Automotive

Subaru Remote Start via the MySubaru App?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 4:03 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 26, 2011
348 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa

Subaru Remote Start via the MySubaru App?

Hi there:
Just purchased a 2019 Forester Sport. Dealer told me remote start is available on the MySubaru app. But, apparently it's not available in Canada? Is my only option paying for the second FOB?

Anyone with info on this? I believe remote start in Canada = no brainer.

Cheers,
SJ
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16193 posts
4693 upvotes
Markham
if Dealer told you it has it and end up not having it
I would go back to dealer and ask for the missing remote starter!!
Last edited by Keigotw on Aug 15th, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
16193 posts
4693 upvotes
Markham
Looks like is coming in 2020 'SUBARU STARLINK® Connected Services" / for 2020 Legacy and outback
https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebS ... geID=22828
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 15, 2014
1015 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Keigotw wrote: if Dealer told you it has it and end up not having it
I would go back to dealer and ask for the missing starter!!
GL with that lol
Please respond
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1116 posts
1137 upvotes
Calgary
Keigotw wrote: if Dealer told you it has it and end up not having it
I would go back to dealer and ask for the missing remote starter!!
Doesn't hurt to ask, but if it's not included on delivery you can be sure it's coming out of your pocket instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35737 posts
21827 upvotes
Center of Universe
Did you add the optional remote start?
[OP]
Member
Dec 26, 2011
348 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
No, as I was told I could use the in-App remote start (subscription based MySubaru).

The optional remote start comes with a second key fob devoted to just the starting of the vehicle. I’d like to avoid that. But if this App (which is active in the USA for all new Subaru) is not available in Canada, I may have to get the regular remote start.

The app allows you to adjust the temperature, the heated seats, shows status of the car etc. Quite integrated. If it were only currently available in Canada.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9335 upvotes
Toronto
shanjam wrote: No, as I was told I could use the in-App remote start (subscription based MySubaru).

The optional remote start comes with a second key fob devoted to just the starting of the vehicle. I’d like to avoid that. But if this App (which is active in the USA for all new Subaru) is not available in Canada, I may have to get the regular remote start.

The app allows you to adjust the temperature, the heated seats, shows status of the car etc. Quite integrated. If it were only currently available in Canada.
Can't tell you what you already know, the subaru app is trash and SUS get way more perks that SCA
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Member
Dec 26, 2011
348 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
Decided to contact Subaru Canada.

They apparently had to deal with cell providers etc and delayed the MySubaru App connectivity in Canada. It rolls out in Canada in September.

You'd think Subaru, who markets themselves with winter in mind, would have an integrated remote start on the same FOB.

I'll take my chances with the APP first.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1808 posts
903 upvotes
Alberta
shanjam wrote: Decided to contact Subaru Canada.

They apparently had to deal with cell providers etc and delayed the MySubaru App connectivity in Canada. It rolls out in Canada in September.

You'd think Subaru, who markets themselves with winter in mind, would have an integrated remote start on the same FOB.

I'll take my chances with the APP first.
Are you sure it isn't available in the fob with some special key combo? I got the 2018 Crosstrek with the remote start, and yes it does have a dedicated 2-way remote start, but you can also use your normal keyfob to start it, thought the distance is not as great.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35737 posts
21827 upvotes
Center of Universe
shanjam wrote: No, as I was told I could use the in-App remote start (subscription based MySubaru).

The optional remote start comes with a second key fob devoted to just the starting of the vehicle. I’d like to avoid that. But if this App (which is active in the USA for all new Subaru) is not available in Canada, I may have to get the regular remote start.

The app allows you to adjust the temperature, the heated seats, shows status of the car etc. Quite integrated. If it were only currently available in Canada.
eblend wrote: Are you sure it isn't available in the fob with some special key combo? I got the 2018 Crosstrek with the remote start, and yes it does have a dedicated 2-way remote start, but you can also use your normal keyfob to start it, thought the distance is not as great.
Remote start is standard on Subarus?
So the optional remote start, is just to install a long range module with extra keyfob?
[OP]
Member
Dec 26, 2011
348 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
No, not standard.

Getting the Remote Start Package ($500+) will also turn your first FOB into a short range, while adding the long range of the separate FOB.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6753 posts
5515 upvotes
shanjam wrote: You'd think Subaru, who markets themselves with winter in mind, would have an integrated remote start on the same FOB.
I parked in a heat garage both at home and at work. A remote starter would be pointless for me unless it's free. And I can counted with one hand in any given year that I wish to have a remote starter.

Plus it's not good for environment or your car.
[OP]
Member
Dec 26, 2011
348 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtrema wrote: I parked in a heat garage both at home and at work. A remote starter would be pointless for me unless it's free. And I can counted with one hand in any given year that I wish to have a remote starter.

Plus it's not good for environment or your car.
Uh, I think I'll go with the remote start instead of building a heated garage.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35737 posts
21827 upvotes
Center of Universe
shanjam wrote: No, not standard.

Getting the Remote Start Package ($500+) will also turn your first FOB into a short range, while adding the long range of the separate FOB.
Ok, that makes sense.
Don't understand why the sales person even bother mentioning it, considering you haven't even installed the module yet.
Member
Dec 13, 2009
355 posts
170 upvotes
I'm pretty pissed about this... Even Honda has it built in and I was told my car would get remote start when it came to Canada (2019 Forrester).
Newbie
Jan 11, 2012
3 posts
MONTRÉAL
Sorry to bring back this old post. Something my dealer told me about the My Subaru app when I got my 2020 Outback worries me. He mentioned a 3 year subscription was part of my 4 year rental agreement. After that, a $30/month fee was to be expected... Anyone else?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2019
587 posts
444 upvotes
Elcomico wrote: Sorry to bring back this old post. Something my dealer told me about the My Subaru app when I got my 2020 Outback worries me. He mentioned a 3 year subscription was part of my 4 year rental agreement. After that, a $30/month fee was to be expected... Anyone else?
The MySubaru App is a subscription service. If you want to continue to use the app after the complimentary free trial with your vehicle purchase, you will need to pay for it. Unless your dealer sneaked something into your contact saying you need to pay for it after the free trial is over.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2413 posts
1857 upvotes
Elcomico wrote: Sorry to bring back this old post. Something my dealer told me about the My Subaru app when I got my 2020 Outback worries me. He mentioned a 3 year subscription was part of my 4 year rental agreement. After that, a $30/month fee was to be expected... Anyone else?
$30 a month! WTF! Jesus tap dancing christ that's highway robbery...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6753 posts
5515 upvotes
LoANeal wrote: $30 a month! WTF! Jesus tap dancing christ that's highway robbery...
If it comes with unlimited 4G hotspot access, then it's decent but I doubt it tho.

BTW, everybody is charging when you have a connected system.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-hi ... otainment/

And most of the cost is probably connecting to the 4G network.
Last edited by Xtrema on Feb 18th, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top