Automotive

Stuff stolen from car - did cops actually ask for your video/pics?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 11:55 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto

Stuff stolen from car - did cops actually ask for your video/pics?

Just filed a police report online as per the sgt at the local shop. Scum was walking around in the hood at 12:30am trying to get into folks rides. Anyone that has caught someone stealing from cars and has a video surveillance system, did the cops actually ask you for the evidence? If so, did anything ever become of your police report?

TIA and you know I will. Also; you may downvote at your discretion.

TIA.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8337 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
It was a few years back: neighbour's car was broken into and was captured on nearby home CCTV. Cops looked at footage but never asked for original or copy. They provided an incident/report number for his insurance claim. The incident appeared on their local crime stats/report.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1311 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
They don't care if the actual car is stolen so I doubt they will do something for stuff.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12427 posts
8931 upvotes
Edmonton
We had a garage break-in last summer, at which point I ordered some Ring stuff for surveillance. Between the one break-in and getting the equipment set up, we had another break-in, into a car parked in a rear-alley driveway.

Later that year, we caught some guy riding his bike along the back alley around 5am. He did a quick swoop up the driveway, made sure our doors were locked for us (thanks, bud!), and then continued on our way while not even stopping his bike. With the previous break-in, they smashed the window, so it didn't matter that the door was locked.

I got in touch with the local police precinct, and surprisingly enough, one of the officers got back in touch with me. I e-mailed him a link to the video, on his request. AFAIK, nothing ever came of it; nobody ever got back in touch with me. The officer I talked to was happy to talk about break-ins and prevention, but admitted that the odds were slim in getting the guy off the street. Technically, he had broken no laws by attempting to open the car door, so they'd have to catch him breaking in somewhere else or with stolen goods or...

Last week, we caught another low-life pulling up on the driveway on his bike, but as soon as the spot-light on the camera clicked on, he reversed direction and headed back out. Called in a complaint to the non-emergency number, gave them a pretty detailed description just in case an officer was cruising the neighborhood. Didn't hear anything back with that.

In all cases, I keep in touch with the neighbors, and let them know when we see anything suspicious. One of our neighbors did have a break-in, and they caught the guy. He went to the trial, and the prosecution has the guy's large record on his desk. Guy got convicted, but got yet another slap on the wrist.

Sorry for the ramble... :) Not sure if it helps.

C
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
Ok, so at best nothing is really going to come of this and anything of value taken from any of the cars will go through insurance.

I appreciate the post. Thank you.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11857 posts
4181 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt it,
File a false police report has a legal liability. I doubt anyone who would lie that they have a laptop or whatever they had in the car and got stolen but it wasn't.

Stuff stolen inside car is cover under your house/property insurance.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8337 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote: ... I doubt anyone who would lie that they have a laptop or whatever they had in the car and got stolen but it wasn't. ...
You're kidding, right? Insurance fraud is big business.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4174 posts
3297 upvotes
GTA
Crossbow will be on sale at Princess Auto next week. It says "good for small game hunting". Wouldn't call those thiefs anything but "small game". Just remember to wear safety goggles.
Nov 17, 2006
82 posts
77 upvotes
koffey wrote: If so, did anything ever become of your police report?
Laughs in Vancouver.

Maybe it's better in Ontario (it can't be worse) but in Vancouver the cops don't even want to come out to take a report of an incident. Actually, the police don't even respond to crimes/break-ins in progress. Lots of examples and discussions of this on the Vancouver subreddit.

Also, sorry it sucks to have property stolen :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8337 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
slickdealer wrote: Laughs in Vancouver.

Maybe it's better in Ontario (it can't be worse) but in Vancouver the cops don't even want to come out to take a report of an incident. Actually, the police don't even respond to crimes/break-ins in progress. Lots of examples and discussions of this on the Vancouver subreddit.

Also, sorry it sucks to have property stolen :(
You do understand that Vancouver is a city and Ontario is a province, right? Just kidding ....

Anyway, in Ontario, police response depends very much on the police force involved and where the incident occurs. In Toronto, police will take a report and give the person involved a reference number for insurance purposes. They are very unlikely to do much more than that.

In smaller places, IME, a cruiser and a couple of cops might turn up but, essentially, the result will be the same.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5950 posts
2464 upvotes
Debtario
Property crime is ultra-low priority, often ends with the police report unless it's a major wave that attracts lots of media attention. Only if violence and/or weapons are involved is it taken seriously.

Like Cneufeld said, even if caught they get a slap on the wrist. Most of these folks have substance abuse or mental health issues, a fine/jail time won't address their underlying problems and they'll be back at it as soon as they're on the street.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1444 posts
1597 upvotes
Yes, I happen to have a video pointing directly at my car from inside the house, provided video. Apparently someone broke in and stole the dashcam. The face can be seem fairly clearly. I told them I have footage when I filed it online and the cop came to my place to ask for it within the day. Asked me to e-mail him the dropbox link. So I did.

Nothing came off it. Though I do need the police report to claim my credit card insurance. Didn't really expect much else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5535 posts
3052 upvotes
Toronto
doonboy wrote: They don't care if the actual car is stolen so I doubt they will do something for stuff.
Do cops care even if cars are stolen these days? They no care even when there is accident in GTA. All they do is refer you to call your insurance and go to the collision centre.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4174 posts
3297 upvotes
GTA
peteryorkuca wrote: Do cops care even if cars are stolen these days? They no care even when there is accident in GTA. All they do is refer you to call your insurance and go to the collision centre.
One time there was a big collision at major Mississauga's intersection. 2 police cruisers showed up and asked if someone called 911. Then they said, their shift is almost over and they need to go- another officer will be here shortly. They navigated around smashed up vehicles and took off. Next cruiser showed up 20 minutes later, there was a huge chaos on the roads by then.
Jan 8, 2015
401 posts
343 upvotes
Mississauga
koffey wrote: Just filed a police report online as per the sgt at the local shop. Scum was walking around in the hood at 12:30am trying to get into folks rides. Anyone that has caught someone stealing from cars and has a video surveillance system, did the cops actually ask you for the evidence? If so, did anything ever become of your police report?

TIA and you know I will. Also; you may downvote at your discretion.

TIA.

Yes have a video doorbell. Cops watched the video at my house and then emailed me after to have it sent to them.
I emailed them maybe 4 months later asking for a follow up. No response.

Was hoping for something considering they used my petro points so I had the address for the gas station they were at and the time. Easy to pull plate# for thier cams.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14926 posts
9332 upvotes
Toronto
There's been a string of thefts in the area, multiple homes with video grabs of the perps, one person has the license plate and shared only a pic of the vehicle in question. Pretty sad. Cops said they can't do much even with evidence, they indicated they need to catch them with the goods or in the process, lol...

Here's the vehicle in question. Any thoughts? I was thinking a ~2015 Dodge Journey
1565024872590.jpg
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3540 posts
1855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've got 4 cameras in the front and 2 in the back of the house. Camera's, like dashcam, is for your safety and records only.

There was a car that was stolen across from my house, where one of my camera feeds through. Saw a guy do something weird and hop on into the car and bolt. The car was a 2017 Lexus IS300 and pretty sure they had the key fob thing done. The owner came to my house and asked to see if my camera caught anyone. And I provided him the copy of the incident. He needed this to show proof to insurance that it was stolen on his driveway.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Apr 8, 2010
786 posts
433 upvotes
toronto
i got my car broken into once. smashed the window to grab a few things. called the cops. came out but they were pretty useless.

from that point on, i don't keep anything in the car and the car is unlocked. rather them open the door look around and take what they want rather than smashing my window
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8337 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
denti72 wrote: i got my car broken into once. smashed the window to grab a few things. called the cops. came out but they were pretty useless.

from that point on, i don't keep anything in the car and the car is unlocked. rather them open the door look around and take what they want rather than smashing my window
That's my strategy as well: leave nothing in car ever that might attract unwanted attention. I even leave the cargo area cover open so it can be seen that it is empty. I don't go as far as deliberately leaving the car unlocked but have done so occasionally by accident.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46292 posts
9308 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
denti72 wrote: i got my car broken into once. smashed the window to grab a few things. called the cops. came out but they were pretty useless.

Out of curiosity one day... i googled security for high theft areas. Like really bad ones.
I came across a inner city detroit message forum.
They were corvette owners... and they said the exact same strategy. Except they take it a step further and leave the windows open. Giving full invitation that theres nothing inside.