Cell Phones

Stupid question of the day : possible to activate new phone on Fido with Rogers sim?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2015 4:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1448 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto

Stupid question of the day : possible to activate new phone on Fido with Rogers sim?

Will be buying a new phone locked to Rogers. I'm on Fido.

I happen to have a new Rogers SIM card. Would it be possible for me to use it to activate the phone on Fido? Or will I absolutely have to have it unlocked first, then buy a Fido SIM card, and only then will I be able to activate the phone?

Thanks guy!
11 replies
May 30, 2015
25 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
As long as the phone isn't an iphone you won't need to unlock your rogers phone to work with Fido.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1448 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
It'll be a Note 4. That'd be great, then. I could buy my phone, call Fido to activate it with the new Rogers SIM and be on my way, then?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2067 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
No need to activate Rogers sim card. Just pop in your fido sim card in your Note 4. That's it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1448 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
libballeng wrote: No need to activate Rogers sim card. Just pop in your fido sim card in your Note 4. That's it.
You mean the one that I'm currently using in my S3? Would that physically fit? No need to call Fido to activate anything? Just transfer the SIM from the S3 to the Note 4 and it should work automatically?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2067 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
Yup. The sim in your S3 is micro sim, and I believe the Note 4 also has a micro sim slot.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16849 posts
5317 upvotes
Markham
You can not activate Fido Plan with Rogers SIM
you need Fido SIM
So use your old Fido SIM or get new Fido SIM
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38194 posts
24382 upvotes
Center of Universe
Keigotw wrote: You can not activate Fido Plan with Rogers SIM
you need Fido SIM
So use your old Fido SIM or get new Fido SIM
+1
Not a problem using robbers branded phone on fido's network.
But you cannot use a robbers simcard to activate a fido plan.
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Honestly, what is the situation with Rogers iPhones "not working on Fido" ? My friend bought a used ROGERS locked iPhone 4s about 2 yrs ago, which the seller was using when he bought it. It had Rogers signal, she took her SIM out, he put his Fido SIM in and got Fido service. Whats the deal? Was his phone randomly unlocked and the buyer just didn't tell us?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1448 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Worked for me. Phone was locked to Rogers. Transferred the Fido SIM over from my S3 to the Note 4, powered it on, and got service.

Thanks guys.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38194 posts
24382 upvotes
Center of Universe
Gozitano wrote: Honestly, what is the situation with Rogers iPhones "not working on Fido" ? My friend bought a used ROGERS locked iPhone 4s about 2 yrs ago, which the seller was using when he bought it. It had Rogers signal, she took her SIM out, he put his Fido SIM in and got Fido service. Whats the deal? Was his phone randomly unlocked and the buyer just didn't tell us?
Not with Fido, but both wife and I are using "robbers" phones on their subsidiary network Cityfone, without having to unlock them.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14356 posts
3600 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
You don't need to activate the phone. Pop the Fido SIM into the phone, and if it doesn't ask you for the unlock code, then you're good. If you're prompted for the code, then obviously, you will need to acquire the unlock code (eg. eBay).

If you're changing Fido SIM cards, for whatever reason, then you will need to activate the new SIM card. This has nothing to do with the phone. If you're on a post-paid plan, you can activate the new SIM on their website. If you're prepaid, then you will have to call them.