Tags:
None
22 replies
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
562 posts
267 upvotes
North York
40k a year is not much I think.. I thought Subaru a good brand and can easily go 300K +? Like the Hondas and Toyotas? Or not so much?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1463 posts
721 upvotes
Check to see if this year and engine have the oil consumption problems.

If not, I would NOT be afraid of the mileage.
Feb 8, 2009
109 posts
35 upvotes
The fact it was in Quebec and at an auction doesn't bother me. My current used car was originally from Quebec as well. Personally, I'd look for something under 80k in km. Sure it's a Subaru but pending who owned it, 123k is enough to do some damage if they drove it hard or didn't follow maintenance schedules. Look for a 4 year old car off lease (usually low km) or a 2 year old car that typically has 50-60k ... you get to take advantage of all the depreciation and sometimes still have some warranty left.
[OP]
Apr 13, 2003
562 posts
267 upvotes
North York
mw83krk wrote: The fact it was in Quebec and at an auction doesn't bother me. My current used car was originally from Quebec as well. Personally, I'd look for something under 80k in km. Sure it's a Subaru but pending who owned it, 123k is enough to do some damage if they drove it hard or didn't follow maintenance schedules. Look for a 4 year old car off lease (usually low km) or a 2 year old car that typically has 50-60k ... you get to take advantage of all the depreciation and sometimes still have some warranty left.
Am I right to say that most good off lease cars stay at the dealer and sell as CPO? Would Haldimand not be the place to look for a 4 year old off lease?
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2895 posts
383 upvotes
Riaz wrote: 40k a year is not much I think.. I thought Subaru a good brand and can easily go 300K +? Like the Hondas and Toyotas? Or not so much?
on what planet is that not much
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7260 posts
1311 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Be sure to test drive the Forester.
I was all set on getting one until this past weekend I test drove it. I found the suspension to be pretty stiff and the car pretty bouncy. I found the Crosstrek to be a lot smoother ride. Unfortunately the Crosstrek is a lot smaller car so it didn't work out for me.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Aug 5, 2003
347 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
I found the same thing. Did you try the Outback? Smoother ride, and the V6 is really nice.
SpectralMeat wrote: Be sure to test drive the Forester.
I was all set on getting one until this past weekend I test drove it. I found the suspension to be pretty stiff and the car pretty bouncy. I found the Crosstrek to be a lot smoother ride. Unfortunately the Crosstrek is a lot smaller car so it didn't work out for me.
Here's my HEAT.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7260 posts
1311 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
3-putt wrote: I found the same thing. Did you try the Outback? Smoother ride, and the V6 is really nice.
No that was out of my price range.
Mar 1, 2011
436 posts
102 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Riaz wrote: Am I right to say that most good off lease cars stay at the dealer and sell as CPO? Would Haldimand not be the place to look for a 4 year old off lease?
The OEM dealers get first Crack at their own brand of cars at the Auctions. For example there will be Ford days, GM days, Chrysler days etc. Then whatever is left over goes up for grabs to independent dealers on another time. That's why most OEM dealers have nicer cleaner cars with lower mileage.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27792 posts
12858 upvotes
Toronto
when brand new back in 2013, it went for $30,000 and now selling at about 53% of orig msrp. For this kind of mileage and unknown history of repairs, it is equivalent of a 6.5 yrs old car. Therefore the current asking price is way, way over what I think it's being a fair price. If you cannot negotiate the asking price down, then you may want to rethink.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2847 posts
1154 upvotes
GTA
The price is decent, but I would stay away from Subaru if you want to get 300k.
Also, in general, Montreal cars get a bad rap for being repair in accidents due to poorer reporting in Quebec.... but most accidents that are noteworthy would be noticeable to a trained eye (sometimes untrained too).
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: I was all set on getting one until this past weekend I test drove it. I found the suspension to be pretty stiff and the car pretty bouncy.
Was it a new one? If so, did they set the tire pressures properly?

I've seen a number of people complain about lousy ride in their new Forester, then discover the tires were pumped up to around 50psi, as they came from the factory. When we test-drove a Forester XT that hadn't been driven before, the sales lady was pretty adamant about getting the tire pressure reset before we drove it, probably for that reason.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7260 posts
1311 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
movieman wrote: Was it a new one? If so, did they set the tire pressures properly?

I've seen a number of people complain about lousy ride in their new Forester, then discover the tires were pumped up to around 50psi, as they came from the factory. When we test-drove a Forester XT that hadn't been driven before, the sales lady was pretty adamant about getting the tire pressure reset before we drove it, probably for that reason.
I didn't check the tire pressure. It was a brand new one at the dealership, Conv. pkg
I didn't want to try the XT, I am not a big fan of the premium gas requirement for the Turbo engine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)