Automotive

Which Subcompact SUV's offer the largest cargo volumes with the rear seats up?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 9:35 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
53426 posts
18339 upvotes

Which Subcompact SUV's offer the largest cargo volumes with the rear seats up?

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... uvs-cargo/

1. Honda HR-V
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 22 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 58 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 23 cu ft

5. Nissan Kicks (tie)
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 19 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 53 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 25 cu ft

7. Kia Soul (tie)
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 18 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 61 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 24 cu ft


The 2019 Audi Q3 seems to offer 23.7 cu ft which is pretty impressive, although it does start at $38,900 since it's an entry-level luxury CUV.
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/362740/2 ... rst-drive/
https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/q3/specs


Any other CUV's or hatchbacks that offer 24 cu ft or more room besides the above, the Honda Fit, and Subaru Crosstrek?
https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/7-roo ... cars-suvs/

Thank you.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1198 posts
975 upvotes
Oh how I wish Honda would take that Civic turbo engine and stick it into HRV and Fit. Or Subaru take the WRX engine and jam it into Crosstrek.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
53426 posts
18339 upvotes
Has Honda fixed the 1.5T issue for the 2019 MY? Maybe that's why it's holding back on using the same engine on the HRV and Fit.

The upcoming Audi Q4 e-tron (2021) is beginning to look more interesting now that I know these subcompact CUV's have really small cargo storage (with rear seats up), especially compared to our 16RAV4H (35.6 cu. ft.) and I already thought how small that was lol.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
53426 posts
18339 upvotes
AlicW93740: it's a compact SUV more so than a subcompact...

^ Thanks. I pointed at a previous gen to my wife on the 403 yesterday and she thought it looked small. Good to know it's not really that small. No wonder the MPG is so bad haha.

That Lexus UX has 19 cu. ft. so I might as well get a sedan and boost its height with air suspension lol.


Update:

Post was removed. The Q3 does seems like a subcompact CUV:
https://www.edmunds.com/audi/q3/2019/
Last edited by alanbrenton on Aug 12th, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2093 posts
2004 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hindenburg1 wrote: Oh how I wish Honda would take that Civic turbo engine and stick it into HRV and Fit. Or Subaru take the WRX engine and jam it into Crosstrek.
Get in line behind the people waiting for an STI refresh Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5650 posts
2199 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
It's 6 inches longer then HRV... Sportage has like 30 cu ft behind 2nd row and nice peppy engine.

That is same or just bit less then CX-5 and Murano in smaller vehicle.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5397 posts
4063 upvotes
It's not just size of volume but how that volume is configured. Only HRV can carry a 4' tall plant with magic seat folded up.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 8, 2009
3706 posts
2228 upvotes
Ontario
If you are that concerned about cargo volume then surely look at a compact SUV and not a subcompact SUV (although neither are truly SUVs).
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24256 posts
2996 upvotes
Montreal
They are all pretty atrocious compared to the CUV class. But cx-3 is a joke.

Honorable mention for the Niro which get 19 with battery and a spare stuffed in there.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2987 posts
1846 upvotes
Montreal
Hindenburg1 wrote: Oh how I wish Honda would take that Civic turbo engine and stick it into HRV and Fit. Or Subaru take the WRX engine and jam it into Crosstrek.
On the last gen Crosstrek they said it wouldn't fit, the current gen isn't any bigger so probably the same problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9033 posts
1289 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote: Oh how I wish Honda would take that Civic turbo engine and stick it into HRV and Fit. Or Subaru take the WRX engine and jam it into Crosstrek.
Or you can Jack up a WRX yourself. A cross trek is just a jacked up Impreza.
Member
Aug 17, 2006
273 posts
224 upvotes
Coquitlam BC
alanbrenton wrote: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... uvs-cargo/

1. Honda HR-V
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 22 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 58 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 23 cu ft

5. Nissan Kicks (tie)
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 19 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 53 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 25 cu ft

7. Kia Soul (tie)
Carry-on capacity, rear seats folded: 18 suitcases
Cargo volume, rear seats folded: 61 cu ft
Cargo volume, behind rearmost row of seats: 24 cu ft


The 2019 Audi Q3 seems to offer 23.7 cu ft which is pretty impressive, although it does start at $38,900 since it's an entry-level luxury CUV.
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/362740/2 ... rst-drive/
https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/q3/specs


Any other CUV's or hatchbacks that offer 24 cu ft or more room besides the above, the Honda Fit, and Subaru Crosstrek?
https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/7-roo ... cars-suvs/

Thank you.
Think you got it covered but other oddball suggestion is to take a look at the VW Sportswagen or Alltrack. Final year before taken off the market but available with AWD but not really an SUV but wagon. Should be available with good discounts.

Another suggestion is to look at one class up but lower trim. The CRV LX should be the biggest. But others are close. Depends on your budget.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 11, 2004
9654 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
just get a trailer hitch at u hual, and pull a trailer, plenty of cargo space.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24256 posts
2996 upvotes
Montreal
jammin825 wrote: Think you got it covered but other oddball suggestion is to take a look at the VW Sportswagen or Alltrack. Final year before taken off the market but available with AWD but not really an SUV but wagon. Should be available with good discounts.

Another suggestion is to look at one class up but lower trim. The CRV LX should be the biggest. But others are close. Depends on your budget.
The SportWagen and Alltrack have huge trunks compared to these cars, and handily beat many compact CUVs.

But I agree, even a base model Tuscon would be more useful for storage.

Top