Automotive

[Stupid question] Where to buy car-like paint, to paint a canoe?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 11:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
909 posts
444 upvotes
Ontario

[Stupid question] Where to buy car-like paint, to paint a canoe?

Hi,

I am restoring a fiberglass canoe, but I have no idea where to get paint for it! I googled around and most people use Epifanes but I don't know where to get that in Canada! Or even just marine polyurethane.

I figure something like car paint and clear coat would do? Hence Im asking here.

Where do you get paint? Can paint, NOT spray paint.

I am in Brampton/ Mississauga region. Thanks a lot!
:cool:
11 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
I think car paint would not be flexible enough for a fiberglass canoe.
You can go to any auto body shop and buy whatever paint you want and they will mix it to whatever colour you want.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18936 posts
6120 upvotes
London
Some CT/Partsource stores sell 1L and 4L cans of auto paint in premixed colors = duplicolor paint shop finish system. I think there's only limited color selection

There's also Cmax (napa) up in Brampton that will mix bulk paint

Note that a lot of the better auto paint is catalyzed. A hardener is mixed in and you only have a few hours to apply it otherwise it hardens in the can
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3182 posts
1530 upvotes
CMAX can definitely do that for you. You can also ask them to add more flex agent for you as well.

But also keep in mind that it may not come out very well if you take a roller to it. So, unless you have an spray gun, the cans are not a bad idea as long as you know how to use them. They can come out fairly flawless if you prep right and make sure you don't over lap too much.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3008 posts
1356 upvotes
GTA
I would definitely talk to CMax, you might be able to get away with mixing in a lot of flexing agent into the paint, but there's probably better ways of doing it.

Have you tried googling?
[OP]
Dec 6, 2013
909 posts
444 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks guys. I googled specific marine paints but can't find any at the local stores. I've never heard of CMax so I will look them up, thank you.

@ iEyeCaptain - HD only carries wall paint I checked.
:cool:
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2015
1486 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Order some fiberglass paint / gelcoat online and be done with it.
Jul 7, 2005
602 posts
172 upvotes
Try carquest, use their website to locate a store that has paint available.

Sadly, they only sell waterborne paint to consumers now.
I used to be able to get some good low voc urethane paints (BASF Diamont/Glasurit), they don't offer these to the public anymore.

...you have to shoot these paints with a gun, an aerosol will sputter at the end or run out of medium spraying too much air and ruin the finish
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Fiberglass needs special paint. Using anything other than what is required for fiberglass will not work for very long.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5080 posts
1495 upvotes
Kitchener
jf4444 wrote: Order some fiberglass paint / gelcoat online and be done with it.
This is the best product to use, going to cost you $100 but it will last