Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Is Subaru’s eyesight worth the money?

Looking at a crosstrek with their eyesight system but it means I have to get a CVT and there’s mixed feelings about that in general. I don’t know how reliable their cars are but the general consensus is if something is wrong you need to replace the whole unit I.e one costly endeavour not only as a financial matter but time. If it’s my only transportation I really want to get a manual to be safe or traditional automatic.

Problem I’m faced with is the highest trim with a manual is the touring and it’s already pushing $30k. For 2-3000 more I can get the limited which comes with everything including the full suite of eyesight and bells and whistles. The CVT also has an ace in its pocket, xmode. I don’t know how well the manual is with awd in tough situations but xmode seems to be capable of miracles from what I’ve seen on YouTube.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4239 posts
3072 upvotes
Montreal
X-mode is just some software tweak, unless you go look for it in the woods, I don't think you'll ever be in a situation requiring it.

As for ES, if I could've, I would've added it, but my trim was too low to add it back then. I've never heard of anybody need to repair theirs.

Of course another option is just get top trim Impreza instead, it's basically the same thing sans the ground clearance and some plastic cladding, but quite a bit cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
jzmtl wrote: X-mode is just some software tweak, unless you go look for it in the woods, I don't think you'll ever be in a situation requiring it.

As for ES, if I could've, I would've added it, but my trim was too low to add it back then. I've never heard of anybody need to repair theirs.

Of course another option is just get top trim Impreza instead, it's basically the same thing sans the ground clearance and some plastic cladding, but quite a bit cheaper.
I don’t trust the manufacturers literature. They will market something so insignificant as the aforementioned body cladding as tough and road tested to withstand the punishing nature of the wild but that aside, I have seen zero Imprezas lifted or not doing rock climbing or driving in the bush. The Crosstrek must have something done more than say a lifted suspension and that’s what is selling it for me. Isn’t it dimensionally longer than the Impreza by .1 cm as well?

Ive looked at the Impreza pricing and it’s pretty comparable to the crosstrek. All of Subaru’s cars are priced very close. The outback is only a few grand more than a limited crosstrek but you get a lot more. It’s just too big for me.

And have you heard anything about their auto steering LED headlights? Some guy said it needs a Subaru specific bulb.
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
387 upvotes
Montreal
I personally would get Eyesight. It works very well, and I see it as extra insurance that can literally save lives. However, the CVT Subarus are a bit boring to drive, so if driver engagement and fun to drive are important factors for you, then going with Touring wouldn't be a bad move. In any case, test drive the CVT to see if you like it.

I thought non-crossover Subarus don't get X-mode. In any case, the chances of you getting stuck even without it is remote.

If your limited comes with leather and keyless, I would definitely get that. Subarus should be considered reliable. The infotainment system in the latest gen is great.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38194 posts
24382 upvotes
Center of Universe
Subies eyesight system is one of the best in the industry.
Aug 13, 2006
31 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
I was debating the value but you get 10% off or so via ICBC for having AEB and it's good in terms of alerting you to pedestrians or cars behind you when you put it in reverse.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7502 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
Imprezas had good factory rebate for 2019.
The Cross- whatever never has good rebates and so is the Forrester.
I personally find driving a stick more safe and as I am more engaged with the shifting and stuff.
Eye-sight is a good system but it is a tough call picking a bare bone Impreza for cheap cheap (manual without Eyesight) vs more $$$ and CVT with ES.
To each of his/her own I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1189 upvotes
Bought a 2019 Crosstrek last year, Sport trim, CVT, no eyesight. Felt I didn't need any of the Eyesight features for the extra price (though ES is bundled with CVT for 2020s), and I don't drive enough to have to need to use adaptive cruise everyday. Crosstrek has 8.7 inches of ground clearance (3 inch higher vs Impreza), it's pretty noticeable when going on unplowed or potholed streets. The upgraded suspension does make the ride a bit softer, though you feel more drag on the highway due to the taller ride height.

Impreza and Crosstrek have Sport trim in manual if that interests you. IMO the incremental creature comfort features over the Touring are worth the cost premium - larger 8inch infotainment screen, LED cornering headlights, moonroof, power seat. The base halogens are pretty crappy and the Touring's 6 inch infotainment looks cheap.

I've only used x-mode couple of times in the winter (unplowed laneways), didn't really notice much difference. I also have Michelin x-ice winters on. Though like you said, some Youtubers have found it useful in mud/dirt situations and soft offroading.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1189 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I don’t trust the manufacturers literature. They will market something so insignificant as the aforementioned body cladding as tough and road tested to withstand the punishing nature of the wild but that aside, I have seen zero Imprezas lifted or not doing rock climbing or driving in the bush. The Crosstrek must have something done more than say a lifted suspension and that’s what is selling it for me. Isn’t it dimensionally longer than the Impreza by .1 cm as well?

Ive looked at the Impreza pricing and it’s pretty comparable to the crosstrek. All of Subaru’s cars are priced very close. The outback is only a few grand more than a limited crosstrek but you get a lot more. It’s just too big for me.

And have you heard anything about their auto steering LED headlights? Some guy said it needs a Subaru specific bulb.
Comparing same trim level, Crosstrek from last year was about $3k more vs Impreza (MSRP). Size wise, both are pretty much the same as they share the same chassis (maybe Crosstrek is marginally larger due to the plastic cladding on the side/back?).

lol, i hope the LED headlights last for a long time. Given its auto steering functionality, wouldn't be surprised if I need to take it back to Subaru for replacement.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
I have Crosstrek Limited with Eyesight. It is probably the best system out there. it does a lot of things and uses cameras beside the rear view mirrors as opposed to sensors behind the grill. it works in the winter too.
As far as CVT, the Subaru CVT is probably the best out there as well. It actually "feels like it is shifting (you can go manual with paddle shift) as well. It is waaaay better than on the Honda CRV I had and is better than my Sons Toyota.
X Mode is only for use if going below 25km/hr and 20km/hr downhill.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Feb 23rd, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
363 upvotes
The Subaru Eyesight is really good. The safety results of their vehicles equipped with it are obvious. The last time I looked into it there had not been a highway fatality reported in an Eyesight equipped vehicle (that was a couple years ago now).

While I always prefer a manual transmission, the Subaru CVT is well built and has so far been pretty reliable especially compared to other brands. Like mentioned above, there were lots of complaints a few years ago about how it felt driving it, so they programed in slight hesitations to make it sound and feel like it is shifting and customers preferred it. In other words they made it worse to please customers! Subaru has a history of doing this, in 2002 when they brought the WRX to North America it was equipped with a heavy duty clutch which "chuddered" while damp or cold until it warmed up, Subaru changed the clutch to a less performance model and customers were happy.

As for XMode I know it it works well, but for 99% of the time most customer will never use it. We've had two vehicles with it and other than testing it have never felt the need to engage it. I'd much rather have a good set of winter tires included with the vehicle than XMode.
Dec 4, 2003
258 posts
78 upvotes
We have eyesight on our Forester and it's been really great. A couple false warnings but I think it might have already saved my spouse from a (mild) rear-ender.. I'm very glad we have it.
Jan 22, 2017
388 posts
246 upvotes
GTA
I am all for these extra safety systems. They aren't perfect but are helpful.

If considering resale value, I would bet a subaru WITH eyesight is easier to sell.

That being said, you main issue is not eyesight. It's CVT vs manual.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2328 posts
1690 upvotes
GTA
I know someones who recently go a Crosstrek with Eyesight and he likes it. I regret not getting it on my Forester.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38194 posts
24382 upvotes
Center of Universe
papermate2 wrote: I am all for these extra safety systems. They aren't perfect but are helpful.

If considering resale value, I would bet a subaru WITH eyesight is easier to sell.

CVT will be more popular with majority of buyers.
If we're talking about the WRX/STI, manual all day of the week.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
papermate2 wrote: I am all for these extra safety systems. They aren't perfect but are helpful.

My issue or yours?

I love shifting but even the hardest of the hardest die hards must feel tiresome of shifting in some situations. Engineering explained said the manual has something different in VDC system compared to CVT but fundamentally its xmode with your clutch pedal where as xmode is doing it for you. if you try to rock climb in the manual it will burn the clutch over time, allegedly.

The surprising thing I found in the crosstrek is that it’s over 4300lbs and still gets decent gas mileage. No wonder it’s safe, its a Japanese tank like Volvo’s.

Lastly where did you guys buy your Subaru’s? Some dealers are more willing to discount than others I’ve found. Want to get the spdiscount before it’s over.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2977 posts
2410 upvotes
Markham
Supercooled wrote: I love shifting but even the hardest of the hardest die hards must feel tiresome of shifting in some situations.
Nope, never did. Even with my 2004 Impreza with its on-off switch like clutch I never felt tired. Once had to head home, was allowed to leave early but a storm knocked out the power and several traffic lights in the Richmond Hill area, my way home took 2 hours of bumper to bumper traffic meaning, 1st neutral 1st neutral, pretty much the whole way. Did something similar in the FRS, but that was even easier. Never had a cramp in my left leg, but I actually did get one in the right where it was crap pedal placement and a long bumper to bumper drive again, this time stuck downtown. If anything I'm increasingly favouring the manual so much I probably won't ever own automatic ever again because of the hundreds of different models of cars I've driven I've never enjoyed or liked any automatic transmission, at best they were competent but boring at worst they ruin the car.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4239 posts
3072 upvotes
Montreal
Supercooled wrote:
There's no bulb in them, if it breaks you gotta replace the entire assembly. Last I heard they are around $1000 US each.

But this is the case for every manufacturer's LED headlight.
Supercooled wrote:

The surprising thing I found in the crosstrek is that it’s over 4300lbs and still gets decent gas mileage. No wonder it’s safe, its a Japanese tank like Volvo’s.
Something is wrong with your source, they are more like 3300 lbs for the heaviest trim, even the heaviest Forester is only 3700 lbs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2244 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
jzmtl wrote: There's no bulb in them, if it breaks you gotta replace the entire assembly. Last I heard they are around $1000 US each.

But this is the case for every manufacturer's LED headlight.

Something is wrong with your source, they are more like 3300 lbs for the heaviest trim, even the heaviest Forester is only 3700 lbs.
My mistake, I was looking at the gross weight and assumed it is just the car with all it’s fluids intact. Had to look up curb vs gross weight to understand the difference.

About the LED bulb How certain are you on this? I mean if it burns out are you require to visit a dealer just for service? That seems grossly I don’t know, proprietary and inefficient. It’s not like a complicated laser system, ffs.