Automotive

Subaru Forester or Crosstrek for shorter drivers

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2020 2:13 pm
Mar 14, 2018
56 posts
62 upvotes

Subaru Forester or Crosstrek for shorter drivers

So I had a chance to test drive the two before Covid, and thought I'd ride out the lock down but now I'm thinking about getting the new Crosstrek since its available with the 2.5L engine.
The plan was to let my wife also try the two but neither of us really want to sit and touch some demo cars.

Are any of you closer to 5' tall and drive either car?

My wife often finds that if she raises the seat too high, the pedals get farther. She was ok with the position in the RAV4, not sure how the Subies compare. I think the more upright seats in the Forester might be better, but the Crosstrek is more compact all around and she prefers smaller cars. Any thoughts on owning either car in the city? I think the Forester might be more comfortable for everyone, but I wonder how much more annoying it is to park in small spots (even with all the cameras). And with all that interior volume, does it take longer for the cabin to get warm when its -20C outside or cool when its +30C? Most of our drives tend to be on the shorter side so a car that warms up faster would make more sense.
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a 2017 CRV and it was about the size of a Forrester. I now have a Crosstrek because it was smaller. I live in a city and have no problem with it. It has been very hot this summer and the A/C works very well. It heats up fast as well.

I chose the Crosstrek simply because it had all the room and comfort we needed and was the right size. it is easy maneuvering around town and easier to park than the CR-V and Forrester.

As for going on a test drive, I would not be worried at all. The dealers are very cautious and meticulous. As a matter of fact, if there was any time to do test drives in a clean car, it is now LOL
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Jul 23, 2018
901 posts
388 upvotes
IlanaG757921 wrote: So I had a chance to test drive the two before Covid, and thought I'd ride out the lock down but now I'm thinking about getting the new Crosstrek since its available with the 2.5L engine.
The plan was to let my wife also try the two but neither of us really want to sit and touch some demo cars.

Are any of you closer to 5' tall and drive either car?

My wife often finds that if she raises the seat too high, the pedals get farther. She was ok with the position in the RAV4, not sure how the Subies compare. I think the more upright seats in the Forester might be better, but the Crosstrek is more compact all around and she prefers smaller cars. Any thoughts on owning either car in the city? I think the Forester might be more comfortable for everyone, but I wonder how much more annoying it is to park in small spots (even with all the cameras). And with all that interior volume, does it take longer for the cabin to get warm when its -20C outside or cool when its +30C? Most of our drives tend to be on the shorter side so a car that warms up faster would make more sense.
My partner is a similar height. They preferred the Forester in terms of the overall view / window sizes etc. The height of the seat was good in both.
Aug 11, 2004
391 posts
69 upvotes
Have a 2017 Wrx,..Had a 2012 Forester..My son bought the Forester from me.. I miss it, the best vehicle I have ever owned . With snow tires in the winter nothing stops it. Wish they still produced the Forester XT. Great visibility,turning radius and all around vehicle. The wrx is nice but come winter i miss the Forester.
Mar 14, 2018
56 posts
62 upvotes
Pete_Coach: Thanks for the thoughts about parking and the clean demo cars, going in person would definitely help.

OongaLoonga: Thanks, the visibility is definitely nicer in the Forester!

accat13: Yeah, I had seen some 2018 XTs and thought about it. Rumor is the turbo will be back for 2021, but who knows.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
566 upvotes
IlanaG757921 wrote: The plan was to let my wife also try the two but neither of us really want to sit and touch some demo cars.
Wear a mask, and gloves if you want, but do the test drives.
Don't spend tens of thousands of dollars without trying it out a few times first. Make sure its right. You can disinfect your hands afterwards. Have the windows open if you are worried about the air, but do the test drives.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
The Forester is comfortable for people to get in and out of, compared to taller CUVs.... it's at the right height to put your butt in seat first, then swing your legs in. All the Foresters 2009+ are comfortable for tall and short people to drive, the ones 2008 and earlier are tough for short people.

If you're not in a rush to buy a car, just hold out or go ahead for a test drive ... it's not like there's any discounts on the new Crosstrek you're missing out on.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1088 posts
1224 upvotes
Doing test drives are very low stress and enjoyable now. Salesperson cannot go in the car with you due to social distancing. Pretty much show your license and they give you the keys for 30 mins.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)