Sublet Tenant Laws

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 8:57 am
[OP]
May 14, 2019
1 posts

Sublet Tenant Laws

Here is a rundown of my situation:

I have a sublet, the full year is passed and we are now on month to month. I have a lease agreement with her that she is under the same lease agreement I am under with my direct landlord (requires 60 days notice). She does not have a direct relationship with the landlord and deals strictly with me. I gave our 60 days on May 1st (I move out July 1st), and she has not yet given me rent for May or notice of vacating.. and I believe she will attempt to use May as her last month and avoid paying me rent for June and or leave on June 1st to avoid a month of rent. Is this illegal? She is ignoring messages and like I said, is technically avoiding rent. Can I handle this afterwards in court, what are my rights? I believe since she did not give notice she would have to be there until the beginning of July with us as she hasn't given any notice of vacating at all. I feel I will be cheated out of a month of rent.

Thank you,
2 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8153 upvotes
Edmonton
You don’t give a location, so giving meaningful input is impossible. Aside from the usual “check with your local LTB”.

C