None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton

stylish summer shoe for guys

I'm looking to buy a pair of (stylish) summer shoes to go with my 4 khaki shorts (tan, gray, pink/red, light green). I'm debating what shoe type to buy; so far my 3 options are below:

1) boat shoes
2) loafers/driving moccasins
3) brogue suede

Is there a shoe type you guys recommend? Also, is there a certain shoe colour that would coordinate well with my short colours above?
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
Becks wrote: brown leather boat shoes (eg. Sperry Topsiders), no socks
Thanks Becks! Do you recommend a specific shade of brown (eg. tan or dark brown)?

I plan to wear the no-show socks to keep the freshness as I am not too big on going sockless.
Dec 19, 2016
215 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would go with either one of these.

1) boat shoes
3) Ranger Mocs.

I would get at least two pair as it's always best to rotate your shoes, and depending on your budget I would highly recommend Rancourt. Although they might not be the stylish shoes, they do look rather nice and they certainly are built rather well and they can be re-soled. Brown should work fine with everything you have mentioned, but if your getting two pair you might want to get another color as well.

[IMG]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... makers.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
dddrees wrote: I would go with either one of these.

1) boat shoes
3) Ranger Mocs.

I would get at least two pair as it's always best to rotate your shoes, and depending on your budget I would highly recommend Rancourt. Although they might not be the stylish shoes, they do look rather nice and they certainly are built rather well and they can be re-soled. Brown should work fine with everything you have mentioned, but if your getting two pair you might want to get another color as well.

Beautiful
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
dddrees wrote: I would go with either one of these.

1) boat shoes
3) Ranger Mocs.

They all look the same
Jun 11, 2015
104 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Loafers photo as the previous post are very elegant , you can also look at other models there are very beautiful models .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7257 posts
9331 upvotes
Scarbs
speedy726 wrote: Thanks Becks! Do you recommend a specific shade of brown (eg. tan or dark brown)?

I plan to wear the no-show socks to keep the freshness as I am not too big on going sockless.
I'd opt for anything between caramel to milk chocolate - leaning more so towards caramel.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Dec 19, 2016
215 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: They all look the same
Very similar indeed, but that's mainly because they are all hand sewn and they're either from Quoddy, Rancourt, or Oakstreet Bootmakers. However I do think the Beefroll Penny Loafers are a bit different than the Boatshoes which in turn are a bit different from the Ranger Mocs.

The OP asked for options with shorts and this tends to be the options I chose from when wearing shorts. Personally I like these type of shoes but having the option of wearing different colors such as either #8 Cordovan, and Green Cordovan, or even Caramel Cordovan, or Blue CXL does tend to add a bit of variety. I didn't include my options or shoes when wearing Jeans, or dress pants, or suits. So yes their is a lot of similarity with regard to my shoe wardrobe when it comes to shorts but I have even more variety for other types of clothes.

Would you like to post yours as well, or would you rather just sit in the back row and heckle everybody else?
Dec 19, 2016
215 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LostInTruth wrote: Beautiful
Thank you.

My choices for shorts due tend to be more casual, but they work for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks all, for the advice and pictures!! I'm starting to like the boat shoe look, it surely looks comfortable! Now bring on the shorts weather!