have working hearts.

On the flip side you have broke students taking out loans and having trouble finding work, but one common characteristic they tend to share is they are afraid of hard work- sometimes away from their family and friends- and that is why they're still broke. Or they have work offered to them and they still decide to be picky, even if the money is good (who said you had to do that work forever anyways? Could always just find another better job later... lol)

Lazy millennial's? :)
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2488 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote: A lot of students are kids sitting at home eating mommy and daddy's food and have their life (education, car, etc.) paid for. Not to mention funded roof over their head too. For them whatever chump change they make at their part-time income is 100% disposable.

With that mentality they obviously don't care as much about the job as they don't even need it.
Even if these kids don't find a job after graduation their parents will keep them fed.

And then you have students who fit neither of those categories... and those are the ones who leave/work hard to make a better future for themselves.

I was 20 when I bought my car and new truck myself and didn't need to ask my parents for them. Now I am funding my training to hopefully double my income and I didn't need to ask my parents for the thousands of $$$ for the courses either. Though I had to make sacrifices. I remember having to work multiple series of menial jobs at once to buy my first car, it sucked.
so just how many times do you intend to recite your "story" on rfd on how everyone should be you?

you're in a good situation now, but it's more or less a dead end career, let's face it you're not going to work 30-40 years out on the field, and the second you leave, you'll be working your way up like a regular university graduate, probably having to face those you despise as your supervisor

anyways, i'm not saying what you did was wrong, i believe somewhere in between is probably more realistic, expecting a teenager to be totally financially independent is completely ridiculous, and doesn't let those who are actually academically gifted to focus on their studies to do what they need to do (let's face it, i don't think your university education had a high barrier to entry), having a part time job to pay for their own entertainment/food expenses is absolutely reasonable, to me at least

but yes we can all hate the lazy teens and young adults who feed off their parents
Nov 24, 2011
278 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
MylaB865 wrote: This is my published story http://westgtastroke.ca/resources/stories/

If you go to that website, MylaB865 is MylaBrugmans

Judging from her little self-advertising, it sounds like she's running some door-to-door sales or MLM ***** and this thread's just a scam to get fresh recruits.

Hey Myla, maybe the reason students bail on you even before the start date is because your "job offer" sounds like or straight up is a god damned scam. Offer a REAL job and you'll find that students will take it as seriously as the next person.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
JuliTheNub wrote: If you go to that website, MylaB865 is MylaBrugmans

Judging from her little self-advertising, it sounds like she's running some door-to-door sales or MLM ***** and this thread's just a scam to get fresh recruits.

Hey Myla, maybe the reason students bail on you even before the start date is because your "job offer" sounds like or straight up is a god damned scam. Offer a REAL job and you'll find that students will take it as seriously as the next person.
Yes, and her second account got banned as per the RFD rules.

Myla, sorry for your hard life. But what does your story have to do with your company and your job posting?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2031 posts
395 upvotes
GTA
Let's face it, no one likes door to door sales.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5617 posts
1478 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
That's up to me.

There are tons of other jobs in the field beyond labour-related that develop into careers. You only work your way up as a regular university graduate if you choose to. Some start out working on an oilsands site and then move into an administrative role after a while (some of which actually require university education). Happened to someone on a Nexen site I worked at.
medalgo wrote: so just how many times do you intend to recite your "story" on rfd on how everyone should be you?

you're in a good situation now, but it's more or less a dead end career, let's face it you're not going to work 30-40 years out on the field, and the second you leave, you'll be working your way up like a regular university graduate, probably having to face those you despise as your supervisor

anyways, i'm not saying what you did was wrong, i believe somewhere in between is probably more realistic, expecting a teenager to be totally financially independent is completely ridiculous, and doesn't let those who are actually academically gifted to focus on their studies to do what they need to do (let's face it, i don't think your university education had a high barrier to entry), having a part time job to pay for their own entertainment/food expenses is absolutely reasonable, to me at least

but yes we can all hate the lazy teens and young adults who feed off their parents
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22298 posts
3161 upvotes
JuliTheNub wrote: If you go to that website, MylaB865 is MylaBrugmans

joepoonie wrote: Yes, and her second account got banned as per the RFD rules.

Myla, sorry for your hard life. But what does your story have to do with your company and your job posting?
Not to mention the self-promo, all relating to "Direct Fine Foods."
1. just-watched-food-inc-just-wondering-wh ... st18827226
2. looking-grass-fed-maybe-organic-meat-ne ... st18826687
3. looking-grass-fed-maybe-organic-meat-ne ... st18826445
4. looking-grass-fed-maybe-organic-meat-ne ... st18826680
5. delicious-free-all-natural-steak-sample ... st18825890
6. delicious-free-all-natural-steak-sample ... st18825711

Toss in our poster to Google and you find shes a "proud representative at Direct Fine Foods."
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2488 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
FirstGear wrote: That's up to me.

There are tons of other jobs in the field beyond labour-related that develop into careers. You only work your way up as a regular university graduate if you choose to. Some start out working on an oilsands site and then move into an administrative role after a while (some of which actually require university education). Happened to someone on a Nexen site I worked at.
When you say some I think it actually means an exceptionally small minority, you've made some wise decisions but now you're betting on that?

Good luck with it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9931 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I don't think it's anything to do with "lazy generation" because this same lazy generation of students still has jobs at McD's and McD's is still able to get them to show up to their interviews so if students don't show up to yours, either you're not picking the right ones or whatever you're offering isn't enticing to them (work conditions, pay etc.).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)