Studio Ghibli's next movies: "Aya and the Witch" and "How Do You Live?"

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2020 4:27 am
[OP]
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
692 upvotes

Studio Ghibli's next movies: "Aya and the Witch" and "How Do You Live?"

Despite his repeated threats to retire or for Studio Ghibli to go bankrupt - - there is great news for fans of Hayao Miyazaki - - two new movies are scheduled for release!

"Aya and the Witch" will be released this winter on Japanese TV. Based on recent history, that likely means a Spring 2021 release in North America. Unfortunately, due to cost cutting measures this movie will be the studio's first fully CGI movie instead of using their renowned hand drawn art. Worse, it is being animated entirely in 3D. :( Still, any Ghibli is better than no Ghibli, and although this one is directed by Goro Miyazaki, it has been planned and produced for years by his father Hayao Miyazaki.

"How Do You Live?", more significantly, will be directed by the master himself Hayao Miyazaki, and will be animated with proper traditional animation techniques. It is in production and set for a 2023 release.

I can't wait!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5652 posts
2200 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
They make some of the best movies... animation or not.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1978 posts
249 upvotes
I'm still iffy on Goro Miyazaki. Earthsea was so bad, I never even bothered to finish the movie. His second flick was a little better but shoulda stayed as a live action drama.