Subwoofer recommendations

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 11:41 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15085 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious as to which receiver you are using. I'm using an anthem 510.

Yup, love those explosions. Just watched Dunkirk 4k again and the sound was excellent. Nothing beats lossless audio!
Last edited by audit13 on Jun 15th, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 30, 2017
192 posts
133 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Sub frequencies are usually a lot more forgiving to speaker placement than full range drivers.

I set up my home theater and although I don't crank it, even the slightest bit of rumble or "enhanced" movie scene content realism elicits comments from my spouse - "does it have to be so loud??!! Can't we just have the sound that comes out of the TV?"

Comments like that remind me that, despite being a great wife, on somethings we just live in alternate universes.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
76 posts
150 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
audit13 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:31 pm
I'm curious as to which receiver you are using. I'm using an anthem 510.

Yup, love those explosions. Just watched Dunkirk 4k again and the sound was excellent. Nothing beats lossless audio!
I have a Denon avr-1713. A 5.1 receiver.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
76 posts
150 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
dookiemoore wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:53 pm
Sub frequencies are usually a lot more forgiving to speaker placement than full range drivers.

I set up my home theater and although I don't crank it, even the slightest bit of rumble or "enhanced" movie scene content realism elicits comments from my spouse - "does it have to be so loud??!! Can't we just have the sound that comes out of the TV?"

Comments like that remind me that, despite being a great wife, on somethings we just live in alternate universes.
You should have seen the expression my wife had when she first saw my new sub. Priceless. Of course I probably had the look of “how I was going to explain this” when I took it out of the box.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15085 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
morestoneplz wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:10 pm
I have a Denon avr-1713. A 5.1 receiver.
Don't know if this still applies but I remember using Audyssey XT with a previous receiver. After completing the Audyssey calibration, I would have to go back into the settings and change all speakers to small.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
76 posts
150 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
audit13 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:30 pm
Don't know if this still applies but I remember using Audyssey XT with a previous receiver. After completing the Audyssey calibration, I would have to go back into the settings and change all speakers to small.
Yea I made sure they were set to small. With my smaller sub I had to change it but with the svs it’s set them to small. I’m actually using kef 100’s as fronts as I was going to use then as surrounds but I enjoyed them so much with music I kept them upfront. They’re actually doing very well. Especially with the svs handling the low end.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15085 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
morestoneplz wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 3:10 pm
Yea I made sure they were set to small. With my smaller sub I had to change it but with the svs it’s set them to small. I’m actually using kef 100’s as fronts as I was going to use then as surrounds but I enjoyed them so much with music I kept them upfront. They’re actually doing very well. Especially with the svs handling the low end.
I think the svs will sound a bit better once it's had some time to loosen up the woofer.

Just finished watching the new Tomb Raider 4k and the boat crash scene has some really deep bass.

Glad you are happy with your purchase.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11984 posts
2855 upvotes
Ottawa
morestoneplz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 8:48 pm
Have you ever done the crawl? Should be interesting putting the 65 lbs sub on the couch. I’m pretty limited to the places I can put the sub since it’s so big. If you have any tips?
you don't want to put it ON the couch, just where the couch is.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2222 posts
551 upvotes
Windsor
I haven't seen anyone mention it, and I know you've already purchased a new sub, but that Klipsch amplifier is probably AOK; breaking a solid state amplifier for any quality brand is pretty unlikely (input connectors maybe, but not the important stuff), but melting some voice coils so the driver is running at a lower impedance is much higher.

Just saying, don't pitch that sub; for a few bucks, you can throw basically any driver in there, and you could have a functioning sub again. Don't worry about getting the Klipsch driver to replace it; if you're not trying to have two identical subs, it doesn't really matter much, as long as the driver is similar looking as the original.

Otherwise, you could potentially just shuck the amp and use it on a project, when the new one you bought "just isn't quite loud enough".
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
76 posts
150 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
audit13 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 5:23 pm
I think the svs will sound a bit better once it's had some time to loosen up the woofer.

Just finished watching the new Tomb Raider 4k and the boat crash scene has some really deep bass.

Glad you are happy with your purchase.
Thank you. Yea very happy. Finished edge of tomorrow. Some deep base in that movie as well. 4K must be awesome.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2015
76 posts
150 upvotes
Corbeil,ON
ChubChub wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 7:51 pm
I haven't seen anyone mention it, and I know you've already purchased a new sub, but that Klipsch amplifier is probably AOK; breaking a solid state amplifier for any quality brand is pretty unlikely (input connectors maybe, but not the important stuff), but melting some voice coils so the driver is running at a lower impedance is much higher.

Just saying, don't pitch that sub; for a few bucks, you can throw basically any driver in there, and you could have a functioning sub again. Don't worry about getting the Klipsch driver to replace it; if you're not trying to have two identical subs, it doesn't really matter much, as long as the driver is similar looking as the original.

Otherwise, you could potentially just shuck the amp and use it on a project, when the new one you bought "just isn't quite loud enough".
Thank you. That’s good to know. I’ll have a better look at it. I was using a cheap rca cable with it but upgraded the cable when I got the new sub. Maybe that was part of the problem.