Computers & Electronics

Subscribed to Apple One - How exactly can the family share all their photos in one central spot without reducing quality

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 8:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes

Subscribed to Apple One - How exactly can the family share all their photos in one central spot without reducing quality

So so confused on this, I just want a central location we all have access to in order to have a central repository of photos / videos / documents that is backed up and viewable by all in the family and is backed up forever.

The only thing I enabled was a cloud backup on my phone and I see my photos are backed up when I log in to iCloud through a browser, which kind of sucks since I was hoping there would be an app to view these backups?

And last question, I’ve got a NAS with like 1TB of photos, how do I get this on the iCloud storage so that it is also shared with all in one central repository?
3 replies
Sep 20, 2013
40 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton
I have my own photos on my phone and other devices, my wife has hers. In Photos (on iCloud) we have a shared folder called Family (she’s added to it via her Apple account). Whatever is added to that folder is available on any device and whoever is added to the folder can access them via Photos. In Photos you can export in original quality. Videos can be added there as well. Documents have to be added to Files and share it the same way as a family folder. Unfortunately photos aren’t available via Files which is dumb but Photos live in their own Library anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes
GhettoDefendant wrote: I have my own photos on my phone and other devices, my wife has hers. In Photos (on iCloud) we have a shared folder called Family (she’s added to it via her Apple account). Whatever is added to that folder is available on any device and whoever is added to the folder can access them via Photos. In Photos you can export in original quality. Videos can be added there as well. Documents have to be added to Files and share it the same way as a family folder. Unfortunately photos aren’t available via Files which is dumb but Photos live in their own Library anyways.
It seems like a nightmare to manage. I add all my photos to a shared folder but there is no way to tell from your all photos view on which photos/videos have been placed in folders and which have not.

I don’t see a way to add sub folders, like you might name a folder the name of your kid and then have sub folders with years or specific events.

How do I get all the photos and videos I have on a physical backup drive all uploaded to iCloud and once in iCloud do they know become visible on my phone?