Sub Topic Forum just for Seniors

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 5:44 pm
[OP]
Apr 4, 2018
46 posts
7 upvotes

Sub Topic Forum just for Seniors

With 16% of Canadians 65 and over, why not have a Sub Topic in the Forums dedicated to Seniors and Senior issues that include:
Senior Deals
Senior issues
Senior Health & Medical
Senior hours
Senior benefits
etc etc
Instead of having to search in each subtopic for senior related posts.
and not just over 65 years of age but older Canadians.
Last edited by UFOcoin on May 11th, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Sep 30, 2001
28476 posts
7640 upvotes
Toronto
This is not an official reply, TomRFD would be best able to respond as only the admins can create forums (etc).

Based on previous suggestions my guess is that a sub-forum would be created only if there was sufficient demand and it made sense from a site operations perspective.
I'm also guessing that when the planned roll out of improved filtering users will be able to select the content they want to see, like perhaps senior related topics.
FS: Marley Wireless Earphones (NEW)

We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
41364 posts
38908 upvotes
Economy
UFOcoin wrote: With 16% of Canadians 65 and over, why not have a Sub Topic in the Forums dedicated to Seniors and Senior issues that include:
Senior Deals
Senior issues
Senior Health & Medical
Senior hours
Senior benefits
etc etc

Instead of having to search in each subtopic for senior related posts.
I like this idea.
Don't take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9228 posts
4509 upvotes
Markham
Might be sub forum in family forum
Aug 20, 2009
8166 posts
3101 upvotes
Grimsby
As MrD mentioned, this is just my opinion. This is one of those things that I think will be much easier with the filtering revamp Tom has mentioned in the past. It's not a bad idea UFOcoin but I think it's something that is unnecessary in the long run, I doubt a subforum would generate enough traffic and the filtering system will help isolate 65+ deals later this year. In terms of other senior discussion I feel like that can be already be represented in the Parenting and Family sub. That said I am not a senior so perhaps I am missing that perspective on this.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14606 posts
27443 upvotes
Scarborough
Redmask wrote: I doubt a subforum would generate enough traffic and the filtering system will help isolate 65+ deals later this year. In terms of other senior discussion I feel like that can be already be represented in the Parenting and Family sub.
I'm fully in support of content geared towards seniors, but like Redmask said, it's not likely that there's enough demand for any seniors sub-topic to warrant being separated out into a new forum. We don't discourage the sharing of any senior related deal, or general discussion topic, but for the most part users here are not seniors and the amount of and interaction within those threads/forums would be minimal when compared to the overall site and possibly even reduce the amount of people seeing it.

That being said, we are working on a new personalization/filtering project for which a "seniors" tag/filter can be created. It should in theory create an easier way for seniors to find deals/threads geared towards them. When we launch it later this year it'll only apply to the deal forums at first, but we're building it keeping all forums in mind so that it can eventually be expanded for use in Home & Garden, Personal Finance, Health & Wellness, or any other forum as well.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9228 posts
4509 upvotes
Markham
But on the other hand, we don't necessarily cover every demographic. Like seniors might not like RFD environment, they might prefer some Forum that are specifically designed for seniors or simply meet in tim Hortons