• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2020 7:59 pm
59 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11092 posts
2166 upvotes
Toronto
Their food, like alot of fast food is complete trash.

Reading that they're in trouble shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Over the last couple years at least 4 near me have closed and I'm seeing less and less of them now.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16632 posts
13956 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Several other threads in this Forum on Subway...
Including their legal issues in this one (Canada & Ireland )
Subway vs CBC = subway-vs-cbc-marketplace-lawsuit-thrown-out-2331452/

This tho is the first I have read saying they are having financial issues
But, show me a restaurant that isn’t during this pandemic

All the same, we still grab sandwiches from there a few times a year for a quick lunch
Makes a good stop when travelling
Vs other icky US based fast food options

I eat a subway sandwich on a road trip I feel fine
I eat a a greasy burger ... and I feel awful
Just a rock burger in my stomach rest of the day
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13215 posts
2446 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'll go there if I have a 2-for-1 coupon.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6445 posts
3463 upvotes
Mississauga
Unlike other food places, Subway never put territory restrictions on their franchisees. That means you’ll see three Subways for every one McDonald’s (for example). Talk about diluting your customer base!

And I still prefer Mr. Sub.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1940 posts
558 upvotes
While I appreciate that the employees at Subway wear gloves when they prepare your food, it would be nice if they actually changed their gloves after handling money, cleaning the counters, handling more food, scratching their head, tying their shoelaces, etc. They shouldn't be using the same pair of gloves for their full shift, which is what they appear to do at just about every Subway I’ve ever been to, lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3274 posts
2623 upvotes
Toronto
blakjak wrote: While I appreciate that the employees at Subway wear gloves when they prepare your food, it would be nice if they actually changed their gloves after handling money, cleaning the counters, handling more food, scratching their head, tying their shoelaces, etc. They shouldn't be using the same pair of gloves for their full shift, which is what they appear to do at just about every Subway I’ve ever been to, lol.
That is exactly why wearing gloves is not a good thing.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3987 posts
2831 upvotes
Vancouver
blakjak wrote: While I appreciate that the employees at Subway wear gloves when they prepare your food, it would be nice if they actually changed their gloves after handling money, cleaning the counters, handling more food, scratching their head, tying their shoelaces, etc. They shouldn't be using the same pair of gloves for their full shift, which is what they appear to do at just about every Subway I’ve ever been to, lol.
That’s pretty weird. Every Subway I’ve been to for the past decade or two has a box of gloves at the start of the assembly line. The worker puts on a fresh pair when they take your order. Disposes the gloves after taking money.

If it’s busy hour, then the store usually 3 or 4 stationary workers: 1 cutting the bread and applying cheese, 1-2 adding veggies, and 1 dedicated cashier.

The only concern I have sometimes is with Indian workers and how they wear bangles on their wrist. Those are pretty loose and touch the sandwich.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5408 posts
3158 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Their food, like alot of fast food is complete trash.

Reading that they're in trouble shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. Over the last couple years at least 4 near me have closed and I'm seeing less and less of them now.
Wouldn't this be highly dependent on what you ordered, and what you put on it?
The illusion of healthy eating, similar to high caloric fast food salads.
I think the decline is less due to health concerns, and more based on fewer promotions and higher prices.
The shrinking foot-long is on par with how many food companies have shrunk size in lieu of raising prices.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
Just one visit to Firehouse Subs and you'll wonder why you ever wasted time or money at Subway.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Unlike other food places, Subway never put territory restrictions on their franchisees. That means you’ll see three Subways for every one McDonald’s (for example). Talk about diluting your customer base!

That and the franchisees are cheapskates that get away with skimping out on ingredients. It's as if there's no enforcement of company standards. You don't see this at other chains (imagine if franchise McDonald's got away with using 1 patty in the Big Macs, while corporate-owned locations properly use 2....). Why I like going to Firehouse, the cheapskates that own Subway franchises would never be given Firehouse franchises...

Subway not over oversaturated the market, they let the wrong people have franchises and those cheapskates irreparably trashed their brand. The $5 footlong promo didn't help - that ran for way too long and that jingle is an earworm... so now when they're trying to charge $9 a footlong it feels like a ripoff. (for $12 I can get a footlong at Firehouse that has twice as much meat and veg in it...)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19324 posts
27940 upvotes
ONTARIO
They've been in decline for years now.

Subway used to be my go-to for years for a fast food sub. They were easily better than Mr. Sub a decade ago (in my opinion). However I've noticed over the past so many years the quality has been declining like crazy. Numerous times they'd put the bare minimum of ingredients on my sub and more than a few times the bun would be near stale.

Last year I finally gave up on them and tried Mr. Sub again after not having them for a decade. Waaaay better than I remember them being. They really upped their sub game compared to Subway's decline.
Always fresh buns and when I ask for my sandwich to be loaded with basically every single veggie they have, they don't cheap out and actually load it up.

Now I only go to Mr. Sub and I wouldn't care if Subway disappeared.
Jul 28, 2017
235 posts
650 upvotes
Do yourselves a favour and pay a few extra bucks and go to firehouse subs.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1945 posts
1159 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Spinner wrote: That’s pretty weird. Every Subway I’ve been to for the past decade or two has a box of gloves at the start of the assembly line. The worker puts on a fresh pair when they take your order. Disposes the gloves after taking money.

If it’s busy hour, then the store usually 3 or 4 stationary workers: 1 cutting the bread and applying cheese, 1-2 adding veggies, and 1 dedicated cashier.

The only concern I have sometimes is with Indian workers and how they wear bangles on their wrist. Those are pretty loose and touch the sandwich.
Some are better than others. Same with the amount of toppings. Gee, that lettuce you put on cost you 1 cent. You can put on another penny's worth.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5855 posts
2393 upvotes
Debtario
I liked their sweet chicken teriyaki on toasted Italian herbs and cheese bun, but quality has gone down and prices have gone up.

Their meat is soggy, portions are small, and the toppings are sparsely applied too. Bye Subway!

Also, the lawsuit between subway and the CBC was tossed out, BUT subway was awarded a $222,000 judgement against Trent University!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4348 upvotes
Retrodude wrote: Do yourselves a favour and pay a few extra bucks and go to firehouse subs.
No kidding! Subway footlongs are pushing $9 now. At Firehouse you'll pay $12 but the sandwich will weigh twice as much and taste twice as good. And the guys behind the counter aren't the usual cheapskates (the ones I've been to seem to be staffed by Italians and Greeks).

Bring back $5 footlongs (and not "buy 1 get 1"... I mean walk in and buy any 1 sub off the menu for $5) and maybe I'll return.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5845 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote: They've been in decline for years now.
This. Even in RFD food forum they've been trashed for years for franchisees nickel and diming and having poor ingredient quality.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5610 posts
4860 upvotes
Edmonton
I always laughed how people thought subway was healthy. It's worse than McDonald's. There is nothing healthy about it at all. The vegetables are all garbage C grade crap that are old. Last time I got a decent tomato at Subway was 10 years ago. They purposely buy the junk tomatoes to cut costs. A footlong meatball sub has more than twice as many calories as a big mac. Yet the media spun the "healthy" garbage for so long. This publicity is bad for Subway because no one will want to be seen with a subway bag anymore. It used to be if you walked into your workplace with a subway bag your co-workers would go "Oh wow, someone is eating healthy!". Now they will say "Gross. You know that's not real bread right?? How can you eat that stuff". So now people will move on to other "perceived" healthy alternatives like Fresh-ii or whatever makes their co-workers think they eat healthy. It's true most health purchases are done to impress other people. You rarely see people posing for instagram photos with mcdonalds.