Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3115 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga

Subway not honouring coupons?

Yesterday, we received coupons for Subway in the mail but when we went in to buy a sub today, the store that's literally beside our house wouldn't honour it. What's up with that? Why would they even send us coupons, if we can't use them?
47 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3610 posts
3783 upvotes
GTA
The coupons will say 'at participating locations'. Looks like the location near you isn't one of them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3115 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga
tew wrote: The coupons will say 'at participating locations'. Looks like the location near you isn't one of them.
I hate this so much.

There's literally a store right beside me and I can't use it. What am I supposed to do, track down every Subway in the GTA and see if they'll take it?

If Subway wants to start a promotion, then it should be honoured at every location, like what McDonald's does at every one of their stores. They shouldn't even be sending out coupons, if they know they can't be used at the stores nearest to me.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3610 posts
3783 upvotes
GTA
input wrote: I hate this so much.

There's literally a store right beside me and I can't use it. What am I supposed to do, track down every Subway in the GTA and see if they'll take it?

If Subway wants to start a promotion, then it should be honoured at every location, like what McDonald's does at every one of their stores. They shouldn't even be sending out coupons, if they know they can't be used at the stores nearest to me.
The new McDonald's coupons say the same thing on the back, 'only at participating locations'. I've never run into a McDonald's that didn't accept them though.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15332 posts
29083 upvotes
Scarborough
tew wrote: I've never run into a McDonald's that didn't accept them though.
Same here. I can understand special locations like those in stadiums/arenas not accepting coupons but it's annoying finding out a regular location won't accept a coupon.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17793 posts
15246 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TomRFD wrote: Same here. I can understand special locations like those in stadiums/arenas not accepting coupons but it's annoying finding out a regular location won't accept a coupon.
Yup

And it happens waaaay too often

IMO if a guy owns a Franchise of a chain … then he should be OBLIGATED / REQUIRED to accept / participate in whatever promos the chain is running. Period

This OPTING OUT Crap is BS
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
This reminds me of Quiznos years ago. The store that was next to me used to take coupons but ask you to show the coupon FIRST and then they would proceed to put less toppings and meat on the sandwich.

The next time I gave them the coupon AFTER they prepared the sandwich and was saying that they put extra meat and toppings and added a few $$ on the bill. I told them that I never said extra anything. In the end, I took back my coupon and walked out and let them worry about that sandwich they prepared. I never returned to that location again and did notice that the store was quite empty most of the time when I was in the plaza going to other shops. I was not surprised to see that the location shut down a few months later due to lack of business.

I have no problem supporting businesses and understand that costs have increased. Where I take exception is when they try shenanigan's like this and then complain of slow sales and customer issues.
Last edited by hightech on Sep 13th, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
3115 posts
776 upvotes
Mississauga
I feel like Subway is running one giant scam. They can send out as many coupons as they want but as long as they put down "only accepted at participating locations", then they have absolutely no obligation to honour it. I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a law that protects consumers from acts like this because this honestly feels like false advertising to me.

The weird thing about this whole thing is that I received coupons from Subway before and I was able to use them at the same location that I went to.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4143 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
Complain to their corporate office and see what they say. Normally the “participating location” is just legal protection. I never heard of printed coupons not being accepted by franchises (until now). Of course subway has been trending in the wrong direction for years so it wouldn’t be shocking if they break the trend. From 11” foot long to yoga mat bread to fake chicken, they have had quite a few conspiracy in the last few years...
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15538 posts
3845 upvotes
Toronto
Subway used to give receipts with info on the back of the receipt that you complete the survey and can get a free cookie. They got rid of that years ago as well.

It's hard to have sympathy for retailers when they go about issuing coupons that you can't use, short changing you on quantity, and then increasing prices for the same items (albeit with less meat).

I even noticed that the scoop that they use has gotten shallower so it holds less product and they even fill that less.

I'm old enough to remember this commercial when it came out. It was applicable back in 1984 and is still valid now:

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5894 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, Subway is notorious for having many franchises not participating in promotions. I remember it being hard to find the locations that did the $5 sub or sub of the day promotions.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6821 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
Subway treats their fanchisees like crap so it wouldn’t surprise me if more places than usual choose not to honour coupons.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19287 posts
7441 upvotes
Toronto
Once people woke up and understood that Subway is not healthy at all, the party was over.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4309 posts
2207 upvotes
When I heard Subway's tuna subs didn't contain any actual tuna I just shook my head.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17793 posts
15246 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pootza wrote: When I heard Subway's tuna subs didn't contain any actual tuna I just shook my head.
Lol, that’s cuz they contained chicken … chicken of the sea !

Oh wait it’s Subway

This joke doesn’t fly … cuz of their FAKE Chicken Case

Poor Subway … cannot catch a break ever since they found out their star Jared was a fraud (and then some)
Aug 14, 2021
36 posts
46 upvotes
Just got my 2 lousy crispy chicken sidekick sandwiches for 5 dollars with coupon with no problem. :\ Feel sorry for you OP.
Nov 28, 2019
603 posts
279 upvotes
input wrote: Yesterday, we received coupons for Subway in the mail but when we went in to buy a sub today, the store that's literally beside our house wouldn't honour it. What's up with that? Why would they even send us coupons, if we can't use them?
did you ask before hand about coupons or did you end up paying full price?

I also wonder if it comes down to some employees too. Some think they own the business...I do always the survey on the receipt for churches chicken and so does most of my family. A family member went to Store A and then filled out the survey and got the code and then went later on to ​Store B and was refused and told it only is good at Store A.

Nothing on receipt or survey said it is only valid at original store and I never been once told I could not use it at a different locations (I done it many time), yet you had this one employee who thinks they own the business trying to save the company 1 chicken peice....instead now just lost a customer for life as I rather just go to the other locations that do not give me hassle.

Same thing with No Frills, first I think they really cut back on deals but they also are so bad with coupons that it has turned me off from shopping there.

I use to go weekly and do shopping at No Frills but now since almost every time they given me trouble with taking coupons (even a coupon that was issued by No Frills) I maybe go once every month or 2 when they have some sale on Chicken Breasts or something which is harder to price match against.

The rest I just pricematch at my local superstore (which usually already has it lowered so I don't even have to price match as they did it already)