Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8558 posts
3747 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…

StudioTax 2020

Deal Link:
https://www.downloadstudiotax.com/ver20 ... nstall.exe

Website hasn't updated yet but installation file is ready. If you are wary of clicking EXE links, go to StudioTax's page, copy the 2019 link and replace 19 with 20.

EDIT: Hold off downloading for now, there is a bug with the posted version where you can't save, throws an error saying you reached 20 returns.
Last edited by ToniCipriani on Dec 28th, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1514 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
I can't save, says it has reached my 20 returns limit...
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12114 posts
15178 upvotes
Vancouver
ToniCipriani wrote: https://www.downloadstudiotax.com/ver20 ... nstall.exe

Website hasn't updated yet but installation file is ready. If you are wary of clicking EXE links, go to StudioTax's page, copy the 2019 link and replace 19 with 20.
That's the Windows only version. Trick doesn't work for Mac version.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1730 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
FYI guys - looks like they will be charging for the 2020. Just a heads-up in case you get to the end and file/print, then realize you got to pay

"In order to meet the ever-increasing maintenance costs and to support our employees, we are unfortunately no longer able to offer StudioTax as a free software. To keep the software around and improving for many years to come, we are asking for your help by paying $15.0 for a license before printing and/or filing the return. We are still offering the software for free for users with income less than 20K and for our northern residents (NT, YT, NU)."
MechanicalMan64
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1844 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal, QC
MechanicalMan64 wrote: FYI guys - looks like they will be charging for the 2020. Just a heads-up in case you get to the end and file/print, then realize you got to pay

"In order to meet the ever-increasing maintenance costs and to support our employees, we are unfortunately no longer able to offer StudioTax as a free software. To keep the software around and improving for many years to come, we are asking for your help by paying $15.0 for a license before printing and/or filing the return. We are still offering the software for free for users with income less than 20K and for our northern residents (NT, YT, NU)."
Sorry to see them start to charge but can understand the reason for it. I've been using the software for a few years without any issues so will pay for it as opposed to using/switching to a different product. I just wish that they had a lower priced option for a single return but $15+taxes is still less expensive than some of their competitors.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
2755 posts
2353 upvotes
BC
lmcjipo wrote: Sorry to see them start to charge but can understand the reason for it. I've been using the software for a few years without any issues so will pay for it as opposed to using/switching to a different product. I just wish that they had a lower priced option for a single return but $15+taxes is still less expensive than some of their competitors.
agree. it's unfortunate they are starting to charge this year... have been using them for a good few years as the software is good enough for semi complex returns
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1009 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga
Studiotax 2020 e-file will not be free?
Phone: Koodo LG G3
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5883 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
RestIsHistory wrote: Studiotax 2020 e-file will not be free?
StudioTax 2020 for Windows

New this year
The StudioTax team has taken the difficult decision to transition from a free to a paid model starting this year. At the same time we tried to keep StudioTax affordable and accessible. Our mission is growing and we are taking on more and more new talented team members who are working hard to offer you, our valued users, the best possible product and support.
For more detail view the payment page

Note for Windows 10 users in the unlikely case that you run into installation issues or StudioTax fails to save your return, the most likely root cause is the Windows 10 Controlled folder access. In that case you can find the solution at this Microsoft support link.
Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10

Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!

Help is what I do :)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1844 posts
1323 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RestIsHistory wrote: Studiotax 2020 e-file will not be free?
No, it won't be.

Refer to https://www.studiotax.com/paymentpage.html
In order to meet the ever-increasing maintenance costs and to support our employees, we are unfortunately no longer able to offer StudioTax as a free software. To keep the software around and improving for many years to come, we are asking for your help by paying $15.0 for a license before printing and/or filing the return. You still get the maximum number of returns (20) allowed by CRA. We are still offering the software for free for users with income less than 20K and for our northern residents (NT, YT, NU).
Aug 13, 2003
461 posts
280 upvotes
Calgary
yesnomaybe wrote: Any good free ones?
Off to GenuTax now I guess, although have to wait until after Feb. 22nd before the 2020 version becomes available. Maybe by then they will suddenly turn non-free too, hope not.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8558 posts
3747 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
MechanicalMan64 wrote: FYI guys - looks like they will be charging for the 2020. Just a heads-up in case you get to the end and file/print, then realize you got to pay

I guess the commercial version wasn't selling enough to support the personal version.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1962 posts
1216 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
FutureTax is $7.99 for 1 return or $9.99 for 2 returns.

I find it more user friendly than studio tax.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1461 posts
1242 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Having used StudioTax for a decade (can't really pin down how long unless I check my backups) with absolutely no issues, the least I can do is support them now.

$15 to file taxes for an entire family AND to support a Canadian company (I've done no research, but I am assuming this is a CDN company) is an absolute no brainer.

EDIT: Looks like it is still FREE for those making under $40k. Doesn't apply to me but thought others would like to know.