Careers

Sucking up = move up in any career/job/life?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2006 7:56 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
162 wrote:Woah - reality check needed here right now.
What did he say wrong? I for one do not suck up. The others may choose to suck up on me including my bosses.

I always do extra miles. It is not because I was asked to or expected to. It is I like to.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
alkaseltzer01 wrote:Hmmmm... in my work, you need to screw up to move on up. why?? if you are good at your job, they want to keep you where you are cause they need the job done.

If you're a screwup, they can't fire you because of the union. So to get you out of that job, they promote you.

This is the reality
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
162 wrote:This is the reality
Well, we live in different reality then. In my reality, there is no union.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
gman wrote:What did he say wrong? I for one do not suck up. The others may choose to suck up on me including my bosses.

I always do extra miles. It is not because I was asked to or expected to. It is I like to.
We all do extra miles - reality is, do you promote whomever does the most extra miles? And, how would you measure extra miles? Time? Production? or is it Ass-kissing?, Backstabbing?

Is measuring time donated to an employer a measure of going the extra mile?
Perhaps the time donated by one employee is surpassed by another in half the time! Is this an appropriate measurement - no. Is it fair that one employee raising a family with responsibilities have to compete with an employee with no family and no responsibilities in time donated? -No -

As well as Production - what one employee produces compared to another may work well in the exact same type of work environment. But those type of environments are very few in the job world. Is this an appropriate measurement - in most cases not.

THis is what I meant by my reality check. Most times in my work environment promotions are handed out to what I call local politics. Middle managers have people in their backpocket who have kissed their ass for years and are handed those promotions. They have gotten those promotions either by kissing ass or backstabbing their competition to make themselves look better in their boss' eyes. You can call it a disrespectful workplace or environment and that type of workplace is common.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
162 wrote:We all do extra miles - reality is, do you promote whomever does the most extra miles? And, how would you measure extra miles? Time? Production? or is it Ass-kissing?, Backstabbing?
Production. Both on your own and your effort/advise to improve the overall production of the group, your boss or company.
My value is not just my 'measureable' production. Most of the time is just my suggestion and advise. Sometime when they ask me for opinion in either meeting, lunch, coffee break, my 5 minutes advise/warning can totally change their direction and improve the situation.
Is measuring time donated to an employer a measure of going the extra mile?
Not necessary. Actually, usually, no.
Perhaps the time donated by one employee is surpassed by another in half the time! Is this an appropriate measurement - no.
The one who takes more time to a job is the one who is not productive.
Is it fair that one employee raising a family with responsibilities have to compete with an employee with no family and no responsibilities in time donated? -No -
Yes, it is fair because your personal life is not part of the equation measuring your performance. It never was and never will be.
As well as Production - what one employee produces compared to another may work well in the exact same type of work environment. But those type of environments are very few in the job world. Is this an appropriate measurement - in most cases not.
You need to show your value one way or the other. You need to know what your management like.
THis is what I meant by my reality check. Most times in my work environment promotions are handed out to what I call local politics. Middle managers have people in their backpocket who have kissed their ass for years and are handed those promotions. They have gotten those promotions either by kissing ass or backstabbing their competition to make themselves look better in their boss' eyes. You can call it a disrespectful workplace or environment and that type of workplace is common.
You do whatever you need to make it better in the eyes of your boss. And, kissing ass may not be one of them. It all depends on the management.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
gman wrote:Production. Both on your own and your effort/advise to improve the overall production of the group, your boss or company.
My value is not just my 'measureable' production. Most of the time is just my suggestion and advise. Sometime when they ask me for opinion in either meeting, lunch, coffee break, my 5 minutes advise/warning can totally change their direction and improve the situation.

Not necessary. Actually, usually, no.

The one who takes more time to a job is the one who is not productive.

Yes, it is fair because your personal life is not part of the equation measuring your performance. It never was and never will be.

C'mon you gotta be kidding. If you want any type of morale whatsoever with employees - their personal lives are of interest. Caring about employees identifies their needs - and those needs translate into success for an organization. Unless of course your organization operates on low paying - no education type employees that are in and out like a revolving door.

You need to show your value one way or the other. You need to know what your management like.

You do whatever you need to make it better in the eyes of your boss. And, kissing ass may not be one of them. It all depends on the management.
Wrong again - my opinion is self-esteem and respect. Working in a cutthroat
workplace is a non-productive workplace where employee retention is minimal.
The time and cost of training new employees would burden any production.
Enough said.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
162 wrote:Wrong again - my opinion is self-esteem and respect. Working in a cutthroat
workplace is a non-productive workplace where employee retention is minimal.
The time and cost of training new employees would burden any production.
Enough said.
I don't know what you mean 'wrong again'. Anyway, so, do you mean your definition of reality is to working in a cut throat workplace? Since you dislike your work place so much, is it about time for you to find another job?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
gman wrote:I don't know what you mean 'wrong again'. Anyway, so, do you mean your definition of reality is to working in a cut throat workplace? Since you dislike your work place so much, is it about time for you to find another job?
Nah, I messed up my post - I don't agree in what you said " doing whatever it takes to make it better in the eyes of your boss". Thats what I don't agree with.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
162 wrote:Nah, I messed up my post - I don't agree in what you said " doing whatever it takes to make it better in the eyes of your boss". Thats what I don't agree with.
Fair enough. Well, "doing whatever it takes to make it better in the eyes of your boss" does not necessary giving up "self-esteem and respect". There are many ways to make it better in the eyes of your boss without giving up your principal.

If you always do what your boss dislike or your boss does not like any aspect of you, you should leave. If you still choose to stay, I guess you like your union protection (assuming you have union protection).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)